Login to Your Account
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    That's what I like about you,no hint of exaggeration.
    Never !

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    ...many are still running sixty or more years later with no more attention than a drop of oil each year.
    If you don't count changing the brushes and turning the commutators occasionally They also don't make much current at low rpm, which is a nice feature of ac generators. But have to agree with you, better-built alternators would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

..They were a quality item ,and many are still running sixty or more years later with no more attention than a drop of oil each year..
    A lightly driven 60 year old vehicle now has close to million miles on the odometer.
    Show me that generator that never needed a touch other than oil.
    For sure you could store one for 1000 years and it would still function.
    Bob

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Lucas C 40 genny on my Chamberlain tractor is dated 1964 and original to the tractor.....I bought the tractor in 1975 ,and know for sure I havent touched the genny ,save a few drops of oil in the sleeve bearing.......the Lucas C40 in the Coles crane is dated 1958,and likely original to the crane....again a few drops of oil in the sleeve bearing......In fact the main generator in the Coles has had more attention ,because a brush holder came loose and was cockeyed .....from memory the generator is a BTH ,or maybe a Brush......25kva/200v DC,the traction motor is a BTH ,not a mark on the commutator in all those years......I have spare generators and motors ,never need them......Ill fail before they do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tesla is for most of us a spectator sport.
    There are moments of real humor.

On Twitter this morning:

“Elon Musk has developed a steel ball that can break bulletproof glass.”

LOL.

In all fairness “breaking“ the glass is not so much the point so much as getting something to penetrate the various layers into the passenger compartment.
    Odd they setup this public test without a dry run to see how it would play for the cameras...

And.... laminated glass on side windows?
    (Which appears to be what is done in the Tesla truck.)
    Is there some reason tempered safety glass is almost universally used for everything but windshields on passenger vehicle’s??

It seems like there is gonna be no practical way to get into or out of that trucks passenger compartment without lowering the windows if the doors are blocked/damaged etc.

Edit-

So I’m not the first kid on the block to think about this.
    (What else is new...)

So, seems laminated glass is considered safer is most accidents as it keeps you and your body parts in the car in the event of an accident:

Breaking your car's windows in an emergency might be tougher than you think, study says - Roadshow

And:

“ Unlike safety glass, tempered glass shatters when broken. Tempered glass breaks upon contact and when the car roof is deformed. As a result, tempered glass provides a particularly ineffective barrier to total or partial ejection in side collisions and rollover accidents. The physical characteristics of rollovers tend to force the head, upper torso and arms of even a belted passenger out of the protected passenger area. Wearing a property-designed and functioning seatbelt will not prevent an occupant from being par¬tially ejected in a rollover.”

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/th...ty-glass-19112

So tempered side glass is used because it is cheaper (and might save you ass if you drive into a lake..)

Some Car Windows Are Harder to Break in an Emergency, Says AAA

Et al et al...

It’s interesting- I have looked at those side widows and thought about the absolutely false sense of security they provide.
    In a bad accident your head arms etc are might be hanging out that widow getting to know whatever is sliding past- branches, pavement, other cars ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alternators were a quarter the price of a generator and regulator.Anyhoo ,there was nothing wrong with Lucas generators .They were a quality item ,and many are still running sixty or more years later with no more attention than a drop of oil each year.In my experience ,the various alternators were rubbish ,throw away items ,with needle bearings in cheap pressed races running direct on shafts.
    there is everything wrong with lucas generators

zero output at idle.

28 amp max for a C40L

sit at a stop light at night in the rain. wipers stop,heater slows headlights go brown.....you cannot see, vainly rev the engine and look like a punk.....

high current brushes wear

freezing points when turned off can burn the car the the ground.

only reason it is not more common is that the generator charges so poorly that the battery does not have enough juice to do the job

they were obsolete when transistors appeared

it is an example of how R&D ceased at UK carmakers and caused their decline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Market looking for the Tesla pickup truck news release:

Tesla Cybertruck: all the news about Elon Musk’s pickup truck - The Verge
    They must have designed that thing on a Commodore 64, so ugly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    They must have designed that thing on a Commodore 64, so ugly.
    Now that gets me thinking it would look pretty awesome actually to have it painted black with green LED's on the lines of it Battlezone style.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    Now that gets me thinking it would look pretty awesome
    No it will still look shit, it will always look shit. Most of that straight lined and sharp angular stuff from the 70's and 80's looked shit.

