China's Real Plan........ - Page 13
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes.

And around 80 AD, iirc, a greek proved that the earth was round and calculated the exact circumference of the earth to around 1% accuracy.
    I think it was pythagoras, aristoteles or maybe plato without checking.

2-3 others did it both before and after with same and different methods. Iirc.

It was an astounding feat and much better than it seems because they did not know that the earth is tilted (precession) and bulged, and not round.
    Tides (water and moon/gravity), precession and gravitational effects have caused the earth to be "not round" by much more than 1%.
    (Wind, rain/weather, geothermals, uplift of plates, and similar effects also have major effects, at the sub 1% scale).

The test is easily carried out.
    On a dead calm inland lake, (common globally), float a stick out about 2 km of height tied to a rope, about 6 ft / 1.8 m in height.
    At some point the tip of the stick/a division on it, is not visible, due to the curvature of the earth.

Thus the curvature is the height/distance.
    On 5 km curvature height = 2 m, and at 2.5 km midpoint it is at zero.

Moving the floating indicator via rope closer or further can quite easily prove the exact length vs the same height to a high degree of accuracy.

A calculator online is here;
    Earth Curve Calculator

Moon-based tidal effects can I think quite easily be measured with the same way, needing zero accurate instruments.
    This gravitational effect leads to neap tides etc.

Lakes are good because they tend to have no or low effects in height vs sea levels that vary due to tides, storms, winds, and major weather effects.
    I seem to recall a couple of football fields long desert was originally used around 1-2 km by the greek.

The land is unlikely to be truly flat, but in many places in the world it is good enough and the errors tend to cancel out.

A typical sailboat (or ship) is visible about 7-8 km at sea for the same reason of curvature of earth.
    Avg sailboat height is very measurable, and very clear, and the fairly big wave/wind effects are easily measured out.
    Timing the visibility on peak heights on boats is pretty accurate.

--
    Once one could make decent flat mirrors, measuring very very small angular differences became possible.
    They acted in essence like sine bars with multi-km long base lines.

A screw acting on an offset lever could calibrate on/off measurements of extremely small angles.

By calibrating the mirrors angular (not measurement) relative positions to known distances on land between 2 peaks, far apart, it became possible to accurately measure distances to 40 km+, to extremely good resolution.
    While having crude screws, of no particular accuracy, and poor linearity on screws.
    Simple mapping angular positions to distances for that particular instrument.

Also measuring heights // angles to a high std. of relative accuracy from very far away became possible.
    Like from mountaintops, distances to approaching ships, and their heights, and size, could be measured quickly and easily.

For decades ships used mirrors to measure such things for artillery purposes, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    That was only ever a bit of commercial trickery.

Phoeniceans and other "sea peoples", South Pacific especially, plus nomadic dry-land tribes, had never been so dumb as to NOT know the Earth was round. Pretty damned OBVIOUS when at sea. Or even on any large enough lake. African desert, Arctic tundra, Asian steppe, or salt or mineral flats, even.

It was just CHEAPER to spread the lie so as to make others believe they would fall off the edge and be eaten by dragons than it was to build and crew armed fleets to protect ancient trading routes.

Mercantile efficiency at work. The lying industry survived and continues to prosper, financial house or political house, competing as always.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Yes.

And around 80 AD, iirc, a greek proved that the earth was round and calculated the exact circumference of the earth to around 1% accuracy.
    I think it was pythagoras, aristoteles or maybe plato without checking.
    Aye, but only another of the MANY chronic instances of RE-discovery, one of a long line of such over perhaps fifteen thousand years. Or twice that? Before even MY time. I only LOOK like God's elder brother, I am not he.

Have a look at what meso-Amerindians accomplished as to the accuracy of understanding the cycles of solar and milky way galactic level measurements, precession included, in modern times. Well.. "modern" to some among us.

The Calendar System | Living Maya Time

No "alien visitations" of ancient astronauts required. Patience, continuity, and dedication, rather.

Plus the simple recognition that the human brain IS a massively parallel and seriously competent computer, and HAS BEEN for a very long time, already.

Baffling Ancient Quarry Found In Italy? >> The Event Chronicle

We keep trashing our knowledge base with wars and s**t, it will not be the last time stuff has to be "rediscovered", either. If even we are that lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was only ever a bit of commercial trickery.

Phoeniceans and other "sea peoples", South Pacific especially, plus nomadic dry-land tribes, had never been so dumb as to NOT know the Earth was round. Pretty damned OBVIOUS when at sea. Or even on any large enough lake. African desert, Arctic tundra, Asian steppe, or salt or mineral flats, even.

It was just CHEAPER to spread the lie so as to make others believe they would fall off the edge and be eaten by dragons than it was to build and crew armed fleets to protect ancient trading routes.

