Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Drone attack

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    This event (drone attack), will supply the fuel to to push the NYSE over 32,500 within the next 30 days.

No one is on board, looks like a major bullish uptrend is forming.
    I was taking apart the DJI chart over the last week or so to sus out where we are at.
    I found this sideways trade has been going on long enough that I was not finding confirmation of the old bull trend from 2009 offering reliable control on price.
    This relatively short term bull seemed the most useful chart I was finding and I started to take it apart to see if a entry was apparent.

Looking for the bear thesis- a 'H&S' with topping on this last rally was a possible short entry- I was finger on the button late Friday but didn't want to carry the position through the weekend:

screen-shot-2019-09-16-6.49.09-am.jpg

The gap down over the weekend makes the pattern seem valid but.... we have to see if a short term decline continues then watch that control on bottom line for price action before we are happy about a real failure...

screen-shot-2019-09-16-7.03.42-am.jpg

We rally over that pattern suggestion and I am looking at that channel top line to short.

But a sudden rally over these bumps against 27k...
    Sure- could happen but 5300 points in a month..............
    Take it apart for us- why is the drone attack going to cause a rally?

2. Likes Dumpster_diving liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyc123 View Post
    u mad bro?

No, but seriously, I had no idea. S&P isn't anywhere near 32500, and I wasn't sure if you were talking about another index. I guess you're talking about the DOW? Usually people specify the index, since the NYSE is just an exchange.
    No, just a troll.

always trolling with "no questions asked" ranting post's.

should have been banned years ago.

4. Likes triumph406, SIP6A, metlmunchr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

This event (drone attack), will supply the fuel to to push the NYSE over 32,500 within the next 30 days.

No one is on board, looks like a major bullish uptrend is forming.
    So what ?

Buy some oil stocks, and make money off of it.

Quit whining.

6. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stuff like this makes me happy that I'm no longer eligible on the military IRR list....

8. Likes johansen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why are we (USA) locked & loaded? Haven't we sold the Saudi's a shitload of armaments? Why can't they do their own bidding? Then come buy more from us.

In the long run, it's best for the US to stop sticking our noses into the middle east. Where has it gotten us? And of all the 9/11 hijackers, weren't 15 of the 19 Saudi's?

With increasing use of our own renewables and our own petro-reserves we really should be stepping more away from middle east politics.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post

But a sudden rally over these bumps against 27k...
    Sure- could happen but 5300 points in a month..............
    Take it apart for us- why is the drone attack going to cause a rally?
    Why is the drone attack going to cause a rally?
    Main reason; very few will expect it.

As you can see from this mornings market response, there doesn't appear to be any major selling at all.

Go figure

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't see any rally coming off of this event. We are going to continue sideways until the trade dispute is resolved. Expect continued volatility. That's my bet.

Nobody really has any firm clue to where it will ultimately end up until it gets where its going to go.
    Last edited by morsetaper2; 09-16-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
    With increasing use of our own renewables and our own petro-reserves we really should be stepping more away from middle east politics.
    Disagree. Let's burn up their resources while the getting is good.

Also- Warren is going to put the lockdown on frac'in when she gets elected, so adios reserves.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today the NPR news program says that gas prices are going to sky-rocket.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post

Questions are being raised as to the US's real ability to protect its client Saudi Arabia, as they've been contacted and paid handsomely by Saudi to do just that and failed BIGLY two days ago. How did a cluster of Yemeni drones traveling a distance of some 600+ miles from Yemen go all that distance undetected by the US Patriot system and its radars: a defensive system that was sold to Saudi Arabia and is run by American military technicians? Boggles the mind. Those 'cave-dwelling Yemenis', as Saudis call them, surely must dwell in some magnificently advanced hi-tech caves!

But seriously, we have to ask the question here: did the US 'allow' for this attack to take place against the saudis oil market as a booster-maneuver for US oil and shale? Or, is the American Patriot surface-to-air missile system truly a lemon? A sour-faced lemon.
    Could be launched 20 miles away as well.

Patriot missile system is effective only for targets above 50 meters. Any half-arsed RC plane hobbyist can fly slow-ish drone below 50 meters.
    And available technology has changed dramatically in last 10 years: Now you can get GPS guidance for pocket change or even ground scanning LIDAR.

Long range drones with large payload are bit larger project but not necessarily that far fetch even for dedicated "cave-men" with internet and common engineering sense. Ultralight construction plans are easy to find, something like Colomban Cri-Cri could carry 150lbs payload with +600mile range.

15. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Disagree. Let's burn up their resources while the getting is good.

I have thought this for years- buy foreign crude at any price they will sell it to us for.
    Keep our own damn reserves in the ground.
    One of these days there is going to be a supply problem and it’s not going to be pretty.

If I were king....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don´t see any likely rise in the US stock markets at all - on the contrary.
    Higher oil and gas prices hurt the us and the global economy, and so will fears of major war near or with iran.

But higher oil could greatly benefit the US oil/gas companies SP however, especially shale and midstream, and probably help the US defense industry stocks short term.

I really, really, really hope the US does not get into a serious shooting war with Iran, no matter what.
    It is a lose-lose-lose proposition for Iran, the US, and the global economies.
    And potentially may/will hurt the US military - and their people.

All for no good end and zero benefit to the USA. Imho.
    The USA has no interests at risk in the area.

In military terms (realpolitik ?):
    Iran holds the "high ground" in military terms in a place that has a huge "long tail" of difficult logistics for the USA.
    In a more or less unassailable place, the straights, in area surrounded by high mountains and no roads and long mountain passes and hostile neighbours.

And simple, cheap, smart mines could/might/can make the straights effectively unpassable to any traffic Iran denies, in a shooting war.
    If the US was to smart-bomb or cruise missile Iranian leadership or major assets, Iran would have nothing to lose blowing up an oil carrier or two, perhaps an aircraft carrier.
    Then what ?

Anyone seeking to increase tensions with Iran should be put out of office. Imo.

18. Likes Greg White, Mark Rand, JoeE., Bobw, neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

YES!
    Exactly.

That is why the "drill baby drill" crowd is crazy.
    And those wanting to mostly clear cut 1000 year old forest for maximum short yield. Crazy.

One gets a one-time short term big boost of profit and jobs, and then it´s gone.
    For pennies on the dollar.
    Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    I have thought this for years- buy foreign crude at any price they will sell it to us for.
    Keep our own damn reserves in the ground.
    One of these days there is going to be a supply problem and it’s not going to be pretty.

If I were king....

20. Likes Greg White, tdmidget, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    One gets a one-time short term big boost of profit and jobs, and then it´s gone. For pennies on the dollar. Crazy.
    That's been the US approach to the world for 200 years. That is the official corporate viewpoint - no CEO benefits from making more money ten years from now.

Sure it's stupid, but as Krushchev said, "If we hung every person in the United States, ten US companies would be bidding for the rope contract."

22. Likes dalmatiangirl61, JoeE., neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    That's been the US approach to the world for 200 years. That is the official corporate viewpoint - no CEO benefits from making more money ten years from now.
    Pretty much the way most area "Powers" have behaved, the US neither invented nor perfected such acts. In fact, about the only "benign" conqueror I can think of would have been the Romans [Aside from that, what have they ever done for us!?]. From Genghis to the Vikings to the Belgians, it's all rape and pillage in a day's work.

Sure it's stupid, but as Krushchev said, "If we hung every person in the United States, ten US companies would be bidding for the rope contract."
    But we'd test the quality on the Rusky's necks first. Or we would have, before we had a puppet president...

24. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "complacency" bubble being burst will probably settle in as some amount of risk-premium on the price of oil for some time. Seeing that the ubiquity and low cost of unsophisticated drones make this sort of thing routinely possible, especially just by strapping on a high-explosive charge and flying them kamikaze-style into something (probably can be done with commercial/toy drones).

26. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why is the drone attack going to cause a rally?
    Main reason; very few will expect it.

As you can see from this mornings market response, there doesn't appear to be any major selling at all.

Go figure
    OK . . . A dark matter asteroid will strike in the next 30 days. Or maybe Martians landing in space saucers, sucking all our oil out of the ground. Because VERY FEW expect this, the Dow has to go up to 50,000?

Typically when oil prices go up, those with oil benefit and industry in general suffers. Last oil crises I recall the Dow went down. This time we're more self-sufficient. My guess, and it's just a guess, is the Dow keeps going sidewise. Eventually (as in a few years), because of all the debt we're incurring and all the issues (climate damage, health care, inequality, education, financialization, military $$$ wasted, enemies created, US credibility lost) that we're not addressing, I'd expect another bust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One not-so-surprising aspect of this strike is it makes the oil that Iran and Russia control more valuable. For that reason, I do find it credible that Iran orchestrated this attack.

I'm quite curious how the US will respond, after all, its oil is now worth more too...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    OK . . . A dark matter asteroid will strike in the next 30 days. Or maybe Martians landing in space saucers, sucking all our oil out of the ground. Because VERY FEW expect this, the Dow has to go up to 50,000?

Typically when oil prices go up, those with oil benefit and industry in general suffers. Last oil crises I recall the Dow went down. This time we're more self-sufficient. My guess, and it's just a guess, is the Dow keeps going sidewise. Eventually (as in a few years), because of all the debt we're incurring and all the issues (climate damage, health care, inequality, education, financialization, military $$$ wasted, enemies created, US credibility lost) that we're not addressing, I'd expect another bust.

You have assembled quite a wall Pete,

Many, (including the media) are anticipating for something terrible to happen. Today's market reaction is tepid at best.

There are allot of negative thinkers out there that are doing a great job at building the "proverbial Wall Of Worry". Bull Markets love walls.

While your waiting for the Apocalypse make sure you have enough can goods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have assembled quite a wall Pete, . . .
    Having ridden out maybe half a dozen busts, from the early 70's oil crisis and about every ten years after, I'm not expecting the Apocalypse. Leaving that to folks wanting to hasten that here on earth, for their expected Heavenly Rapture ascending to some unknown GPS coordinates looking down from the clouds.

Really have two points, Otrit. First, that if you're going to keep calling an incredible hike in the Dow, it would be helpful to provide a rational explanation. You seem a bright guy, capable of explaining yourself. So far, you're 0 for 2 in Dow calls. The first prediction, based on increased defense spending, at least had some basis. But as noted then, the % of our GDP that will be affected most likely isn't (wasn't) enough to make much difference.

Second point is that the trend line of our busts has been getting worse. I do think we're digging a hole for our kids. Instead of whistling in the dark, might be useful to actually address some of our systemic problems.