What's new
What's new

Chinese company caught evading tariffs on aluminum

Milland

Diamond
Aluminum is back in the news as a Chines company has had warehouses full of aluminum products siezed due to tariff evasion. It looks like a complicated and broad-scale plan that started around 2016:

Chinese used L.A. as base for audacious aluminum scam that cost U.S. $1.8 billion, feds say - Los Angeles Times

Would like to see a picture of these "pallets", and it sounds like they've only seized less than 15% of the materials imported, not sure if the rest are under control but it's claimed they weren't sold.

Thanks for the article, Milland.

In a somewhat related story (today, August 1) Trump's former top economic advisor (Cohn), recently said the tariffs on things like aluminum were hurting the US far more than China. Cohn felt we needed to deal with things like IP theft, but Trump's approach was backfiring: Trump's former top adviser: tariffs backfiring on US - BBC News

And somewhat ironically, it was Cohn's former company, Goldman Sachs, that created the moral equivalent of the derivatives BS that brought us the 2008 recession - this time with a post-Great-Recession aluminum warehousing scheme that jacked up prices for US manufacturers making stuff out of aluminum: A Shuffle of Aluminum, but to Banks, Pure Gold - The New York Times

Hard to say which is worse - a Chinese company illegally trying to avoid tariffs (but supply US makers with cheaper aluminum). Or a US financial company semi-legally inflating aluminum prices -- a sort of tax on aluminum with the proceeds going to Goldman.

What's the problem? Chinese aluminium company makes many thousands of poorly made aluminium pallets (Chinese, don't you know :crazy: ). Then sells them internally to one of it's US divisions to warehouse and reprocess into saleable extrusions or castings. That's the free market at work. You wouldn't want them to be selling the poorly made pallets, undercutting honest US pallet manufacturers and possibly collapsing and causing goods to be scattered from LTL shipments all over the roads, would you? :leaving:

This is interesting. There has been a fair amount of dumping for decades and I suspect there are other conspiracies unfounded. Considering how manufacturing here has suffered so much we find factors like this which play into the equation. This is a well thought out conspiracy.

No big surprise there, Chinese business comes down to if they think they can get away with it they will.
Since the tariffs are illegal from the word go, there can be nothing evasive, immoral or illegal about evading them.

The president does not have the right to levy tariffs. Therefore, all this shit is nonsense.

btw, if you'd like dishonest, I can point to several US companies off the top of my head. The last one, a freight forwarder in Charlotte, cost our customer $10,000 in demurrage with their bullshit extortion trick. Or another one, in North Carolina, shipped a $200,000 tester with no software. Oops, forgot to mention that ! How about the trucking company charging us $700 to tarp a machine ? You want dishonest ? I can give you plenty of dishonest, raht in the good ol Yew Ess of A.

In fact, these days I'd say that US companies are easily equal to Chinese for dishonesty. Maybe slightly in the lead.

Since the tariffs are illegal from the word go, there can be nothing evasive, immoral or illegal about evading them.

The president does not have the right to levy tariffs. Therefore, all this shit is nonsense.

"There are many ways the president can impose tariffs without congressional approval. To name a few:
  • Through the Trading With the Enemy Act of 1917, the president can impose a tariff during a time of war. But the country doesn’t need to be at war with a specific country — just generally somewhere where the tariffs would apply. (This is how Richard Nixonimposed a 10 percent tariff in 1971, citing the Korean War.)
  • The Trade Act of 1974 allows the president to implement a 15 percent tariff for 150 days if there is “an adverse impact on national security from imports.” After 150 days, the trade policy would need congressional approval.
  • There’s the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977, which would allow the president to implement tariffs during a national emergency.
Trump’s White House cited Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962, a provision that gives the secretary of commerce the authority to investigate and determine the impacts of any import on the national security of the United States — and the president the power to adjust tariffs accordingly.
In this case, Wilbur Ross, Trump’s commerce secretary, conducted an investigation, which Trump called for last April, into the impacts of steel and aluminum imports. That report was enough legal justification for Trump to bypass both Congress and the independent US International Trade Commission (USITC), which is typically called on to weigh in on proposed tariffs."

