Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    More information in your "profile" might prove interesting reading. Moving around as you do should give you an insight most don't have.

Re Zhongshan you live in a very densely populated and industrial province.

Fantastic Time-Lapse Video of Zhongshan City, Guangdong Province, China (Day & Night) - YouTube
    Kidding, right? Anybody as actually KNOWS anything at all is merely a larger target for your incessant trolling.

As to "density'?

We just sold one home in Zhongshan and bought another one because the old place (Morningstar Villa) was too "country" for easy access to shopping and such.

You want "densely populated" try Shenzen, Hong Kong, or Shanghai.

Or the UK. Significantly higher average population density than China, overall.

Why'd you think they started encouraging out-migration to Denmark, anyway? Seems to raise the average IQ of BOTH countries as a byproduct.

2. Likes converterking, Spinit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem with Chinese parts, in the eyes of discerning buyers, is the utter lack of certainty of the quality of the product. Some products are of good quality, some are abominable, and one might as well toss darts at a board as try to figure out what is a decent product and what isn’t. Case in point, can a new made-in-china 29 piece drill bit set actually not be worth $4? Apparently yes. I unwisely bought a set once, most likely from that king of refined Chinese slag purveyors Harbor Fright. Not only were the bits not hard enough to drill mild steel, they were not accurate to size either. I am an imaginative person, but I could think of no other purpose for these bits of useless metal so in the steel recycle they went. Fortunately for some Chinese manufactures, there is a fool born every hour. I doubt not that there are U.S. firms complicit in this fleecing of the masses also.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearclash View Post
    The problem with Chinese parts, in the eyes of discerning buyers, is the utter lack of certainty of the quality of the product. Some products are of good quality, some are abominable, and one might as well toss darts at a board as try to figure out what is a decent product and what isn’t. Case in point, can a new made-in-china 29 piece drill bit set actually not be worth $4? Apparently yes. I unwisely bought a set once, most likely from that king of refined Chinese slag purveyors Harbor Fright. Not only were the bits not hard enough to drill mild steel, they were not accurate to size either. I am an imaginative person, but I could think of no other purpose for these bits of useless metal so in the steel recycle they went. Fortunately for some Chinese manufactures, there is a fool born every hour. I doubt not that there are U.S. firms complicit in this fleecing of the masses also.
    How much would you normally expect to pay for a 29 piece drill bit set of good quality? Certainly not $4.

Don't blame the Chinese manufacturer. Blame the importer and yourself. In fact most of the blame lies with you.

5. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem with Chinese parts, in the eyes of discerning buyers, is the utter lack of certainty of the quality of the product.
    Nonsense. China or ANYWHERE ELSE... "Discerning buyers" do not HAVE that problem.

Any range of goods wanted is on-offer, pretty much worldwide, many countries as sources.

Discerning buyers - by definition - are the ones as make a conscious and informed CHOICE as to which grade they will purchase for a given need. Those are ones who know in advance which one they picked.

The "utter lack of certainty" accrues to the buyer who is NOT "discerning". Any country source.

The one who optimistically thinks he will get more than he pays for because HE, not the maker, is one very, very clever fellow!

If he had good sense, he'd not expect that.

If he had even half good sense, he'd at least shut up about his foolish gamble, take his lumps, instead of trying to convince the world it was not his own damned fault.

Not everyone is that lazy.

Drills from HF for under 2 bucks each? Just where TF was that "discerning buyer"? Off taking a s**t that day?

F**ks sake. WTF did you think you'd get? That won't even buy a good grade of hex BOLT!

Those aren't sold to MAKE holes. They are sold TO ***holes.

Ones who now have "a full SET of drills!" to go with their other doll-house furniture, rusted tricycles, tin sojers, comic books, and toy choo-choo trains.

Price a Guhring or Triumph drill, willyah. Or good solid carbides.

Its PM. Some here make their LIVING off generating proper holes by the tens and hundreds of thousands. They don't need even a full week to do that, either.

Smallholders ranting over HF drill-shaped-objects is simply annoyingly juvenile.

See Gordon if that is your wont. His department, the juvenile size socks and underwear.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The real value that I got for $4 was the education--and a good laugh.

Price VS value is always the question. My business depends in part on getting that right.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The real value that I got for $4 was the education--and a good laugh.

