Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    finally we're getting somewhere.... an intelligent discussion is possible after all, even when opinions differ drastically

here are couple more I'll add without having worked at SpaceX and haven't talked to Elon

we know he is developing tunneling technology supposedly to solve traffic congestion issues, limited use on Earth, but useful, however it might be very useful to build habitats on Mars, because you'll need shielding from radiation there, and underground might be cheap and effective, not to mention chance of finding useful minerals while excavating

another one which I totally have no proof of, but it might be going on - energy storage issue and waste-less and efficient recycling of batteries, very useful here and I'd presume would be quite valuable on Mars, because energy storage is necessary even there, and ferrying things from here to there just to end up in a landfill on Mars few years later isn't exactly sustainable
    i would highly suggest reading biographies on him. they offer a lot of insight on what drives all of his businesses. and you're very right, spacex, tesla (and solar city, now part of it) and the boring company all are developing synergetic technologies to help create a city on mars. there's a LOT of info out there about this, i could go on for days...
    admittedly i'm a bit of a fanboy of his, but even without that, he's doing SOOO much for humanity in general, one of the greatest minds of the last century IMO.

2. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Is this to be a race against China.
    Will the US public and government back such as the moon?
    I think not. This was about beat the USSR as much it was about going to the moon. Those cold wars are over and done.
    Here is where China's political structure gives them a big edge even if now way behind.
    Consistency and commitment is not the hallmark in the USA now in government or leadership.
    We are too busy fighting ourselves to think any big or long term picture be it space, global manufacturing or whatever.
    China, like it or not does not have the problem we have grown into crazy land and daily news blips.
    Bob
    Hello Bob,
    The process of the US landing on Mars is clearly under way Bob. It will cost plenty, but for many machinist, it will be a solid source of growth for the next 10-20 years.

It makes no difference of which political party is in power. Congress will unanimously sign a blank check.

This mission will be the most complex task that man has ever attempted. It may not necessarily be a race with China or anyone else, but it will certainly stop the world in it's tracks long enough... to witness the impossible.
    Last edited by otrlt; 05-19-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To survive on Mars, humans need food. The research into producing food in a place that lacks nutrients in the soil and all that jazz will go a long way to addressing the issues here on earth of nutrient depletion.
    Take a poo... Grow taters in it.. I saw it in a movie so it must be true..
    Easy Peasy Japanesey.

No research required.

Poo--> Taters ---> Survival. Can't get much easier than that. No government money involved.

/S

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^^^OMG hahahahahaahahaha

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am interested in where water might be on Mars. Also in regard to fossils old salt or freshwater rivers,seas, and lakes.

Especially the places that are thought to be water worlds. Often I have thought that at some point in time that mining the moon or captured asteroids or even capturing meteors would yield new undiscovered things.

Yet undiscovered rare things to us could unlock things which we should not be ignoring.

Thanks for setting the tone of discussion.

7. Likes otrlt, empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Take a poo... Grow taters in it.. I saw it in a movie so it must be true..

/S
    Yabut ...
    Had we not sent probes to Mars, we wouldn't know what it looks like up close.
    If we didn't know what it looks like up close, we couldn't have made the movie.
    If we didn't make the movie, we wouldn't know how to grow taters.

Therefore: Mars -> Taters, Taters -> Survival, Survival -> Poo, Poo -> Mars.
    Bang! The circle of life!!!

9. Likes empwoer, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The price tag for this mission is too much or Boeing, Raytheon, Honeywell, Spacex, and many others combined. The path to Mars is going to be funded by Congress. No one else on this planet has deep enough pockets.

The trek to Mars began years ago, Aerojet is one of the many smaller contractors that have been funded for this mission.

