(ducking rotten tomatoes)...Anyone want to be moderator of this forum ?? - Page 11
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 253
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    24,950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5194
    Likes (Received)
    7716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    Good Luck with finding a moderator. My suggestion is to archive the forum and after a suitable cooling off period introduce a new global manufacturing forum with a heavy handed moderator to keep it on track. This forum has served it's purpose and should be put out to pasture.
    NO!

    At least there is some place to go with this stuff!
    The guys can git it out of their system here and not over on the other boards!


    -------------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  2. Likes TDegenhart liked this post
  3. #202
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3052
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    I do not think this forum should be trashed. It would be a waste. I think that with good moderation it would be forward moving. Now it is significant and it is valuable. I beg to differ to those who degrade this forum to say it is like a sewer. Get a life! At least see the value of this sub forum and at least try to step in and improve before trying to destroy it.

  4. #203
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3142
    Likes (Received)
    3561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Get a life! .
    getting rid of it might that possible for some.

  5. #204
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2130
    Likes (Received)
    1248

    Default

    Those that think this section should be deleted just dont need to read any of it. Do guys into punk or heavy metal music go to operas or have easy listening on the radio? If you dont like it STFO.

  6. Likes Gordon B. Clarke, Ox liked this post
  7. #205
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3052
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    And then maybe not. It is the case in life that we can not completely control our environment. Whatever the case where we might be working for the man we will only deal with what we have in our work.

    We do do the best that we can until we win the lottery.

    I do do the best that I can and in years past yes I did trend to my employers wishes.
    Turns out I should have looked out for myself more. This is America so I think. Be careful and take care of yourself for the limited years you have on this earth. Between me and a employer I do not think I should snap to what they want really.

    When it becomes too much it is best to move on if my employer is not good for me.

  8. #206
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,027
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3993
    Likes (Received)
    12663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    And then maybe not. It is the case in life that we can not completely control our environment. Whatever the case where we might be working for the man we will only deal with what we have in our work.

    We do do the best that we can until we win the lottery.

    I do do the best that I can and in years past yes I did trend to my employers wishes.
    Turns out I should have looked out for myself more. This is America so I think. Be careful and take care of yourself for the limited years you have on this earth. Between me and a employer I do not think I should snap to what they want really.

    When it becomes too much it is best to move on if my employer is not good for me.
    For a long time now I've found it nigh on impossible to figure out where you are going with most of your posts and what relevance they have to anything.

  9. Likes Greg White liked this post
  10. #207
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3142
    Likes (Received)
    3561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Those that think this section should be deleted just dont need to read any of it. Do guys into punk or heavy metal music go to operas or have easy listening on the radio? If you dont like it STFO.
    not the point. Anyone who participates obviously has some part of them that likes posting here and as you say others can avoid it. That's a completely different topic though than what would be best for the site, which imo, would be dumping it.

    i can drop by the neighborhood dive strip bar for beer......and also recognize that if you want to improve the neighborhood you'd would be better off without it

  11. #208
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2130
    Likes (Received)
    1248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    not the point. Anyone who participates obviously has some part of them that likes posting here and as you say others can avoid it. That's a completely different topic though than what would be best for the site, which imo, would be dumping it
    My point was more along the lines of those that post here yet complain it should be done away with due to inflammatory posts should not try to eliminate this area. If people stop posting personal or ad hominum attacks and BS info as facts and things will get a lot better quickly, a good mod will be able to help that happen. I dont think a lot of people do this, same handful of people keep doing it over and over because they keep getting away with it. Deleting this area will just shift the BS to other areas.

  12. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
  13. #209
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,027
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3993
    Likes (Received)
    12663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    not the point. Anyone who participates obviously has some part of them that likes posting here and as you say others can avoid it. That's a completely different topic though than what would be best for the site, which imo, would be dumping it.
    You often post in this sub forum. What is it you feel you contribute with? It's a serious question.

    Next serious question to you. If it was dumped which sub forum would you go to?

  14. #210
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3142
    Likes (Received)
    3561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You often post in this sub forum. What is it you feel you contribute with? It's a serious question.
    Economics, finance and commercial business knowledge

    Next serious question to you. If it was dumped which sub forum would you go to?
    back to work, back to hobbies, less time wasted and neither me nor site any worse for not having it. Where else would I'd go here? where I already am, machining, the small business forum (shop owners), antique machinery, monarch, schaublin etc sub forums....all for discussions relevant to their titles, titles which are relevant to a machining site.

  15. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
  16. #211
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,323
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    425
    Likes (Received)
    1673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    No.
    What it makes it an appeal to authority is the use of Dyson and the fawning nature of the video itself.
    Well, okay then.

    By definition, logical fallacies are errors in reasoning.

    Why don't you enlighten us to the argument Barbter was making? Go ahead and tell us in your own words if you like, but please link to his assertion so we can see if your interpretation is logical.

    If as you say, Barbter was invoking Dyson to defend his position- then indeed he may have committed a logical fallacy.

    I did not watch the video, it might have some fallacies itself- I don't know. But fawning is not a logical fallacy, it's just fawning.

    Did Barbter produce the video?

    Posting videos is not fallacious logic- it's just posting videos. In order for it to be a logical fallacy, there must first be an argument being made.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    If you see me committing a logical fallacy in an argumentative context I would hope you would point it out.
    I will do my best to help you out. Note your own qualifier- an argumentative context.

    Show us Barbter's argument.