Price VS value is always the question. My business depends in part on getting that right.
    But its OK to waste everyone else's time PONTIFICATING off the back of a trash-purchase when there are, in fact, SERIOUS concerns as to how we ... "deal with".. China.. and they with we.. that have SQRT-FA to do with Hoorer Fright's business model of serving the self-appointed "bargain masters"?

C'mon. It just took us two whole YEARS to claw-back the top two supercomputer records on-planet. From the cheap-shit Chinese.

The skill to craft the tiny "bugs" they HID in hardware server MB is hard for US to match.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-top-companies

I've no klew if Trump has a klew.

But SOMEBODY has figured its a good time in history to remind them that we are too interdependent and the planet is too small to casually go about trying to butt-f**k each other and expect it to go unremarked indefinitely!!!

They've been doing this s**t for about thirty years already, all manner of devices, USB port chips, routers, laptops, cell phones. Lots of stuff.

And we have known that. Well. Some have. All that is new is the PUBLIC now knows it as well.

Actions have consequences. They are never uni-directional. "Interesting times" cometh. Yet, again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    The news media here doesn't habitually lie, they commonly just tell one side of the story. If a minority suspect is killed during a confrontation with police the television media won't reference the person's long criminal history and drug use, instead they will interview family and friend's who claim what a nice innocent second coming of Mother Teresa the deceased was. They commonly leave out details as to what caused the confrontation in the first place. If I see something on the TV news or read something that seems to be missing details I can usually dig around on the internet and get the whole story. The people that don't do that and take the news at face value get a warped perception on what the USA is like.
    I do agree there is news like that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK you have my attention. Where do you get your news from and where should I?

As things are I not only have several domestic sources but also a number of foreign ones. Are you really claiming they are all "full of shit" and if so who is trustworthy enough to let us feel informed?

I don't care for the media today because there is too much personal views written in most articles. If there are any good new articles out there most of them get buried by gloom and doom or biases stories. I am old enough to say I do not really know what to believe in the news anymore without something being caught on camera and even then show the entire clip of the video not just the portion you want.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Someone who doesn't live here and travel around the states a bit can only rely on the USA portrayed in the mostly liberal media, which is about as inaccurate as it gets. They selectively report stories and leave out details to promote their agenda. An obvious example is how they report the "Unarmed black man killed by white cop" stories. I don't remember when and where but a year or so ago the unarmed black man was ramming police cars and tried to run over the cop standing in the street who shot him. Most stories just said he drove away from a traffic stop. If a black cop shot a white criminal the story gets little coverage and the race of the cop and criminal are never mentioned. I go to MSN daily for the weather and my personal e-mail, almost every day they have a story of an act of racism, no matter how petty. "High School student suspended for calling a classmate a chink." "Swastika pained on families lawn". The media would like you to believe things are worse than they were in the Jim Crow south.
    A lot of the news articles seem to put tweets in them more than actually writing the story.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke

As things are I not only have several domestic sources but also a number of foreign ones. Are you really claiming they are all "full of shit" and if so who is trustworthy enough to let us feel informed?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    I don't care for the media today because there is too much personal views written in most articles. If there are any good new articles out there most of them get buried by gloom and doom or biases stories. I am old enough to say I do not really know what to believe in the news anymore without something being caught on camera and even then show the entire clip of the video not just the portion you want.
    Yet judging from some of your posts you have an opinion but not based on anything you hear or see in the media? Sounds as if you have no idea what's going on around you other than what you "feel".

I get my sources from several media as well as several countries and I find them reliable. Some more than others but none I'd dismiss as lies or BS. There are some countries I simply wouldn't believe and if you don't know who they are then I can list the worst. Ever heard of something called "fact checking"?

Fact checking - Wikipedia

13. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke

Yet judging from some of your posts you have an opinion but not based on anything you hear or see in the media? Sounds as if you have no idea what's going on around you other than what you "feel".

I get my sources from several media as well as several countries and I find them reliable. Some more than others but none I'd dismiss as lies or BS. There are some countries I simply wouldn't believe and if you don't know who they are then I can list the worst. Ever heard of something called "fact checking"?

Fact checking - Wikipedia

Since I don't know what is happening around me maybe you can tell me why YOU THINK America is so divided today. You are the one here telling us from your reliable news sources that have not been this divided since the Vietnam war.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    If the poster is representing China, needs to state that.

