Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry guys that y’all are suffering there. There is drought in Texas and Florida now. Just bad weather and climate change. I am no expert. Wish y’all get some relief.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One "expert" ("ex", as in former, "spurt", as in drip under pressure) has run his looter-mouth arredy:

California Gov. Newsom blasts PG&E for '''greed''' after taking utility campaign contributions | Fox Business

This looks like the path to a sane resolution for those being burnt-out or loosing income and expensive groceries they had meant to EAT, not discard for rotting, fridge/freezers to-home and supermart alike too-long dark?

Just how, and Just WHEN?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I'm sitting here in San Francisco Bay Area and definately feeling like its armageddon here. Power in my shop has been out for 2 days, same as occurred two weeks ago. The smoke from the Kincade Fire is so thick that it is uncomfortable going outside, get a headache when I do. It's been very windy and unseasonably warm today. What's next ????

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by drcoelho View Post
    So I'm sitting here in San Francisco Bay Area and definately feeling like its armageddon here. Power in my shop has been out for 2 days, same as occurred two weeks ago. The smoke from the Kincade Fire is so thick that it is uncomfortable going outside, get a headache when I do. It's been very windy and unseasonably warm today. What's next ????
    What's NEXT? Or What will not CEASE?

Is it true that the fire "season" runs clear to April of 2020 before it hands-off to rain, floods, and mudslides?

Then WORSENS each year from now until expiration from old-age if not incineration, violence, or tax-to-death FIRST?

"Hauling ass, PCS" might be a wise entry on your dance-card? New York or Taxatwoshits deserve it so they can fail faster, too.

Any saner place, please leave the fairy-tale blame-game parasitical politics and drugs behind to burn.

We don't have that many other States we can afford to spare at being fucked-up a-purpose.

[1] PERMANENT Change of Station

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thermite, PLEASE provide some encouragement, I really don't want to leave....weather is too good "most" of the time.....I'm optimistically thinking maybe the voters will get pissed off enough to elect some adults after they suffer through a year or two of rapidly degrading electrical supply...we'll see....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thermite, PLEASE provide some encouragement, I really don't want to leave....weather is too good "most" of the time.....I'm optimistically thinking maybe the voters will get pissed off enough to elect some adults after they suffer through a year or two of rapidly degrading electrical supply...we'll see....
    I don't "want to" grow old and decrepit any more than you want to move home and business.

But it still beats all Hell out of the alternative!

I'd be DEAD WRONG to encourage any ordinary HUMAN to believe Mother Nature on a PMS rage could be f**ked-with and expect to live a "normal" life. It gets financially easier after the first wipe-out? Or is it the fourth?

It would not matter you elected Josef Stalin & Klim Voroshilov and put the whole State on a "Great Patriotic War" footing. Even THEY had to move an entire nation's mills and factories clear to the "East of The Urals". Guess how many of their nationals died who never laid eyes on a German, armed or otherwise?

It is beyond politics.

Not because what is happening NOW could not have been reduced IF all the right things had been done starting 20 and more years ago and steadfastly continued.

Because this is only the beginning. There is no longer ENOUGH MONEY. All they have plenty of is LIES.

And it WILL be getting WORSE!

Did I fail to mention "beyond Politics?"

I cannot fix that. You cannot fix that. "THEY" cannot fix that either. Too late. California has already seen the back of any sane politician, and long-since. They could not fight hordes of air-heads. They've given it up and moved-on. Or soon will. One-party State. You get what you got.

Even if otherwise, the level of effort it would take to fix it would bankrupt the nation, not just the State.

Look at the acreage. Stuff grows. And then it grows BACK!

Meanwhile, we have hurricanes and floods, Texas, the Gulf, the Midwest, and East Coast?

Nasty as they are, relocate higher, build and plan according? THOSE one can then survive. Not fun. Not cheap. But do-able..

Fires that run with winds and gusts of 70 to 90 MPH? No such preparation as anyone can afford.

Bunkers. Deep ones. With their own air & power. Underground cities and factories in Earthquake zones? Concrete-over all forests? Even just CLEAR the forests, Every year and more than once a year?

Who pays?

Whom is it would want to live that way, emerge after days to nought but ashes in every direction and the "new normal" of California "Weather, UNDERGROUND"?

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=thermite;3434286] Even just CLEAR the forests, Every year and more than once a year?

QUOTE]

I have some mates in Cali, well two less now as they did a runner to other states, but they say the state stopped clearing the brush a couple of years ago.
    Stupidly building where they shouldn't.
    Crap forest management made harder now because of the eco-loons.
    Neglect of an aging power grid because of meddling from the gubmint hindering any upgrade.
    And now climate change is the reason

The richest state in the world...a gold mine ran like a coal mine.

