Carrot or the stick- Tax cuts and trade! - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    442
    Likes (Received)
    1747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Excuse me?

    The president is in his discussion of trade with Mexico:

    "When we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don’t trade anymore-we win big. It’s easy!"

    A poster above is:

    "Trump has realised there is a trade imbalance with china if they did no trade with china they would be better off"
    You are confusing rhetoric with policy, the US isn't going to halt trade with anyone. Trump is simply trying to alter the status quo.

    I might not agree with his language, but I recognize and agree with his objective.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    You are confusing rhetoric with policy, the US isn't going to halt trade with anyone. Trump is simply trying to alter the status quo.

    I might not agree with his language, but I recognize and agree with his objective.
    Having (great) objectives is good. The problems start with the wrong approach to achieving them.

    You won't find the leaders of many countries openly criticizing the USA but note what they do. The name of the game is "diplomacy" and that's something Trump has yet to master.

    Seriously, how would any of you react if threatened? Can you imagine any leader of any country giving in to a threat? Trump still hasn't realized that running a country is nothing like running a company.

    OEC

    - China (CHN) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners


    China Trade Statistics | WITS

    China Exports | 1983-218 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast | News

    Probably not a good idea to piss Mexico off too much.

    OEC

    - United States (USA) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners

  3. Likes Spinit liked this post
  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pinckney Mi.
    Posts
    2,939
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5269
    Likes (Received)
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    And there you have it in what you wrote. "to my knowledge". I'm not saying you are ignorant but you probably don't get much news on what goes on in the EU. I can imagine most news media don't find it attracts enough viewers and readers - unless of course it is some kind of "sensation". OTOH we drown daily with news on the antics of Trump and Congress.

    As things are just now Russia is perceived (by the EU) as the greatest threat to peace although with Trump anything can happen. He's certainly causing a shitstorm in the world with trade to the benefit of no "ordinary Joe".
    "ordinary Joe"
    why hell no Gordon,the conman is out to make him and a couple of swampys rich.
    (richer) meantime, carnival act for the knuckle draggers.
    give em beer and football ,they are happy.
    Gw

  5. Likes JoeE., janvanruth liked this post
  6. #44
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3052
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    Don’t most people think that the US found it in their interests to support China? We made sure they entered the WTO and also we wished them to have favored trade status. Considering their condition under Hard core Communism which was so horrendous we returned to our favorable outlook to China which has been historic I think despite the war in Korea. We supported China in WW2 against the Japanese even before we officially stood against Japan and supporting China. Many a day while growing up as a child I was told by my parents and school principle to eat every thing on my plate as if I wasted it was viewed as bad because there were starving children in China. This was the 60’s. I do not dislike the Chinese now and short of being threatened by them I am glad they have done well. I do not feel that their success should have on the balance scale harmed us or reduced our prosperity. I feel that may have just been a lack of action to bring it to fair between us. Maybe it was because we had money and they did not so they just were more competitive because we got fat and lazy.

  7. #45
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    and yet it is widely known China has not adhered fairly as regards trade
    Seriously? How many countries can you name that does? I'm at a loss to name one.

    Multi national companies are probably worst as they do everything they can (legally and illegally) to avoid paying tax and that is part of unfair trading.

  8. Likes JoeE. liked this post
  9. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3160
    Likes (Received)
    3583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I'm not saying you are ignorant but you probably don't get much news on what goes on in the EU.
    Ignorance means a lack of knowledge or being unaware, so in fact you are saying he is ignorant of what goes on in the EU. As Will Rogers said, we are all ignorant, just of different things. Only those on the playground or the mentally feeble might view it as an insult.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Seriously? How many countries can you name that does? I'm at a loss to name one.
    .
    Its always going to be shades of grey, but the problems with China are far worse than with others and they are a major trading partner. The three largest infractions off the top of my head would be decades of currency manipulation/suppression, blatant disregard of IP rules and countless tariff and non tariff barriers to trade and investment in the other direction. Perhaps on this you are ignorant?

    I've little good to say about anything the current US admin has done, but identifying the economic elephants in the room and pressing on them isn't a bad thing imo. The intent (one would think) isn't to stop trade, its to press for concessions, a better shade of grey in those and other areas.

  10. #47
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    I wrote "I'm not saying you are ignorant but you probably don't get much news on what goes on in the EU."

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Ignorance means a lack of knowledge or being unaware, so in fact you are saying he is ignorant of what goes on in the EU. As Will Rogers said, we are all ignorant, just of different things. Only those on the playground or the mentally feeble might view it as an insult.
    You manage to get that to I'm saying he's ignorant I believe I wrote the opposite. I also wrote " probably don't get much news on what goes on in the EU". Do you for example think you get anywhere near as much as I do? You try too hard to find things wrong with what others post although heaven help anyone that criticizes your blabber.

  11. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3160
    Likes (Received)
    3583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You manage to get that to I'm saying he's ignorant I believe I wrote the opposite. I also wrote " probably don't get much news on what goes on in the EU". Do you for example think you get anywhere near as much as I do? You try too hard to find things wrong with what others post although heaven help anyone that criticizes your blabber.

    You wrote the opposite, but you didn't know what you were saying.

    I am relatively ignorant on general EU current events compared to anyone who lives there and pays attention. Relatively is a catchall, I could be more knowledgeable than you on a specific as you could about one here. On the subject of blabber, I also consider you to have deep expertise.

    Forgetting all the BS, you didn't respond to the important stuff re China and trade?

  12. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Its always going to be shades of grey, but the problems with China are far worse than with others and they are a major trading partner. The three largest infractions off the top of my head would be decades of currency manipulation/suppression, blatant disregard of IP rules and countless tariff and non tariff barriers to trade and investment in the other direction. Perhaps on this you are ignorant?

