Close
Login to Your Account
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sir Clive Sinclair was on telly recently (he's 80)lamenting the fact that he cant afford a collectors price for a C5,and has to settle for a Chinese mobility scooter.The C5 fiasco had curious similarities to the launch of the Ariel 3 ,some 15 years earlier,and IMHO lessons should have been learnt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Sir Clive Sinclair was on telly recently (he's 80)lamenting the fact that he cant afford a collectors price for a C5,and has to settle for a Chinese mobility scooter.The C5 fiasco had curious similarities to the launch of the Ariel 3 ,some 15 years earlier,and IMHO lessons should have been learnt.
    I only ever saw one C5 on the road over here. It was in heavy, but slow moving, traffic and the driver looked terrified.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want sheer terror...try a Bond Bug.....my cousin had one ,supposedly able to do 100mph.....My choice of 3 wheeler is of course a 1929 Super Aero ,bit pricey now tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Yet those that run GM and Ford are placing their bets in very big dollars, good bet or failed will be seen.
    First in historically is never good.
    Personal computers, Altiar and IMSAI the pet or OSI and I'd have to list Sinclair in here. All gone. All with great advancements and each with tech advantages that many thought this will win and be the killer.
    They all made money for a bit, they all went away.
    Apple being the very weird one out of this batch.
    Bob
    Question: Would they be placing those same bets (on EVs) without the strong hand of government pushing manufacturers to sell more electric vehicles? The major reason IC-engined car manufacturers are building electrics is to comply with increasingly stringent CAFE standards.

It is the same in most of the world. Sales of EVs drop dramatically when government incentives end, as happened in Norway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKamp View Post
    Oh yeah, the Timex Sinclair... I had a buddy with one!!!

My brother-in-law in California has a Telsa... well... had. It's currently dead... With all the power outages there the last several weeks, they had no way to charge it. Apparently, something went wrong, and the battery is now bad... so he's been a bit disappointed, and very quiet about it. His wife's Subaru Outback is doing fine, though...
    Sounds like the vehicle is "bricked", which happens to Teslas when the main battery gets so low it can no longer maintain the 12v battery that powers the controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Sounds like the vehicle is "bricked", which happens to Teslas when the main battery gets so low it can no longer maintain the 12v battery that powers the controls.
    I bet a tesla has a lot of parasitic battery drain when it is parked. They thought the big battery meant there was no need to conserve and everyone parked it to be charged every night. I think they have the computer on all the time linked to the internet and also waiting for a remote signal form key fobs etc. makes you wonder about parking it and going for a backbacking hike for a week or more.
    I would also suppose once voltage drops to a certain point there is not enough power to turn on what ever needs to happen to allow charging. I bet it also does not have a small removable battery that can be taken out and charged conventionally to restore computer access to allow recharging of main battery. They made the common mistake of computer geeks, believing end users read and follow instructions and never exceed limits. I wonder how water tight all the electrical connectors are on there cars. My ford every connector I have ever disconnected was filled with grease and had multiple locking tabs. Even on my wife's Contour where the wire insulation was crumbling the connectors stayed nice and waterproof.
    Bil lD

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I was surprised to find the tesla's do not have a onboard 120 volt outlet. I was not really surprised to find they have no connections for arc welding leads.
    Bill D.
    If they did have a 120 volt outlet, then they could charge themselves!

8. Likes daredo222, Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Latest news over here is the factory Tesla is building in Europe is going to Gemany and not the UK as was mooted a while ago. No prizes for guessing why they've had a change of heart.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Latest news over here is the factory Tesla is building in Europe is going to Gemany and not the UK as was mooted a while ago. No prizes for guessing why they've had a change of heart.

Regards Tyrone.
    Jeremy Corbyn?

11. Likes daredo222 liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regards Tyrone.
    I can think of several reasons for deciding the change.

After Brexit (if it happens) export won't be as easy as it is now.

What "British" car makes are in fact still British owned? The few British makes left are good but expensive. OK Tesla isn't cheap.

camscan is partially right. Unions as good as helped decimate the British car industry. Constant strikes and deteriorating quality.

2018 (Full Year) Europe: Best-Selling Car Models - Car Sales Statistics

Vauxhall Motors - Wikipedia

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know how much attention car manufacturers are paying attention to what's happening in China but they should. I was very surprised at how many electrical vehicles I saw in China last month. Consolation maybe as the first 5 days my transport was mainly a Tesla.

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I don't know how much attention car manufacturers are paying attention to what's happening in China but they should. I was very surprised at how many electrical vehicles I saw in China last month. Consolation maybe as the first 5 days my transport was mainly a Tesla.