8. Likes shpxnvz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Even just CLEAR the forests, Every year and more than once a year?
    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    I have some mates in Cali, well two less now as they did a runner to other states, but they say the state stopped clearing the brush a couple of years ago.
    Stupidly building where they shouldn't.
    Crap forest management made harder now because of the eco-loons.
    Neglect of an aging power grid because of meddling from the gubmint hindering any upgrade.
    And now climate change is the reason

The richest state in the world...a gold mine ran like a coal mine.
    They are no longer all that rich, if ever even, they were, recent decade or two.

I said they had more lies than any other resources. There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

How d'yah figure to pay for pensions when the taxpayers can't get to a business nor work for lack of power if they can? Where did their customers go?

How may billions have been spent on the Paradise fire, how many people and how many homes and businesses have returned?

PG&E has been the "ATM Machine" for politicians. How can you clear trees or upgrade power lines with money that went down THAT rats-hole?

PG&E is bankrupt already, How many MORE times than ONE can it go bankrupt to cover NEW liabilities?

And so on..

Plenty of INFORMATION out there. It isn't FIXING a damned thing, not even the imperfections in the previous lie.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How d'yah figure to pay for pensions ..
    What are they running at - 1xTrillion deficit?

I'd give the place back to Messyco...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What are they running at - 1xTrillion deficit?

I'd give the place back to Messyco...
    They have been TRYING that off the back of shifting the percentage of the population.

Mexico ain't dumb nor desperate enough to take on a legacy of even worse government than they are already long used to.

Nor the debt attached:

No, California's Finances Are Not Back In Black

Public Pensions in California - Public Policy Institute of California

The larger issue is that all the maths were done BEFORE California's fire-damage risks went up 500% and its power predictability went dodgier than Venezuela's

And Oh, by the way? Have a look at MEXICO'S OWN forest-fires currently burning... sneaking across the border to try to make a go of it in Mexico won't help.
    Last edited by thermite; 10-28-2019 at 04:36 PM.

12. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing I'm surprised we haven't heard from yet (in this forum thread) is surprised and disappointed California solar cell owners who thought their rooftop cells and inverters would provide power in the event of grid failure.

A lot of people were unpleasantly surprised to find this out. And this article is dead wrong. Batteries are not the only way to use solar cells without the grid. With a backup generator and transfer switch the cells can drastically reduce the load on the generator, saving fuel in the process. This has already been done at various facilities throughout the country such as fire and police stations and municipal buildings used as emergency shelters.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...k-in-blackouts

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm optimistically thinking maybe the voters will get pissed off enough to elect some adults
    What have you been smokin? The Voters? They elected that sack of shit Brown 4 times. Not once, 4 times. They elected Davis twice, and that utterly useless piece of shit Swanznegger. You still have faith in the voters? Give it up

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    One thing I'm surprised we haven't heard yet is surprised and disappointed California solar cell owners who thought their rooftop cells and inverters would provide power in the event of grid failure.
    Grid tie is the dumb and costly route. I'd like the system to benefit ME, thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    What have you been smokin? The Voters? They elected that sack of shit Brown 4 times. Not once, 4 times. They elected Davis twice, and that utterly useless piece of shit Swanznegger. You still have faith in the voters? Give it up
    Ermm.. that's like Clinton bashing, Bush bashing, Obama bashing, Trump bashing .. and expecting any particular outcome. Or even predictability. There's no there there.

The PROBLEM goes clear down to school boards, municipal, county, and more than just the Governator even within the State.

We look only to the current guy at the "top" largely because we do not KNOW anything useful about the larger horde, nor can be bothered to try to make a positive difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How good is a small modern generator for all the computer appliances now. I do not mean real computers but stoves, washing machines and fridges have computer controls now. Do they do okay on generator power or is it too "dirty" for the control computers?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    How good is a small modern generator for all the computer appliances now. I do not mean real computers but stoves, washing machines and fridges have computer controls now. Do they do okay on generator power or is it too "dirty" for the control computers?
    Can't speak for the "inverter" types - plenty of info online, I am sure.

Legacy "rotating power" generator heads, OTOH have the same clean sine-wave quality as utility mains.

Not many - if any - are anywhere near as precise at holding dead-on 60 Hz or 50 Hz under varying load. Not a problem, even so.

Voltage sag and rebound under motor starting loads or heavy loads in general, worst-case, sudden breaker-trip, or nastiness shared off nasty loads might be among the only concerns - ANY type of gen set or even inverter off a battery-bank.