Taken from some publication called Vox, it's literally the second result that came up. Try actually learning about the politics you are spouting nonsense about.

Try actually learning about the politics you are spouting nonsense about.
Try recognizing bullshit when you see it. I don't give two juicy farts what Vox, Pox, or a Shitnosed Fox claims, the ultimate law of the United States grants the power to regulate trade to Congress and only to Congress.

The fact that they palm off their responsibilites does not make it correct or legal, any more than "separate but equal" was ever legal.

Besides which, even under this horse's ass excuse, rutabagas do not constitute a national security threat. Shades of Adolf Hitler, this stuff is all beyond disgusting.

Try actually not bleating like a sheep once in a while. It's good for the soul to have an independent thought, based on fact and reason instead of paper-thin excuses.

Try recognizing bullshit when you see it. I don't give two juicy farts what Vox, Pox, or a Shitnosed Fox claims, the ultimate law of the United States grants the power to regulate trade to Congress and only to Congress.

The fact that they palm off their responsibilites does not make it correct or legal, any more than "separate but equal" was ever legal.

Besides which, even under this horse's ass excuse, rutabagas do not constitute a national security threat. Shades of Adolf Hitler, this stuff is all beyond disgusting.

Try actually not bleating like a sheep once in a while. It's good for the soul to have an independent thought, based on fact and reason instead of paper-thin excuses.

Try learning what the word "act" means in American law, you ignorant twat. These are the laws of the land, that means what they say is "legal". The "ultimate law" of the country is what whomever is in power says it. "Independent thought" lol. All three branches of government have been stealing each others powers and subverting the constitution almost since its inception. I'd bet half the sitting congressmen couldn't quote you more than 5 amendments, or even their basic oath of office. Lol you probably think everything Obama did was legal too.

These are the laws of the land, that means what they say is "legal". The "ultimate law" of the country is what whomever is in power says it. "Independent thought" lol. All three branches of government have been stealing each others powers and subverting the constitution almost since its inception. I'd bet half the sitting congressmen couldn't quote you more than 5 amendments, or even their basic oath of office. Lol you probably think everything Obama did was legal too.

If what you state is correct, and I have no reason to disbelieve you, then I'm amazed that it gets tolerated by voters.

You ever heard of the Deep State? Voters huh? You think our government is run by people who are supposedly elected? Naive foreigner.

Again, if that's true, why hold elections?

Not so much for a while but for a long time when the USA sent military to other countries it was to help democracy. At least that was the official claim.

When I vote I don't always get what I want but I never regard my vote as wasted. All votes count.

Elections in Denmark - Wikipedia

Hard to say which is worse - a Chinese company illegally trying to avoid tariffs (but supply US makers with cheaper aluminum). Or a US financial company semi-legally inflating aluminum prices -- a sort of tax on aluminum with the proceeds going to Goldman.

Not at all hard.

Chinese selling actual aluminium, even if the "wrong way" at least delivered actual aluminium.

- Tie him up like a truant dog so his range of motion is restricted to a safe zone. And move-on. Hearts and minds may follow.

US crook dealing only in lies only delivered lies. And associated costs, pain & suffering.

Tie THAT son of a bitch up like any other vicious dog. So his feet no longer touch the ground. And move-on. Hearts and minds may wise-up. Or follow.

Again, if that's true, why hold elections?

Not so much for a while but for a long time when the USA sent military to other countries it was to help democracy. At least that was the official claim.

When I vote I don't always get what I want but I never regard my vote as wasted. All votes count.

Elections in Denmark - Wikipedia

All the little scandals on the news keeps the people enthralled and busy. The voting system is supposed to give the illusion of a democracy.
A little of that works, but wiki leaks has shown that it is just a little.

Don't you know, …...like all other taxes, levies and duties, trade tariffs, embargos and sanctions are only imposed for one reason ;- To be broken evaded or plain outright ignored.

Last edited:
Fon't you know, …...like all other taxes, levies and duties, trade tariffs, embargos and sanctions are only imposed for one reason ;- To be broken evaded or plain outright ignored.

Come from a long line of smugglers (and transported Aussie crims) do we Sami?

PDW

Back