Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    We have fires every year. Some worse than others. Shrug. It's part of the landscape.

Most people assume it'll never happen to them & do nothing to prepare.

I've just finished all the control burning to the west of me where a fire is most likely to come from, and have extra water stored along with a couple fire pumps. Everything's cleared right to the boundary.

My neighbours to the west - Greenies who believe in letting vegetation rot naturally, not burning it. Good luck to them when the fire eventually comes because I'm not expending my resources defending their place. Sounds pretty harsh but they've been warned and not just by me.

PDW
    I have very good friends that luckily avoided major damage in the Paradise fire. (they were just outside enough to avoid it.) They were much like you. Took all the precautions and saved their place.

They are VERY progressive, but as their daughter was at risk, they saw the light and held the line.

I'm so glad that it worked out for them, and you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While there is certainly much to criticize about PG&E it seems that California's environmental policies are also to blame for the severity of the wildfires in recent years as fuel loads have been allowed to build up to dangerous levels. The smaller fires that normally would have consumed excess fuel were suppressed during the same period that clearing by forestry practices declined severely due to new regulations.

California's Devastating Fires Are Man-Caused -- But Not In The Way They Tell Us

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    While there is certainly much to criticize about PG&E it seems that California's environmental policies are also to blame for the severity of the wildfires in recent years as fuel loads have been allowed to build up to dangerous levels. The smaller fires that normally would have consumed excess fuel were suppressed during the same period that clearing by forestry practices declined severely due to new regulations.

California's Devastating Fires Are Man-Caused -- But Not In The Way They Tell Us
    This is so true, on top of that these bigger hotter fires burn all the seeds that need a normal fires heat to germinate. Also a normal fire will scorch a large tree but not kill it. Now since we do not let fires burn and nobody green wants any clearing of dead wood and thick underbrush the fires get way hotter than they normally would and do not grow back quite sa fast, then there are mudslides at first rain.....

4. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw today there is a new cell phone app that will alarm when the earth starts shaking. They have the app connected to monitoring and will improve the app as time goes on. Think the news is out of Berkeley Ca.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Saw today there is a new cell phone app that will alarm when the earth starts shaking. They have the app connected to monitoring and will improve the app as time goes on. Think the news is out of Berkeley Ca.
    Actually, snakes and insects and the sort will come out of the ground right before the earth starts shaking. That what I
    m counting on. Much cheaper and probably more reliable.

7. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    Actually, snakes and insects and the sort will come out of the ground right before the earth starts shaking. That what I
    m counting on. Much cheaper and probably more reliable.
    So I'm guessing the lawyers start crawling out during the aftershocks?

9. Likes Trueturning, tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    So I'm guessing the lawyers start crawling out during the aftershocks?
    For sure and insurance agents hide where the bugs just left under a rock.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More fires I am sad to see. The fires seem to happen every year. It is pretty dry here lately too. These tropical depressions are welcome from the fact they bring rain.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably dry from all the weather modification. Bet if you destroy haarp in Alaska your dry weather will go away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    More fires I am sad to see. The fires seem to happen every year. It is pretty dry here lately too. These tropical depressions are welcome from the fact they bring rain.
    A high percentage of them are arson, maybe they should start burning the fire bugs alive as a deterrent.

14. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    A high percentage of them are arson, maybe they should start burning the fire bugs alive as a deterrent.
    or at least a public stoning.

16. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zero sympathy for California and their fires fueled by endless scrub they are forbidden by law to hold back.

Too long California has attempted to set standards across the country bordering crazy.

This PG&E thing is really screwing the works for everyone in the US as all the power companies will want to protect their equipment from storms and hazards.

So California why not write legislation to eliminate all power poles and above ground utilities. That would be an awesome move that should be forced across the country, and you wouldn't be thought of as so crazy. Win Win

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathogen View Post
    Zero sympathy for California and their fires fueled by endless scrub they are forbidden by law to hold back.

Too long California has attempted to set standards across the country bordering crazy.

This PG&E thing is really screwing the works for everyone in the US as all the power companies will want to protect their equipment from storms and hazards.

So California why not write legislation to eliminate all power poles and above ground utilities. That would be an awesome move that should be forced across the country, and you wouldn't be thought of as so crazy. Win Win

I live in a city that was master planned, and all utilities city wide are underground.

After Hurricane Irma, we went without power for about 2.5 days, and the water stayed on with no boil water advisory (as many other parts of Florida had). As soon as the line to our substation was repaired, we were enjoying AC and ice cubes. Underground utilities rock.

19. Likes Pathogen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    I live in a city that was master planned, and all utilities city wide are underground.

After Hurricane Irma, we went without power for about 2.5 days, and the water stayed on with no boil water advisory (as many other parts of Florida had). As soon as the line to our substation was repaired, we were enjoying AC and ice cubes. Underground utilities rock.
    Lucky you! We were without power for a week. Not only that, but we had the only tree down for blocks around. Of course it took out 2 of the "patio" walls out front (cinder block, not connected to the house) thankfully no structure damage to the house.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has not gone without notice. Justice of a sort, in that the old saw has come true and the Kalifornickyah SSR has become the proverbial:

"Joke of many butts."

... or something like that.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pardon me, but this is bs. Maybe, since you live in Florida, you should not comment on California, about which you seem to know not much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

keep in mind that it's not uncommon for a California governor to become president. That's a fact that should scare the living shit out of all of you.

24. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Probably dry from all the weather modification. Bet if you destroy haarp in Alaska your dry weather will go away.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. The Santa Ana winds and the wildfires they fan have been around for a very long time and were first written about in the 1800s.

The difference today is that small fires are suppressed and fuel allowed to build up, eventually leading to the mega-fires of recent years. When I was working in CA back in the 80s the AF had crews constantly cutting and removing the brush around base buildings and roads. Apparently such practices are heavily regulated today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The way California manages it's land whether owned by a city, county , state or even National Forrest Service is a sight to behold. I had first hand knowledge of this when I used to cut firewood on National Forrest land and State of California property. Their management of the land seems to value the welfare of animals over people, even animals that are in abundance. I had open permits to take any downed trees or standing dead pine in designated areas. In other areas they allowed only marked trees to be cut, oddly enough in many of the areas where there was marked tree cutting only everything was standing dead, killed by bark beetles. Logic there was if all the dead trees were taken out the area would be too barren. This was close to the area where the Old Fire of 2003 caused a billion dollars of damage and cost a half dozen lives. That was a tragedy waiting for a place to happen, there was too much dry timber left in that area and surrounding ones. Can't blame the budget either as plenty of people were willing to pay to take the dead trees out and sell the wood.

Another good one was trees they determined to be "wild life trees". A lot of these were very large dead oaks. You were not allowed to take them, even if they were by a road or structure even if it was obvious they were ready to keel over any minute. Logic was they were prime for nesting birds, they didn't care if a 5 cord oak was standing right next to a well traveled road or a building.

They even fight the green power people, for great comedy read up on the issues of building a wind farm or solar farm there. Concerns for the habitat of rattlesnakes, jack rabbits and tumbleweeds are front and center.

27. Likes Trueturning, shpxnvz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    keep in mind that it's not uncommon for a California governor to become president. That's a fact that should scare the living shit out of all of you.
    Figure New York or Chicago is any better? Might not be a BAD thing, that effect.

Might even be the "real reason" I've lost fifty pounds last several years?

If a body can't RUN any faster, at least we can hide in smaller spaces....