    Edit to add: Logical fallacies are not strictly limited to argument, They are also found in rhetoric- most commonly political rhetoric. If you call Trump an "orange-haired baboon", that is an ad hom of rhetoric. You are dismissing the person by name calling.

    Your comment:

    That marketing master and his shit vacuums?
    Is an ad hom of rhetoric.

  17. #212
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3052
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    For a long time now I've found it nigh on impossible to figure out where you are going with most of your posts and what relevance they have to anything.
    Ok for a long time now you have alienated everyone. You have no support. I on the other hand know YOU all too well. There is no mystery to you. You say “Travel to other countries “ , you directly make your point that anyone who does not travel can not have a opinion and that since you do travel extensively you are of superior mind.

    What you have proven is that you or anyone can travel the world several times and see it all yet when you return home you are as ignorant and imbecilic as you have always been.

    You for example say you have never degraded the US, religion, and even democracy. You ask for proof you have done so and when shown you just deny it. This is ignorant and very pompous of you. If you think you have won something you are mistaken because only you are playing this game.

  18. Likes camscan, Newman109, Cole2534 liked this post
  19. #213
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3052
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You often post in this sub forum. What is it you feel you contribute with? It's a serious question.

    Next serious question to you. If it was dumped which sub forum would you go to?
    You have no cred to criticize. The only thing you have is to attack others and your number of posts indicates a long term personal failing. You can not post three times without attacking someone.

  20. #214
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2130
    Likes (Received)
    1248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    i can drop by the neighborhood dive strip bar for beer......and also recognize that if you want to improve the neighborhood you'd would be better off without it
    To your example in a free market society the strip bar in your neighborhood is there because the people want it there. If the people did not want it they would not patronize it and it would go out of business. Some people move next to a garbage dump then complain about the smell, I hope that is not you.

  21. Likes jancollc liked this post
  22. #215
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,212
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Well, okay then.

    By definition, logical fallacies are errors in reasoning.

    Why don't you enlighten us to the argument Barbter was making? Go ahead and tell us in your own words if you like, but please link to his assertion so we can see if your interpretation is logical.

    If as you say, Barbter was invoking Dyson to defend his position- then indeed he may have committed a logical fallacy.

    I did not watch the video, it might have some fallacies itself- I don't know. But fawning is not a logical fallacy, it's just fawning.

    Did Barbter produce the video?

    Posting videos is not fallacious logic- it's just posting videos. In order for it to be a logical fallacy, there must first be an argument being made.

    I will do my best to help you out. Note your own qualifier- an argumentative context.

    Show us Barbter's argument.

    Edit to add: Logical fallacies are not strictly limited to argument, They are also found in rhetoric- most commonly political rhetoric. If you call Trump an "orange-haired baboon", that is an ad hom of rhetoric. You are dismissing the person by name calling.

    Your comment:



    Is an ad hom of rhetoric.
    Ahhh...
    If you didn’t watch the video then you miss the fallacy.
    Fawning actually does fall under appeal to authority, it’s implication is that anything the “authority” says must be correct.

  23. #216
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,323
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    425
    Likes (Received)
    1673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    To your example in a free market society the strip bar in your neighborhood is there because the people want it there. If the people did not want it they would not patronize it and it would go out of business. Some people move next to a garbage dump then complain about the smell, I hope that is not you.
    I agree with this qualifier- if I already owned the house and they decided to locate a garbage dump or strip club next door, I would feel like I had a right to complain.

    If I buy a house at the end of the runway, I'll a great deal because it's noisy. I can't complain about the noise.

  24. #217
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,212
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    To your example in a free market society the strip bar in your neighborhood is there because the people want it there. If the people did not want it they would not patronize it and it would go out of business. Some people move next to a garbage dump then complain about the smell, I hope that is not you.
    Not quite.
    The neighbor hood bar is different than a strip club.
    The neighborhood bar is typically supported by locals.
    The strip club typically draws from external areas.

    It can even be argued that a neighborhood bar provides community...
    Like a church.

    Slightly different.

  25. #218
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3142
    Likes (Received)
    3561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    To your example in a free market society the strip bar in your neighborhood is there because the people want it there. If the people did not want it they would not patronize it and it would go out of business. Some people move next to a garbage dump then complain about the smell, I hope that is not you.
    I'm hardly complaining, I'm part of the problem. The view expressed is my opinion on what would be the best thing for management to do for the site, not for me.

    btw, we don't live in a free society, nor would anyone want to (if they thought about it a bit)

  26. #219
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,323
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    425
    Likes (Received)
    1673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Ahhh...
    If you didn’t watch the video then you miss the fallacy.
    Fawning actually does fall under appeal to authority, it’s implication is that anything the “authority” says must be correct.
    You are ignoring the question. Your fallacy is Red Herring.

    You accused Barbter of engaging in a logical fallacy.

    Where is Barbter's argument?

  27. #220
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,323
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    425
    Likes (Received)
    1673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    ...Fawning actually does fall under appeal to authority, it’s implication is that anything the “authority” says must be correct.
    You will not find "fawning" in any logic text.

    Fawning is a subjective viewpoint, and the video would only be an appeal to authority fallacy if the producers of the video were making an argument and using Dyson's opinion and reputation as proof of their assertion.

    Simply producing a video is not a logical fallacy.

    It still wouldn't reflect on Barbter unless he was:

    A. The producer of the video, and used Dyson's expressed opinion and his authority as a physicist to support an argument.

    B: Barbter made an argument and used the video that contained Dyson's expressed opinion as a physicist to support his argument.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •