Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Heavy sandstorm hits Beijing - China News - SINA English

Controlling a sandstorm is almost like stopping a volcano. We have sandstorms in parts of Denmark where there are large sandy areas.

Wow this is air pollution Phoenix Dust Storm: Video of Doomsday Scenes in Arizona - YouTube

Gordon
    No need to be facetious, Gordon B. Clarke. Sandstorms can and will certainly show up in photographs and on radar. What's next, volcanoes? If you must clutch at straws, should the subject of 'polution' come up again, here's another natural occurrence that you can use to sway the topic. Be forewarned though, this radar image is from the U.S.A. and is possible because of the clean environment we enjoy. Mayfly hatch visible on doppler radar | Updraft | Minnesota Public Radio News

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
    No need to be facetious, Gordon B. Clarke. Sandstorms can and will certainly show up in photographs and on radar. What's next, volcanoes? If you must clutch at straws, should the subject of 'polution' come up again, here's another natural occurrence that you can use to sway the topic. Be forewarned though, this radar image is from the U.S.A. and is possible because of the clean environment we enjoy. Mayfly hatch visible on doppler radar | Updraft | Minnesota Public Radio News

Peddler:
    STOP giving this guy more you tube links..........that's all we need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[/QUOTE]

Why does North Africa show so much pollution? I don't recall Africa being a industrialized nation.

So Far West In NC I might just be in TN or GA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post

Why does North Africa show so much pollution? I don't recall Africa being a industrialized nation.
    Because they use fossil fuels(coal), wood, dung, and anything else they can B-U-R-N to heat and provide energy. They rely heavily on sulphur laden coals for much of their energy production(particularly electricity and heat), they already have a year round "dust bowl" due to their agricultural system and poor practices, and much of it is equatorial so you have the heat and climate playing into it to. It is now part of the politically correct culture to say that the jet stream and ocean currents around coastal areas of Africa also play a big role, but if you read an environmental economics journal you'll find that isn't as clear as they like to let on...

There are also desert oil fields all over the place from Nigeria to Libya, and most of the refineries around the north and the coast, and they run wide open 24/7 and they've never heard of a scrubber.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Until 2007, the US was the world's biggest air polluter, and 75% of that was from motor vehicles. China took the top spot in 2007.

That band of air pollution is Nigeria on the SouthWest side and Cairo on the Northeast side. Unimaginable numbers of old vehicles running leaded gasoline, desperately poor people burning anything they can get their hands on for fuel, oil refineries with no pollution controls...

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First off Africa isn't a nation, it's a continent. i'd suggest you take a look at the population sizes in some of the African countries and that might give you a hint.

Secondly the reason for much of the air polution in for example Beijing is caused by sand storms coming from the Gobi desert just as Sahara is a very large beach and very far to the sea

Of course as has been pointed out some African countries with large populations have messy industries and technology.

Gordon

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why does North Africa show so much pollution? I don't recall Africa being a industrialized nation.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Gordon B. Clarke; 06-17-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: double post

8. Likes HiNi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Case solved fit's right on the map, satellite could not differ between the types of emissions, industrial or after dinner.

Top 10 spices producers in 2010
    Country Production (tonnes)
    India 1,051,000
    Bangladesh 128,517
    Turkey 107,000
    China 81,600
    Pakistan 53,647
    Nepal 20,400
    Colombia 14,900
    Iran 11,500
    Burkina Faso 5,800
    Sri Lanka 5,200

Source: UN Food & Agriculture Organisation (FAO)[18]

10. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    First off Africa isn't a nation, it's a continent.
    Gordon
    Gordon,

You are absolutely correct. I couldn't think of the word "CONTINENT". I won't forget it neither.

12. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by geardoc View Post

There are also desert oil fields all over the place from Nigeria to Libya, and most of the refineries around the north and the coast, and they run wide open 24/7 and they've never heard of a scrubber.
    I totally dis-agree with you on this. Their refineries are no different than ours over here in the states. Those refineries are engineered and designed by American and European countries, most built in other countries, imported to Africa. I worked for a large gas compressor company a few years back, one of the projects I worked on went to North Africa. And yes, they use scrubbers, we sold them too! Now, they may burn off more unusable hydro-carbons than we are able to do, I don't see that as the only issue.

As for the rest of the gas/oil that is produced, most is exported.

You would think burning the forest of Brazil would make a mark on the map???

14. Likes HiNi liked this post