Electric cars - Tesla and global - Page 13
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    I want to see this. No, I mean I want to see the signed sales receipt of the guy buying this truck for the claimed price, once in production. The numbers don't seem to add up.

I honestly hope Tesla succeeds and drives the barriers to new cars - EV cars included - down, so that new cars remain affordable. But a hyper big truck with all sorts of fancy materials, for less than then entire competition? Again, it just doesn't compute...

I'm rather more incredulous that anyone believes a new F150 is worth $80K.... When you can, in fact, buy a Tesla Model X, which has WAY MORE technology (albeit probably lower R&D costs because of a shorter lifecycle) for the same price already...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That Tesla "pickup truck" is even uglier and looks like it can't make up it's mind which way it is going.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they dusted off a Studebaker design. It does have design cues from the Avanti. Of the Commander it was said you could not tell if it was coming or going.

Coming or Going? 1949 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/0...ker-1852-1966/
    Bill D.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reminds me of Senior Projects gone awry in college . . .

cyberwedgie.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok Boomers!

5. Likes TeachMePlease, gustafson liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    The original Europa on the other hand was one ugly-ass car with that slab-sided rear.
    I like the early ones with the blind quarters and the single windshield wiper. Plus they were cheap.

And you didn't need to watch behind 'cuz ain't nobody was gonna pass you on a twisty road. Ever drive one ? Them things stuck like glue !

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hitch a 7 ton trailer to that thing,and you would be able to do the old trick of walking beside as the thing climbed a 1 in 40 slope....just like the old Diamond T tank recovery trucks with a D9 onboard the trailer.......IMHO ,most buy a giant pickup for one of two reasons.....to tow a trailer that should require a commercial operators licence,....the second reason....dick enhancement ....rev the big V8 ,and add four inches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    ....rev the big V8 ,and add four inches.
    Damn. Is that all? What a POS.

9. Likes camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

F450 Ford was no match for the Cybertruck . . .

11. Likes neilho, Ziggy2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing for sure is that the all electric world will make truck and tractor pulls boring.
    This is traction war so weight and four wheel drive may have influenced the out come a bit in Tesla's promo. (much snake oil used here)
    Very weird thing is that there is now a betting line on a more equal test. Tires and loading are going to be important.
    Given say big stickies on both sides perhaps the convertor in the Ford gives up first but at zero RPM the electric motor and controls are going to heat up.
    Once you or the other spins the tires it's all over

In the dirt I wonder how many "real" horses it takes to drag that truck of any make spinning it's wheels.
    My Uncle used to raise and compete pulling horses. Each of these behemoths with their own personality but practically silent in a pull.
    Simply beautifully gentle giants and so much more stylish.
    Would 8,12 or 16 real life horsepower simply drag backwards a cybertruck like a toy despite it's ratings?

Then there are those old big and heavy steam tractors......... Can Tesla out pull the early 1900's masters.
    I do not think a Cybertruck can pull a 30 bottom plow.

Tesla should never have gotten into a truck pulling contest of this arrangement as advertising as it makes no sense. I think Elon is not from the midwest and did not know better.
    The thing is many of his engineers are from the midwest and should have pointed out that this is a losing battle.

I would like to see what this truck can do with a sled and electronic traction control. I would expect that it would be very, very respectable for a box stock truck.
    I do not think it can out pull 18th or 20th century technology, a poor marketing decision and one sees ego taking over logic.
    Perhaps techie type people on the west or east coast are impressed.
    More it maybes helps with the stock price from people with big money so that side is understandable.

The Vegas odds are kind of all over the place on a rematch.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No.
    Absolutely not.

Every single ac brushless servo in the world, and every single stepper before that, will output full rated torque 24x7 for about 10 years before failing.
    At 0 rpm.
    And-or at any rpm.

Proper power electronics, with proper industrial-type motors or heavy-motive motors like all Teslas (they are all very heavy), last essentially forever in both the motors and the power electronics.
    Just like about 100% of all heavy-duty industrial 3-phase motors in the world, happy to run at 0% rpm when and where designed to do so.

