Close
Login to Your Account
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can also see the Chinese "social credit" system catching on more widely.....In the recent past,highrise living has always failed on the rock of youth crime.....social credit has a simple principle....eliminate the criminal,eliminate the crime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I can also see the Chinese "social credit" system catching on more widely.....In the recent past,highrise living has always failed on the rock of youth crime.....social credit has a simple principle....eliminate the criminal,eliminate the crime.
    That is the exact opposite of what is happening in places like California and New York. They have decriminalized so many offenses that the criminals are enjoying a free ride. Look at the repeat bank robber in New York who was released without bail and immediately robbed another bank.

3. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    That is the exact opposite of what is happening in places like California and New York. They have decriminalized so many offenses that the criminals are enjoying a free ride. Look at the repeat bank robber in New York who was released without bail and immediately robbed another bank.
    Read this article just today: California couple baited, then beat up bicycle thieves, police say

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    That's pretty sick. It seems they were just looking for an excuse to be vicious.

And last I heard, a baseball bat was a potentially deadly weapon and hitting someone with one except in defense of life or limb is a criminal offense. Likely they'll do some jail time although the way CA is dealing with crimes these days, maybe not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the 1980's The pimps in Oakland, Califorina used to carry a golf club. It seemed more refined and high brow then a baseball bat, and just as effective.
    Bill D

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As many as a hundred different makes and models of BEV to launch on the market this year.Price differential (China) is from approx $15k US to $I/2 mil US.2022 has come early.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was behind yet another Tesla at a traffic light yesterday. I think it was a Model 3. It looks as though Model 3s will be a far more common sight than the Model S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    As many as a hundred different makes and models of BEV to launch on the market this year.Price differential (China) is from approx $15k US to $I/2 mil US.2022 has come early.
    Someone, I think Gordon, posted a link to a Chinese EV for $8K US and a range of 150 miles.....

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The same listing says the Chinese Tesla base model will sell for circa $30kUS.,but the first report I read was a private opinion that Tesla China was aiming at a similar price to other base models ,at the $15/20k point.....In India there is already zillions of BE tuk-tuks ,reportedly so basic they have no springs and only a 50 mile battery capacity,and quite frequently passengers have to push them up steep inclines...In some cities there is a novel scheme where the authorities come along with a truck with crane and bin ,and hoist an offending (smokey) tuk tuk into the bin ,and drop a weight on it....End of tuk tuk ,no compensation.

11. Likes camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Someone, I think Gordon, posted a link to a Chinese EV for $8K US and a range of 150 miles.....
    Once...150 miles and it's done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still, it points out the possibilities. Enthusiastic, optimistic mfgers, with gubmint support (or at least not interfering), cranking it out. It could happen in this country, too, though it doesn't seem likely.

The first Fords were POS's, too.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    The first Fords were POS's, too.
    Speaking of Fords, a new four-door electric almost ran over me at lunch. Didn't get the model cuz I was busy scurrying but it was white.

Is Ford selling fullsize electrics in the US now ? Looked like just a regular ol' sedan but had electric plates.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    On the local news this morning the City of Somerville is cutting the number of traffic lanes in half and dedicating the other half to buses and bicycles. I've read that the city of Newton is taking similar, although less radical measures along with approving huge pack-em-and-stack-em housing projects. They keep talking about the need for "affordable housing" for city workers, etc. but what are being built are luxury condos priced out of reach of those people. In the process of demolition that preceeds the building they are actually destroying older affordable apartments that sit above small retail shops.

All of these politicians use phrases like "livable cities" and "walkable cities" but what they are really doing is ruining the quality of life by increasing crowding and congestion.
    Yes, they love their code words (whisper "sprawl" at a planning meeting and watch the blood drain from their faces, like vampires exposed to sunlight).

We had a planner who professed not to understand why workers in Casper couldn't ride bicycles to work so they wouldn't pollute the air with their long-bed crew-cab duallies. He had worked in various offices all his life—notably in Portland, which somewhat explains his worldview. But he just couldn't wrap his mind around the concept of working on a rig 50 miles out on the plains.

His other thing was narrower streets to promote a "sense of community." The standard 36-foot-wide street was wasteful (unless you cared about the little kids on tricycles, in which case it could be wider yet). Frankly I don't want my life to be any more communal than it already is by virtue of the lot spacing. And fuck walking around the neighborhood. People would think I was trying to pirate their wi-fi...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Yes, they love their code words (whisper "sprawl" at a planning meeting and watch the blood drain from their faces, like vampires exposed to sunlight).

We had a planner who professed not to understand why workers in Casper couldn't ride bicycles to work so they wouldn't pollute the air with their long-bed crew-cab duallies. He had worked in various offices all his life—notably in Portland, which somewhat explains his worldview. But he just couldn't wrap his mind around the concept of working on a rig 50 miles out on the plains.

His other thing was narrower streets to promote a "sense of community." The standard 36-foot-wide street was wasteful (unless you cared about the little kids on tricycles, in which case it could be wider yet). Frankly I don't want my life to be any more communal than it already is by virtue of the lot spacing. And fuck walking around the neighborhood. People would think I was trying to pirate their wi-fi...
    ….and something about those -25f days kinda put the brakes on bicycles….

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    ...He had worked in various offices all his life—notably in Portland, which somewhat explains his worldview. But he just couldn't wrap his mind around the concept of working on a rig 50 miles out on the plains.
    The planners here have created an "Urban Growth Boundary". Beyond which, the zoning prohibits most commercial activities. To prevent "urban sprawl" as they say. I think it's to keep the "farms and forests" within driving range of their electric cars, so they can show their kids what a real cow looks like...

So real estate prices within the city keep going up and up, forcing out the little guys. I have 5 new hi-rise condos- either finished or under construction- within a block of my shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    The planners here have created an "Urban Growth Boundary". Beyond which, the zoning prohibits most commercial activities. To prevent "urban sprawl" as they say. I think it's to keep the "farms and forests" within driving range of their electric cars, so they can show their kids what a real cow looks like...

So real estate prices within the city keep going up and up, forcing out the little guys. I have 5 new hi-rise condos- either finished or under construction- within a block of my shop.
    That's because they have actually banned multifamily housing in most of the city, so there is tremendous pressure on the industrial and commerical land to become apartments. In Vancouver for example, between 75% and 85% of the land area is reserved for single family housing. We have to end that to allow the housing market to catch up to demand, at least in coastal cities. I need to get a picture of the high rise condo that got built where our PM friend Implemex used to have his shop in a U-store it place. It's very high end. Marcus now has a lovely shop just on the edge of ex-shipyard gentrification in North Vancouver, and we need to draw the line and end this zoning nonsense so places his don't have to go condo.