Mercantile efficiency at work. The lying industry survived and continues to prosper, financial house or political house, competing as always.
    Don't be bloody silly Thermite,if the Godron says it is so then it is so.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Only within the galactic force-field of his own anal sphincter. He's not got the Tannoy nor reverb units to proper working just yet - just the keyboard. Danmark's Brüel & Kjaer build some bloody good microphones, but it was only meant to be a figure of speech, not a fitment of screech.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're being silly cumscum. I'm not always right - but I'm never wrong

You obviously don't get the fact (LOL) that if something can't be proven to be wrong then to many it is a fact.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Yes.
    Earth has a diameter (at the equator) of 12,742 km and rotates once every 24 hours.

Jupiter has a diameter (at the equator) of 142,984 km and rotates once every 10 hours.

That rotation creates quite a "bulge".

Jupiter has a mean radius of 43,440.7 miles (69,911 kilometers), about a tenth that of the sun. However, its rapid rotation — it spins once every 9.8 hours — causes it to bulge at the equator, where the diameter is 88,846 miles (142,984 km). In contrast, the diameter at the poles is only 83,082 miles (133,708 km).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You're being silly cumscum. I'm not always right - but I'm never wrong

You obviously don't get the fact (LOL) that if something can't be proven to be wrong then to many it is a fact.
    Your general advice to members of PM when your statements are queried is "read my post again". My advice to you is read your post 234 again. When the majority of people think the earth is flat then it is a fact.
    It is also bullshit,and that is a fact. Just get off one of your daughter's two high horses and realise you are not perfect.
    Please note, no smiley.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your general advice to members of PM when your statements are queried is "read my post again". My advice to you is read your post 234 again. When the majority of people think the earth is flat then it is a fact.
    It is also bullshit,and that is a fact. Just get off one of your daughter's two high horses and realise you are not perfect.
    Please note, no smiley.
    Grow up. Get a life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grow up. Get a life.
    Is that your best shot? I bet that your school report said "must try harder".

10. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

?? I wudda thought it said: "eligible for release on Pyschiatric review."

Telling of a sick mind that he has morphed my sign-in ID [1]- and just now YOURS as well [2] - over into what he classes as comestibles, his high-chair and bib environment, ain't it, just?

"Beast Brothels" don't begin to cover THAT part!

[1] Termites are nutritious, chocolate coated or no.

[2] Similar proteins to "head cheese"? I'll leave that research to whatever one can just read about in the funny papers. Not up for taste-testing meself!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

?? I wudda thought it said: "eligible for release on Pyschiatric review."

Telling of a sick mind that he has morphed my sign-in ID [1]- and just now YOURS as well [2] - over into what he classes as comestibles, his high-chair and bib environment, ain't it, just?

"Beast Brothels" don't begin to cover THAT part!

[1] Termites are nutritious, chocolate coated or no.

[2] Similar proteins to "head cheese"? I'll leave that research to whatever one can just read about in the funny papers. Not up for taste-testing meself!
    Oh dear the Godron, Thermite has been very naughty,please report him to your carer.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OMG

There was a time when people didn't know better and thought the Earth was flat. That was the point of my remark and sorry it seems to be keeping you awake.

If anyone thinks something is true then, until they are convinced otherwise, it is in fact a fact to them.

You are an annoying, troll like individual. That to me is a fact and your posts help support me in that belief.

Suggestion. Start a thread relevant to the forum (and if it's about something you know something about then even better) and maybe, just maybe, you can change my opinion of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From Thermite; us.

The Calendar System | Living Maya Time

I like living on Tulsa time better. �� I have been very interested in civilizations of the Americas and the Myanmar and Aztec cultures were very advanced. It seem most evolved cultures from China to Egypt to the druids.

I agree with the belief that the brains of our ancestors had just as much power as modern man. Today there is high access to information and learning so much so it makes me think about how much potential we have squandered.

It is thought that Native Americans are genetically linked to Asians. It is thought also that there is a connection in the blood to Europeans before Columbus came. Yet never celebrate Columbus Day and invite a Native American over for bar b que. �� It might be dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's a reason I wrote facts as "facts". Facts do have sides. At one time it was fact that the Earth was flat and what was once regarded as "fact" but wasn't or isn't could be a very long list.
    This is your post 234 which I asked you to re-read. You said " AT ONE TIME IT WAS FACT THAT THE EARTH WAS FLAT. It was never fact that the Earth was flat and that really is fact. Calling me a Troll and other names really hurts my feelings, every time that you do it I have to spend a lot of time in a darkened room. If you believe that then you will find it easier to carry on with the Flat Earth Society.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is your post 234 which I asked you to re-read. You said " AT ONE TIME IT WAS FACT THAT THE EARTH WAS FLAT. It was never fact that the Earth was flat and that really is fact. Calling me a Troll and other names really hurts my feelings, every time that you do it I have to spend a lot of time in a darkened room. If you believe that then you will find it easier to carry on with the Flat Earth Society.
    Whatever

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whatever
    Did you not mean Flatever? Once again I have not used a smiley, please explain why you needed one.