No.
    Absolutely not.
    One of the biggest advantage of electronic controls in EV autos, just like ac servos, is that if the wheels slip the electronic controls react in 1 ms (1 ms for tesla, no-one else in autos power-ec is that good, so far) and adjust and stop the slipping before the wheels start to spin increasingly fast.

I suspect that tractor pulls etc. on EV drivetrains will/can/may still be interesting.
    Perhaps differently.
    EV remote-control miniature RC cars racing still seem to interest people.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    3. One thing for sure is that the all electric world will make truck and tractor pulls boring.

This is traction war so weight and four wheel drive may have influenced the out come a bit in Tesla's promo. (much snake oil used here)

Very weird thing is that there is now a betting line on a more equal test. Tires and loading are going to be important.

Given say big stickies on both sides perhaps the convertor in the Ford gives up first but at zero RPM the electric motor and controls are going to heat up.

Once you or the other spins the tires it's all over

Bob

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only real world application would be pushing trees down ,or grubbing stumps.......If you want to test the EV ,put a ton in the tray,and hitch a trailer with a bobcat (2 ton) on ,then see what the performance is like on a real world road .IMHO tractor pulls are for idiots who like noise,and the stink of rubber smoke ,not me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post

My belly laugh for the day...

16. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

......IMHO tractor pulls are for idiots who like noise,and the stink of rubber smoke ,not me.
    Some us like noise, smoke, and top fuel cars.
    And we also may like grubbing stumps of big old trees or pulling large plows. Different strokes for different folks.
    But due to my upbringing I will always have a very soft spot for a big horse team. No mechanics, no transmission just pure brute power in a very loved and living being.
    Shoveling the stalls also helps teach work effort and tolerance to a very young man.

Elon and 99% of his people have no idea or experience about any of this.
    Not a matter as they are building cars for money and the new competitor is coming. We will see as no one can predict.
    For the first time someone is on a direct attack against his main market. Tesla has never seen that.
    It will be interesting days or years. Behind Ford are others in this assault.

Net info and noise is interesting and exciting but actual sales and profit win.
    Place your bets. Not running the five year with Apple and now facing something it has never had to deal with.
    Bob

18. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    In the dirt I wonder how many "real" horses it takes to drag that truck of any make spinning it's wheels.
    My Uncle used to raise and compete pulling horses. Each of these behemoths with their own personality but practically silent in a pull.
    They say that the average Percheron / Clydesdale / Shire has about 35 - 40 hp in burst mode. Don't know how their traction compares to a wheeled vehicle, tho.

The nicest thing about them is, they are self-replicating. You don't have to go to the bank to borrow money to buy a new one every couple of years

Perhaps techie type people on the west or east coast are impressed.
    Are you sure they don't have those idiots in the Midwest, too ? Can I move ?

The only real world application would be pushing trees down ,or grubbing stumps.......If you want to test the EV ,put a ton in the tray,and hitch a trailer with a bobcat (2 ton) on ,then see what the performance is like on a real world road .
    Already been demonstrated, unfortunately ... that's electric motors turning them wheels.

On the other end, they can go fast, too. 437 kph that I know of. Even the ones with wheels can hit 200 mph.

20. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not driven by batteries,though,which is my point.Or does the Tesla pickup come with a very long extension cord?

22. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not driven by batteries,though,which is my point.
    Ask and ye shall receive

24. Likes jaguar36, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    YouTube

I don't think that was actually footage of the contest. I think that was a Monty Python style animation from photos, complete with sound effects provided by human voice.

In the one I've seen with real vehicles a higher angle camera shows that the bed of the F-150 is empty and the cargo cover on the Tesla makes it impossible to tell. Could be a half ton of lead weights in the back.

Cybertruck...or how NOT to build a vehicle - HomemadeTools.net

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hanermo your PM box is full.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Already been demonstrated, unfortunately ... that's electric motors turning them wheels.

Just to corfuse the minions a wee bit more:
    YouTube

28. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Just to corfuse the minions a wee bit more:
    It's an okay idea but their over the top marketspeak is enough to make you throw up

Does make you wonder why EMD and GE didn't put more battery in their locos years ago to capture dynamic braking energy, instead of burning it off through resistors ?