The more times the better.
    I live in Virginia. Long enough the surname is on the map. More than once.

I can't claim to "represent" even my own family, let alone the County, State, or a whole nation.

If we are going to get THAT pickey about it, just see if PM can set a default location.

"Hemorrhoidistan" could serve, given where the greatest number of posts seem to originate, geo-location, political persuasion, ethnicity, sexual preference(s), or national origin notwithstanding.

Just ain't right to blame hundreds of millions of uninvolved bystanders, whether keyboarding through one's ass or higher-up, either one.

Last edited by thermite; 10-13-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad had a good reference to why companies went to, and then came back from Chinese outsourcing. A huge part of it was culture or business ethics. He is in the aluminum forging industry as a forging engineer, I have my own small business.

He said a lot of companies sent forging overseas - material, dimensions, processes and heat treat specs were called out and parts supposedly made just like in America. The problem was that you then add 6 weeks for sea freight or pay out the nose for air shipping of prototypes, and then when parts come in, if they’re WRONG the Chinese companies still expected full payment because they had done the work. It made no difference that the parts didn’t work, the work had been performed and that was all they cared about.

Companies brought work back when the timelines were much shorter and the company itself had the US ethic of personal liability for the parts.

Sometimes good Chinese parts are better than shitty American parts by a long shot. I choose my vendors carefully but I only put food on american tabkes if I can help it. Call me biased - I am.

17. Likes ratbldr427, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blame the importer and yourself. In fact most of the blame lies with you.
    No. Somebody offering goods (questionable) at such a price, that’s to blame.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In fact most of the blame lies with you.
    It did at one time.

Then came a Messiah from out of the mysterious East - preaching the religion of blame!

He absorbed our sins. MAGNIFIED THEM, and pandering to an insatiable thirst for proof of life more boring and foolish than our own most slothful lack of effort.. served them back in inane repetition.. and with usurious interest.

At some point, if all this holds true to due and ancient form, we might expect a crucifying ceremony.

They grow thorns and dogwood locally in Kolding, Denmark? Lego-kits for it, perhaps?

Or must all that be imported...... from China?

Where else?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    Since I don't know what is happening around me maybe you can tell me why YOU THINK America is so divided today. You are the one here telling us from your reliable news sources that have not been this divided since the Vietnam war.
    You're the one stating you don't rely on the media. You don't/wouldn't believe much of what I told you unless you agreed with it.

Surely you must be able to find a reasonably reliable source? Only if the targeted "audience" is either naive or stupid can media get away with lies and BS.

21. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanola View Post
    No. Somebody offering goods (questionable) at such a price, that’s to blame.
    If nobody bought they wouldn't be made. Ever heard the phrase "There's one born every minute"?

23. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much would you normally expect to pay for a 29 piece drill bit set of good quality? Certainly not $4.

Don't blame the Chinese manufacturer. Blame the importer and yourself. In fact most of the blame lies with you.
    I don't know about Denmark, but there are some products where an off the shelf quality item isn't available at any price these days. My favorite example is windshield wipers, you can buy the most expensive set in the auto parts store, yet they last 6 months. Back decades ago if you bought a new car on the typical 4 year loan it seems under normal condition you bought a set of wipers on the day you mailed off your last car payment.

25. Likes CalG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Double post, have to love satellite internet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep...
    What’s more, no American vendor has found a way to ensure quality.
    There’s no reason China doesn’t produce good stuff except buyers accept it.
    In fact China produces the finest quality in some sectors.

When you buy “quality import” from a good vendor it usually means they have the better version of identical looking tooling...but it’s still no comfort after getting the one made from cheese and finished with a drill press.
    What’s more “Quality import” is just expensive rebranded Made in China...right?

The fact is that Made in China is now a brand, it carries with it all kinds of baggage.
    Even something wall made from Made in China is suspect.

No one looks at the notional name of the vendor, it doesn’t matter.

Made in China can make forging good enough for space craft and fighter planes.
    They also make perfectly good machine tools.
    Made in China is the finest producer of magnetics and hard drives.

But again, who will trust a brand whose marketing was always, “cheap enough you don’t care” for something more than a disposable item.

Custom parts my brand and name rely on?
    Nope, not until you manage to shed that baggage.