State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    This is what the Census Bureau has to say about our new county

U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Lemhi County, Idaho

Finding that Asian market mentioned above may be quite the trick, however the stores in Salmon (28 miles away ) seem eager to order and stock anything we ask for and only takes a few days to get. Our new town is 5 miles away and has 273 people counting us. I am only guessing but I think there are 10 times as many Elk, deer and big horn sheep as there are people.
    Hafta tell yah.. you've even got ME digging into Idaho, Wyoming, Montana.

Virginia usta hold a Dumbasscraptic lean, but they were reg'lar folks, mostly.

Ripofflicans hardly being any Saints theyselves, didn't much care ("independent" here..).

Whole tribe of "Dims" seem to have all gone bugfuk on LSD or sumthin, last few years? Politics aside, simply saner, cleaner, safer, lower stress, and lower cost to live in a DEEP RED state nowadays.

Family has been close-on 400 years in Virginia, but seems I can clock the equivalent to a 25% raise in after-tax income (pension & SS) by gettin' TF out of high property assessment and tax "NOVA", free-up $200,000 in paid-for home value I can reliably get 10% to 12% interest on as well.

Lugano, CH, or Oviedo/Gijon/Aviles, ES aren't as sweet, cost of living-wise.

Might be time to relocate, meself... long since OUT of the "workforce" as we are, and Dali, Old City, up on Lake Erhai, Yunnan Province coming off the #1 on our option list the way China is going...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what the Census Bureau has to say about our new county

U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Lemhi County, Idaho

Finding that Asian market mentioned above may be quite the trick, however the stores in Salmon (28 miles away ) seem eager to order and stock anything we ask for and only takes a few days to get. Our new town is 5 miles away and has 273 people counting us. I am only guessing but I think there are 10 times as many Elk, deer and big horn sheep as there are people.
    Careful, be very careful.

Don't doo what "Andy Griffith" did....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What did ol' Andy doo?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What did ol' Andy doo?
    Died. Or so sayeth the funny papers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

What did ol' Andy doo?
    Made his hometown out as being "nerv-vanna", and people flocked to live there.

Now...with all the peeple there....it's not.

6. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is why we have this ol' guy hanging out near the county seat watching out for stuff like that so he can nip it in the bud
    img_6403.jpg

A couple of years back the small county in California where we are leaving they mandated a 40% reduction in water use, people complied and water retes were raised because residential usage went down which put the sewer folks in a dither because they had to start buying water to make the sewer system function causing them to raise their prices.
    PG&E will have to do the same I imagine, one medium size grocery store in our county has a $10,000 per month power bill, most homes are $250. or so. before we put up our solar array we were $1000. per month for a small machine shop. How much does it cost in lost power bills to shut off 950,000 meters for a week? Let alone run trucks and helicopters all over hell day and night so they can reenergize after the wind dies down. I had a guy parked in my driveway a few months back from an independant power line auditing company, I forget the name, but while we were talking he was explaining to me that they were finding more than 60% of California's electric infostructure was at least 10 years past due for replacment.

8. Likes shpxnvz liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I were a Californian I might wonder if I would be better off if California was a country and not a state.

Economy of California - Wikipedia

If it came to "leaving" then Brexit is a great example of what not to do.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

they were finding more than 60% of California's electric ^^^ insultfuckedyour ^^^ was at least 10 years past due for replacement.
    There. Fixed that for yah.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    If I were a Californian I might wonder if I would be better off if California was a country and not a state.

Economy of California - Wikipedia

If it came to "leaving" then Brexit is a great example of what not to do.
    One could see merit in that.

Soviet Union fails twice in his lifetime, Vladimir Vladimirovitch Putin might kindly blow his OWN brains out 'stead of those of other people?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Soviet Union fails twice in his lifetime, Vladimir Vladimirovitch Putin might kindly blow his OWN brains out....
    Better he would put his pet orange-hair dog to sleep.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Better he would put his pet orange-hair dog to sleep.
    Ah, "TDS", doncha just love it? The gift that keeps on giving!

14. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Made his hometown out as being "nerv-vanna", and people flocked to live there.

Now...with all the peeple there....it's not.
    FWIW, folks I know in Mt. Airy seem to like it just fine. The one street of Andy Griffith tourist trap wouldn't be my choice, but these days they still have affordable housing, better than average employment, a few good restaurants, and their old-timey music. Pretty country North of town and lots to do in the Raleigh-Durham area to the Southeast. Given easy access to highways might not even be a bad place to have a machining business that needed good distribution -- there used to be lots of trucking companies outside of town. Biggest problem in the area has been loss of well-paying jobs (Starrett is just holding on, furniture business long gone, tobacco not so much a force anymore . . .). That and schools a bit below par.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    FWIW, folks I know in Mt. Airy seem to like it just fine. The one street of Andy Griffith tourist trap wouldn't be my choice, but these days they still have affordable housing, better than average employment, a few good restaurants, and their old-timey music. Pretty country North of town and lots to do in the Raleigh-Durham area to the Southeast. Given easy access to highways might not even be a bad place to have a machining business that needed good distribution -- there used to be lots of trucking companies outside of town. Biggest problem in the area has been loss of well-paying jobs (Starrett is just holding on, furniture business long gone, tobacco not so much a force anymore . . .). That and schools a bit below par.
    Mr. Griffith was quoted later in life lamenting the influx he felt he caused.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fabworks View Post
    California's new flag

Attachment 269173
    I like it....brings this 'toon to mind:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mgg-2016-03-31.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I like it....brings this 'toon to mind:
    he shoved them up his ass?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ate them,I think......and looks like kustomizer has moved to Siberia,the cold part.....I think 55F is cold,so 30 below wouldnt suit me.....or my knees.....Ive already got palm trees growing in the yard (they are weeds here),and with 30 ft rise in sea level,I will have beachfront....lovely.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    So...since Mr Griffith, the town has gotten interstates, more people, industry and trucks.

And now the industry is gone, there is high un-employment, and it still "nirvana" ?

Yup, I think ole' Andy got it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Ah, "TDS", doncha just love it? The gift that keeps on giving!
    Nah, it's really GAS. Guilliani Amusement Syndrome. Butt dialer extraordinaire.

Or, could be IES..

Impeachment Excitement Syndrome.

Possibly BAS - Bolton Amazement Syndrome. As in, I'm completely amazed that *he's* the adult in the room now.

But really, it has to be VBSS. Virginia Blue State Syndrome!

22. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    he shoved them up his ass?

FWIW the daily paper published this during the week, so it was B&W, and I didn't see the funny of it.
    Until I went to the creators website and saw it in color did it click.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems the solution to overgrowth that fuels fire is already proven.

Goats!

4 to Watch: Meet the Sure-Footed Grazing Service Goats Who Help Defend the Reagan Library - NBC Southern California

"Firefighters worked tireless to protect homes and the hilltop Reagan Library when a brush fire roared through the Simi Valley area last month. They had some help from a herd of sure-footed goats with an appetite for brush clearance."

"When it comes to protecting buildings from wildfires, one of the most effective strategies is to clear out nearby brush well before the fire. And, to make sure that job gets done thoroughly with unrivaled enthusiasm, the Reagan Library in Simi Valley turns to the experts -- this herd of grazing service goats."