9. Likes Scottl, Jashley73, tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    No it will still look shit, it will always look shit. Most of that straight lined and sharp angular stuff from the 70's and 80's looked shit.
    There's a Lotus Esprit around the corner waiting for you with a baseball bat...

11. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

from the link

YouTube

So, from Ford's own propaganda, the point is probably moot.

The almost zero speed torque of an electric is probably going to overcome the ICE

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    from the link

YouTube

So, from Ford's own propaganda, the point is probably moot.

The almost zero speed torque of an electric is probably going to overcome the ICE
    I borrow one of the Super Duty Ford trucks with the diesel.
    That thing is a thing of beauty- balls to tow and runs at better gas mileage than our SUV when not towing,
    That is the machine to beat..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I borrow one of the Super Duty Ford trucks with the diesel.
    That thing is a thing of beauty- balls to tow and runs at better gas mileage than our SUV when not towing,
    That is the machine to beat..
    That was actually my first thought

but an electric F150 pulling a million pounds is still pretty impressive
    although didn't some guy pull a train with his teeth....

16. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a calm day a Yugo could tow the Queen Mary..Yes with the ship in the water. I think about 160 million pounds.

Tractor pull.
    tractor pull weight - Video Search Results

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just give the driver a cool "Tron" hat instead of the unbreakable glass.
    Bill D.

BBC Four - Tron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post

And I like my DMC-12 but this is just plain ugly.
    I saw an excuse on the net saying that you can not make it contoured as it would break the pressing machine, most here know better.
    There is no such thing as bullet proof which is another of its claims.With the right gun and bullet you can penetrate a tank.

Marketing gone off the rails here IMO. Why build to small niche even if you like this niche as the owner of the company?
    I do not see the logic in building a polarizing style. It also would make little sense in areo drag which would matter in in EV range.
    Someone wanted to build twenty-first century street legal tank and went forward. This will not sell to soccer moms and they are a big part of the fancy and loaded truck market as they control 50% of the checkbook.
    You will sell this to single men and only a select group of them.
    I think this makes no sense and will be led to slaughter by Ford and GM.
    Bob.

20. Likes Jashley73, Greg White, tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Aaah, but .......... the Esprit has plenty of curves, although subtle. The original Europa on the other hand was one ugly-ass car with that slab-sided rear.

That Tesla "pickup truck" is even uglier and looks like it can't make up it's mind which way it is going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    And I like my DMC-12 but this is just plain ugly.
    I saw an excuse on the net saying that you can not make it contoured as it would break the pressing machine, most here know better.
    There is no such thing as bullet proof which is another of its claims.
    With the right gun and bullet you can penetrate a tank.
    Marketing gone off the rails here IMO. Why build to small niche even if you like this niche as the owner of the company?
    I do not see the logic in building a polarizing style. It also would make little sense in areo drag which would matter in in EV range.
    Someone wanted to build twenty-first century street legal tank and went forward. This will not sell to soccer moms and they are a big part of the fancy and loaded truck market.
    Bob.

No, but it appeals to plenty of green, nerdy, liberal, techno-geek millennials, who are not soccer moms, since the birth rate is on the decline in the US, and they have the spare cash to splurge on tech that's neat, even if it's not the prettiest. Especially when you consider that you can't buy a brand new F150 or Ram for anywhere NEAR what they're selling the Teslas at... Much less one that can drive itself home.

Most people I know who buy a Tesla ANYTHING aren't doing it for the looks... There are at least 5 of them in my work parking lot every day, my good friend owns a Model X, my neighbor and friend has two BMW i3 BEVs. None of them think their cars are the prettiest things out there... But they love and appreciate all the tech that goes into them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    No, but it appeals to plenty of green, nerdy, liberal, techno-geek millennials, who are not soccer moms,
    That market is not very big.
    Consider how the others can sell tons of 60-$80,000 trucks to many people who actually just need a car.
    But who knows, maybe this will become a F-150 beater and the most common truck on the road in ten years.
    Place your bet and buy Tesla stock with a long hold.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    ...Especially when you consider that you can't buy a brand new F150 or Ram for anywhere NEAR what they're selling the Teslas at...
    I want to see this. No, I mean I want to see the signed sales receipt of the guy buying this truck for the claimed price, once in production. The numbers don't seem to add up.

I honestly hope Tesla succeeds and drives the barriers to new cars - EV cars included - down, so that new cars remain affordable. But a hyper big truck with all sorts of fancy materials, for less than then entire competition? Again, it just doesn't compute...