No one has set a timeline for this launch, but I'm sure that it will happen before 2030.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    really? I talk about the context of development of said technology

it was developed by military for military purposes with military funding, I know quite well where those clocks are that broadcast the time and place, but it had nothing to do with race to the Moon, that was my point, it wasn't a consequence of the Moon missions, I admit I made a mistake saying that it had nothing to do with space exploration, I meant - civilian branch of it

and the question I was asking - what will be the benefits of putting a person on Mars? what new technologies, materials or anything will come out of it?
    That is a very interesting development. It is said he will serve Austin Texas and provide the tunneling to create a subway system. It can truely transform that city in a very positive way and would be a model for high speed rail and city transportation all over the country all without the usual property fights for above ground slow rail. He is a excellent pioneer and invested in Texas quite a bit in Austin.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    That is a very interesting development. It is said he will serve Austin Texas and provide the tunneling to create a subway system. It can truely transform that city in a very positive way and would be a model for high speed rail and city transportation all over the country all without the usual property fights for above ground slow rail. He is a excellent pioneer and invested in Texas quite a bit in Austin.
    The hyperloop bullshit ? That stupid fantasy he thought up after watching a Jetson's cartoon ? What a pile of crap. I hope they do build it in Austin, so that kind of idiocy doesn't infect the rest of the country.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    The price tag for this mission is too much or Boeing, Raytheon, Honeywell, Spacex, and many others combined. The path to Mars is going to be funded by Congress. No one else on this planet has deep enough pockets.

The trek to Mars began years ago, Aerojet is one of the many smaller contractors that have been funded for this mission.

No one has set a timeline for this launch, but I'm sure that it will happen before 2030.
    thats where i think you're wrong. enter: starlink. the global communications market is GINORMOUS, and spacex is positioning themselves to dominate a huge portion of it. starship is crucial for deployment of the rest of the constellation which is intended to pay for the not only R&D, but construction of the DOZENS of rockets that would be needed to colonize mars. congress spending aint SHIT compared to what starlink will provide for mars funding.

14. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    The hyperloop bullshit ? That stupid fantasy he thought up after watching a Jetson's cartoon ? What a pile of crap. I hope they do build it in Austin, so that kind of idiocy doesn't infect the rest of the country.
    hyperloop is not the same thing as what he's doing with The Boring Company.

FYI i worked at the actual hyperloop company. i wouldnt call it bullshit, we developed some real demonstratable tech, shame the leadership turned the company to shit.

16. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nobody, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes TeachMePlease, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderskunk View Post
    Nobody, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ignorance is bliss...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SpaceX's metallurgical engineers worked with with Tesla's to develop new and improved casting alloys:
    Tesla invents new aluminum alloys for die casting electric car parts - Electrek

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi!
    What you said should be based on truth rather than making irresponsible remarks at random.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey, MaMa Tried.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SpaceX does not have the recourses to take this on by themselves, this mission will be a collaboration of several companies, and the US Government.

To launch, land, exit the capsule, walk on planet, and get home. The only source of men that would take on this mission are USAF professionals, and they will only do so if it is on a Boeing approved vehicle.

SpaceX us a wonderful company, but they lack the depth of experience to do this alone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SpaceX does not have the recourses to take this on by themselves, this mission will be a collaboration of several companies, and the US Government.

To launch, land, exit the capsule, walk on planet, and get home. The only source of men that would take on this mission are USAF professionals, and they will only do so if it is on a Boeing approved vehicle.

SpaceX us a wonderful company, but they lack the depth of experience to do this alone.
    LOL...... k

25. Likes thunderskunk, mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The engineers and technical staff at SpaceX may be THE most experienced at the key technologies needed for this mission. They make lots of mistakes, and they’ve learned from them at an alarming rate. I’m almost sure you’ll see some starships burn up in the atmosphere up and coming. They’ll learn from that too.

SLS is blaring evidence that NASA is struggling to retain the experiences from the space shuttle, never mind implement them. The last shuttle mission was 2011, commanded by an ex-Navy pilot and piloted by a Marine. What’s your affinity for the Air Force? Not sure if you’ve noticed, but the US has a Space Force now...

I’m having fun. Keep it coming.

27. Likes empwoer, mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pintuu View Post
    What you said should be based on truth rather than making irresponsible remarks at random.
    Bu yuan ran shi yu fei ...