    I've little good to say about anything the current US admin has done, but identifying the economic elephants in the room and pressing on them isn't a bad thing imo. The intent (one would think) isn't to stop trade, its to press for concessions, a better shade of grey in those and other areas.
    I think our problems regarding trade with China are largely of our own making.
    The USA allowed the multinationals to dictate our trade policy...even the largely ‘local’ power centers like Walmart controlled what globalization meant here in the USA.
    I do not blame the Chinese government one bit for protecting their people and their sovereignty from the global financial forces that do so much damage to those nations that don’t.

  13. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4411
    Likes (Received)
    4297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    We have done tax credits for companies that manufacture domestically. It helps, but it's not nearly enough and they were just temporary.

    The tax cuts help make U.S. companies more competitive globally, and make the US more attractive as a place to locate.

    Tariffs are protectionist measures, pure and simple. Not saying they are necessarily bad- just protectionist.

    Our trade deals favor US AG at the expense of US manufacturing. The deals harm the AG sector of the partner country and benefit their manufacturing sector. They are crammed with special carve-outs and exemptions for certain companies that have political clout.

    Trump is trying to alter the status quo. This is why AG is screaming bloody murder right now- and it's a very powerful lobby in D.C.
    AG (agriculture) has a lot of pull. Over the years we've had a lot of "gentlemen farmers" in Congress and the executive branch.

    According to this piece "the largest 15 percent of farm businesses receive 85 percent of the subsidies." They also have (had?) great influence on trade policy.

    What Are U.S. Farm Subsidies and Why Do They Matter?

  14. #51
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    AG (agriculture) has a lot of pull. Over the years we've had a lot of "gentlemen farmers" in Congress and the executive branch.

    According to this piece "the largest 15 percent of farm businesses receive 85 percent of the subsidies." They also have (had?) great influence on trade policy.

    What Are U.S. Farm Subsidies and Why Do They Matter?
    I believe that's called "Looking out for your own".

  15. #52
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I am relatively ignorant.
    Forgetting all the BS, you didn't respond to the important stuff re China and trade?
    I've written often about my opinion on China and trade. I've been to China several times, sell to China and buy from China. Never a problem.

    Number of Chinese millionaires sees rapid surge | Business| Economy and finance news from a German perspective | DW | 2.6.217

    I wish our government would interfere as much as some think the Chinese government does

  16. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3160
    Likes (Received)
    3583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I've written often about my opinion on China and trade. I've been to China several times, sell to China and buy from China. Never a problem.

    I wish our government would interfere as much as some think the Chinese government does
    I'm aware you are long on opinion, just the rest of it that needs work. The above remark suggests you do not understand the basics of say how their pegged currency has worked.

  17. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    AG (agriculture) has a lot of pull. Over the years we've had a lot of "gentlemen farmers" in Congress and the executive branch.

    According to this piece "the largest 15 percent of farm businesses receive 85 percent of the subsidies." They also have (had?) great influence on trade policy.

    What Are U.S. Farm Subsidies and Why Do They Matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I believe that's called "Looking out for your own".
    It’s called American Capitalism.
    Do not question it.
    Those subsidies, like the elimination of estate taxes “save the poor family farm”.

  18. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I'm aware you are long on opinion, just the rest of it that needs work. The above remark suggests you do not understand the basics of say how their pegged currency has worked.
    Their currency is great.
    It gave us thousands of Walmart’s full of cheap goods, electronics etcetera.
    It helped bring millions of Chinese people out of poverty.
    It helped grow an entire nation into the second largest economy in the world.

    What’s the problem?

  19. #56
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I'm aware you are long on opinion, just the rest of it that needs work. The above remark suggests you do not understand the basics of say how their pegged currency has worked.
    Maybe you can explain to the rest of us what it is China is doing so wrong that the people are getting richer?

  20. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3160
    Likes (Received)
    3583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post

    What’s the problem?
    if you don't already see it, there would be zero point in wasting time attempting to explain it. A troll is never wrong, right?

  21. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    if you don't already see it, there would be zero point in wasting time attempting to explain it. A troll is never wrong, right?
    There is no problem.
    They just looked out for their people and nation...
    We sold ours to Walmart.

    Who made the mistake?

    Oh, I see.
    You thought Walmart, apple, etcetera had the interests of American citizens and national sovereignty in mind when they crafted our trade relationships?
    Why would you think that?
    Why would you think that our national politicians would NOT back up those interests.

    Oh right...
    The Market is God.

  22. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    7,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    378
    Likes (Received)
    6350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    ..........

    Oh right...
    The Market is God.
    No the consumer is god and every time you touch a smart phone you are part of this change.
    Think hard the J-a-pan and that other place.
    GM at one time 619,000 people, over 60,000 in my town alone in one facility, now... and they are a distant shadow of that.
    Certainly automation has also taken a bite but the world marches on.
    Blaming others for kicking our butts due to this or that favor will never help us regain top of the mountain and is just plain whining.
    The rules have moved and we should kick butt and take names or resign our commission.
    I will not accept "it's not fair" as any sort of excuse.
    Kill or be killed, that is the game. One does not piss and whine about favors or advantages if you play as this stuff always is on the board inside the states or worldwide.

    I have no seeing of China as a "bad guy".
    A ruthless competitor using every thing they have at their disposal. Yes, and would do the same.
    No quarter given, none expected in return.

    Bob

  23. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
  24. #60
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    if you don't already see it, there would be zero point in wasting time attempting to explain it. A troll is never wrong, right?
    So you think you're never wrong?


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •