What's new
What's new

(ducking rotten tomatoes)...Anyone want to be moderator of this forum ??

Good Luck with finding a moderator. My suggestion is to archive the forum and after a suitable cooling off period introduce a new global manufacturing forum with a heavy handed moderator to keep it on track. This forum has served it's purpose and should be put out to pasture.

Would suggest -- whoever is so intrepid and impartial as to accept the position -- that threads be locked after any personal attack. Three attacks and you're out?

And while lots of things (education, economy, tariffs, etc.) affect manufacturing -- wouldn't hurt to shut down topics too far off.

Thermite? Gordon? Fill in a name?

One of the things that made Metlmunchr an effective forum moderator -- at least in terms of encouraging thousands of posts and views -- is that he didn't often post on his own behalf. And day to day (until getting fed up with what he considered an extreme view) he moderated with a light hand. I suspect people, even those who didn't agree with him in those fed-up moments, might come to miss his "most anything OT goes" style? Those who didn't like the free-for-all could simply ignore it.

Probably one of the qualifications for this job -- unlike most any other PM sub-forum -- is not wanting to post all that much on one's own behalf.

FWIW, I recall one of Metl's rare posts -- on the history of our Constitutional Founders. He has a lot to contribute, though rarely did.

A serious suggestion. Hanermo avoids getting into idiotic discussions and knows more than most as to what goes on around the world. Might even be an idea to change the sub forum title to something like "INTERNATIONAL MANUFACTURING".

As to getting him to "volunteer" it might be possible if asked.

Personally I don't agree with him on everything so that's got to be a plus in his favour.

The last thing any PM sub forum needs as a moderator is a member that divides more than unites.

No matter who gets chosen they should show little patience for some of the nonsense that goes on. 3, even 2, warnings and you're out (temporarily or permanently) would be good and probably necessary at first.

Most topics that come up in there, while interesting, we all know where they're going to go.:rolleyes5:

IMO it should be the same as how we deal with the hobby grade machinery and other unmentionables. If you want to talk about what Trump (or Pelosi, who cares) did yesterday to mess with your check-book, does it really contribute? But if you want to discuss how other machinists are making ends meet with the "current economic situation," that's cool!

Like it or not politics is the global controller of international trade in this industry. If you want zero politics, then you pretty much can't discus what this forum is about.

Moderating it and keeping it unbiased, lol when you find who can do that, the UK needs to employ em to smooth out brexit for get moderate this place! Your talking head honcho of UN peace keeper level!

Back