Not worried, here about the copious electronics goods. My 10/12 KVA MEP-803A was good enough to power NATO's needs, it has proven good enough for mine.

Got tired of fan noise ages ago, so the 'puters are all silent AMD laptops (and one MacBook Pro..) else handhelds anyway. All are "floating" a battery, and that helps make them more or less immune to line trash or brief outages if I am messing with the power.

Two large LG "Mezzanine" fridge/freezer, older one conventional, newer one linear/VFD compressor, no issues atall. Planned that way. They are the "critical power" load, after all.

Nothing else (Air con XOR baseboard electric heat) is all that critical.

Plenty of power for the electric range, but Diesel ain't free, so cooking goes over to bottled gas and Microwave during outages. Also stretches time between runs of the gen set at all.

Whirlpool "Cabrio" and GE "Profile" Dryer both seem to have VFD drives and AI (Artificial Idiot) 'tronics, just from the sounds they make. Should be zero issues, rotating power, but never have run either one off the gen set. Just wait out the outages. So far.

"Page Two:"

It can make a certain sense to run food storage off an inverter and battery bank all the time, regardless of whatever ELSE you do. Goes a day or so toward inherent "fail safe" if you are not to-home with no need of complex automatic transfer switching.

Even rather modest solar can handle most if not all of that "indefinitely".
    A mains charger keeps them topped-up as well.

The combo lets you not have to run the gen set after folks have retired for the evening or even run it for very many hours of the day at all.

Quieter, safer, can do the needfuls even if you are away for months.

Fuel supply also goes further when you are in residence..

Add a wee gen set and even when no sun, the larger "whole house" Diesel can be offline when there isn't "whole house" load enough to prevent "wet stacking".

Main thing still on MY "to do" list is finding a decent and affordable "saltwater" battery bank before I need to renew the lead-acid ones. 24 VDC or 48 VDC my preference. Telco pensioner, y'see.

Last thought is to live sanely and find you need about a THIRD (or less..) the generator capability those who make their living peddling them THINK you do, yet don't miss a thing.

I do not, however, consider anything with RPM higher than 1800, nor gasoline fueled a "generator" of anything but noise, rude surprises, refueling fire-hazard, and suction hoses for money.

Nat gas if yah got it. LPG, maybe. Diesel, preferably. I did say "Telco pensioner?"

YMMV ... but if PG&E cuts power? Their nat gas compressors may be offline too?

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice article...Sad reading...

California has much, much bigger problems than wildfires – Days of Sunshine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

20. Likes Scottl, ifixcnc, Matt_Maguire liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Sad" doesn't begin to cover it....

In many ways "past the point of no return", actually.

Seriously hard to FUND corrective actions even if the State were put under martial Law by the most trustworthy of off-planet mentors or divine angels, when the damage is hammering the economy and will worsen.

Whom can possibly PAY for what it will take?

Federal disaster relief?

Get real!

Rest of the country can't afford it if even they gave a damn what Kalifornikyah SSR had brought down on their own heads, homes, and ass-ettes.

Damned shame. Was once a borderline MAGICAL place, old California, was.

Where to start over?

Here yah go. The bluer the state, the further downslope to Politically Correct economic suicide.

The redder and darker, the healthier and longer run-time before it falls to the suicidal parasites who believe they can simply vote themselves Other People's Money, forever:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...after_2016.svg

22. Likes ifixcnc, digger doug, Yan Wo, barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The redder and darker, the healthier and longer run-time before it falls to the suicidal parasites who believe they can simply vote themselves Other People's Money, forever:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...after_2016.svg
    But think of the equality! And just think! When their policies make things really bad, there is nothing more equal that death.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grid tie is the dumb and costly route. I'd like the system to benefit ME, thanks.
    Grid tie systems are great when the grid is reliable, GT systems take high voltage DC and convert to AC which is more efficient than off grid systems.
    Off grid systems require extra components like a charge controller and battery bank plus additional wiring of increased gauge sizes. In addition off grid systems can take the same high voltage DC input but then needs to reduce the voltage to the battery bank voltage (12, 24 or 48 are typical) then the inverter will output to 120 or 240vac. There's losses in doing this versus the GT system. The off grid systems obviously are there when you personally need them but you're not running a machine shop with the power available. A diesel generator is a better alternative. The GT inverters need to meet UL1741 anti-islanding requirement so they aren't putting power back on the grid when there's a lineman working, so when the grid goes down the inverter shuts down. There's pros and cons to both systems, there's also the option of a grid tie system that goes to off grid battery backup when the grid goes down. That's a different inverter from manufacturers like Outback Power. Grid tie systems are actually cheaper in terms of installation cost and the reduced power bill in backfeeding the grid.