YouTube
    Why should car manufacturers pay much attention to a country that uses stiff tariffs to discourage most auto imports?

As chinese EV production increases it is likely they will raise tariffs on imported EVs.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why should car manufacturers pay much attention to a country that uses stiff tariffs to discourage most auto imports?

As chinese EV production increases it is likely they will raise tariffs on imported EVs.
    Jeez relax. My point was that China is concentrating big time on electric car production. Very much so to decrease pollution in cities. Overlooking that fact means that they'll be hard to catch as the cars they make will get better and better. I remember when "Made In Japan" was regarded as a joke. Still think so?

I've already mentioned that the car that was used to transport my wife and I around the first 5 days in China last month was a Tesla. A Tesla costs over $150,000 in China but to those that have the money they don't care. I've never seen so many in my life - not even in Norway.

Videos worth watching and you can see what I mean.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regards Tyrone.
    I know Brexit is the reason yada yada yada BUT... Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Edit:- Curse pay sites...
    If you google as per below, it's the first thing that comes up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whatever Tesla do in the EU ,it will be the minimum required ,and be essentially based around Chinese input.....China has very good reasons for going to EVs,not only pollution,but also the possibility of a future oil embargo orchestrated by the US.Their traditional main supplier Iran is already under US embargo.How long before China draws the line on US interference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question: Would they be placing those same bets (on EVs) without the strong hand of government pushing manufacturers to sell more electric vehicles? The major reason IC-engined car manufacturers are building electrics is to comply with increasingly stringent CAFE standards.
    I think it is customer interest over any government push.
    There are other ways to hit the CAFE.
    We will see how this plays as now along comes Ford who has spent some real money on this type vehicle.
    Strangely it gets a automaker one step closer to Roger Smith's view of no manufacturing, only design and assembly.
    Despite all the advances automotive IC engines and transmission plants are not very good money makers.
    Bob

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Found this and have no idea as to how accurate it is.

The least reliable car models:
    1. Chevrolet Colorado - 4 point
    2. Chevrolet Camaro - 5 point
    3. Jeep Wrangler - 12 point
    4. Alfa Romeo Giulia - 13 point
    5. Volkswagen Atlas - 13 point
    6. Volkswagen Tiguan - 15 point

The most reliable car models
    1. Mazda MX-5 Miata - 95 point
    2. Toyota Prius Plug-in - 94 point
    3. Toyota Prius - 92 point
    4. Lexus GX - 91 point
    5. Hyundai Kona - 90 point
    6. Mazda CX-3 - 89 point

Source: Consumer Reports 2019

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl
    Umm, because they sell more cars than any other country on the planet ? VW makes money hand over fist here ? Buick wouldn't even exist if it were not for China ?

There's a few reasons I can think of

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Jeez relax. My point was that China is concentrating big time on electric car production. Very much so to decrease pollution in cities.
    I was kind of interested to see that Roewe (GM's Chinese version of Rover, it's sort of a local product) is all electric now, I don't think they even make an ic model anymore. And they are surprisingly popular. (I was not in love with Rover cars, had one of those little v8's once. England disappeared as a car manufacturer because the cheapskates insisted on bolting 237 pieces together when a single stamping would have not rattled apart after five years. I welded my E-type together and it was soooo much better.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    England disappeared as a car manufacturer because the cheapskates insisted on bolting 237 pieces together when a single stamping would have not rattled apart after five years. I welded my E-type together and it was soooo much better.)
    Damn buy a fact why don't you

UK made like 1.5 million cars last year, not as many as 1970, but may 15 percent less than their average from the 1960s

They tanked in the 80s through mismanagement and not coming out with a new car for 20 years, but rebounded nicely in later years

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Damn buy a fact why don't you

UK made like 1.5 million cars last year, not as many as 1970, but may 15 percent less than their average from the 1960s

They tanked in the 80s through mismanagement and not coming out with a new car for 20 years, but rebounded nicely in later years
    "Nearly six million vehicles are produced in Germany each year, and approximately 5.5 million are produced overseas by German brands. Alongside the United States, China and Japan, Germany is one of the top 4 automobile manufacturers in the world."

1½ million sounds good until compared with other countries.

I certainly agree with you on mismanagement although as much by the unions as by the company owners.

World's Top 20 Largest Passenger Car-Producing Countries In 2017 (Million Units)
    China: 24.81 million units.
    Japan: 8.35 million units.
    Germany: 5.65 million units.
    India: 3.95 million units.
    South Korea: 3.74 million units.
    United States: 3.03 million units.
    Spain: 2.29 million units.
    Brazil: 2.27 million units.

I must admit that surprised me quite a bit.