Electric cars worldwide - and Tesla - Page 15
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    So eleccy don't float yer boat then Wheelie - I know i'd sooner have the stinkwheel - RingDingDing
    No, it doesn't! I don't care how fast/powerful it is. It has no soul. But, beyond that!
    And much, much worse: the push for electric because it is "better for the environment" is a god-damn farce!
    Its all a bunch of bullshit! They are worse! Far worse!

Jesse James said it best:
    "I would like to start of by saying electric cars and motorcycles can F*ck Off!. Ok now that we have that out of the way I can explain exactly why.
    First and foremost let’s talk about the Ohh so “planet friendly” Formula E racing series. Now at first glance you might think that this “clean” form of racing must be the way of the future, right?? Not so much. Let take a peek at what’s really going on.
    The very first indication this might be Bullshit is the 20 CAT Diesel generators in the pits running full throttle charging the batteries for these cars. Each car uses two 550 pound Lithium batteries per race. These batteries put out 250KW of power, and have a maximum output of 54KWH (kilowatt hours). On the high side the average U.S. home uses about 20KWH of power per day. One Formula E car, in one race uses four times that in 50 minutes. The recent Hong Kong race had 25 cars on the grid, using fifty 550lb Lithium batteries in 50 minutes. That’s a total of 2700 Kilowatt Hours. Or more than enough to power 10 homes for a month. That’s a lot of juice! Also the five power-plants in Hong Kong are powered by Diesel, Coal, and Gasoline. Whoopsie! Now let’s take a look at these newfangled Lithium batteries. The big companies hawking electric cars and motorcycles would love you to believe that Fossil fuel is so harmful, and electric power is so clean. It’s actually the opposite. We are swapping a carbon monoxide problem that is fixable and controllable. For a toxic Lithium mining that kills wild life, ruins the water table and destroys agriculture. The mining process uses a ton of water. A million gallons of water per 2 metric tons of lithium(Each Tesla has 12 kilos of Lithium). In some South American countries like Chile. Lithium mining uses almost 70% of the countries water supply. Also if you are naive enough to think that there isn’t a bunch of diesel powered machinery used in the process? Think again. These Lithium batteries also leave a toxic footprint on the way out. Contamination of landfills and seeping into the water table........."

But the god-damn greenie sheeple suck it up. Without researching the reality of the big picture!
    I would be all for electric vehicles. IF! And only if, they were charged by solar power. And, solar power ONLY! Never gonna happen. And they used some kind of "green" battery.
    BUT! Until they come up with some kind of battery other than lithium? Electric vehicles can fuck off! (yes, I am very opinionated about this)

For more reasons than just the obvious. I hate how stupid society is. And, I hate how stupid yet powerful government is.

2. Likes barbter, bucktruck, DrHook, SND, Oldwrench and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jonok View Post
    I drive rentals extensively while on business, but look forward to my old truck with “stupid” cruise control, because I hate being a bloody impediment to traffic when some idiot in front of me hits the brakes 200 yds ahead. On just about everything I drive, one can’t turn it off.
    I've been using my 1970 Dodge as my daily since my truck has been down for 3~4 months now.
    Even after I fix my truck, as long as it is not hot enough to need A/C, I think I am just gonna keep driving the '70!
    (the A/C in the '70 just got bumped to the top of the fix-it list after I get my truck running!)

4. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    This thread makes me
    My work here is done.....

6. Likes wheelieking71, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jesse James said it best:
    If you quoted Sonny I might listen. But Jesse James, that pretend-badguy, wannabe teevee-twat ? Never built anything worth a shit in his entire life ?

get outta dodge !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    If you quoted Sonny I might listen. But Jesse James, that pretend-badguy, wannabe teevee-twat ? Never built anything worth a shit in his entire life ?

get outta dodge !
    LOL. He isn't my favorite person either. But, he said exactly what needs to be said (more importantly understood) perfectly.

Which is: electric vehicles are not the "green" solution the government would lead you to believe they are. Quite the contrary.

9. Likes tdmidget, barbter, DrHook, SND, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah ,maybe,but lekky cars caint make no crazy amount of noise as they pull out of the Maccas next door......and I dont care what colour they are ..green ,red ,blue ......silent is alls I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya know, you could just ignore the environmental claims on both sides and drive one. Last I checked, that's what they're for.

Try the AWD version with about 500hp available instantly, at any speed. It'll kick the ass of whatever yer drivin' now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Ya know, you could just ignore the environmental claims on both sides and drive one. Last I checked, that's what they're for.

Try the AWD version with about 500hp available instantly, at any speed. It'll kick the ass of whatever yer drivin' now.
    Why would I do that? I'm all for saving the planet. And, electric vehicles is NOT the answer.
    I don't bitch when I have to take my junk through emissions. I'm all for it. Gas-miser cars, and hyper-miling, getting 50+ MPG? Yea, great.
    But, pushing electric vehicles because they produce no emissions, and they are "environment friendly" is just bullshit!
    The government is requiring automakers to sell more electric vehicles. This is bullshit.
    There are numerous studies done by credible people proving electric cars are NOT environment friendly. Not at all.
    (no I'm not supplying links, we all have google)

13. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why would I do that? I'm all for saving the planet. And, electric vehicles is NOT the answer.
    I don't bitch when I have to take my junk through emissions. I'm all for it. Gas-miser cars, and hyper-miling, getting 50+ MPG? Yea, great.
    But, pushing electric vehicles because they produce no emissions, and they are "environment friendly" is just bullshit!
    The government is requiring automakers to sell more electric vehicles. This is bullshit.
    There are numerous studies done by credible people proving electric cars are NOT environment friendly. Not at all.
    (no I'm not supplying links, we all have google)

sorry, none of this is true

there are political rants that push numbers that say that electric vehicles might not be environmentally friendly, but generally don't pass the laugh test
    Like oh the batteries will only last five years and you charge from coal and blah blah, all not true

CA has an EV requirement, but that appears to being met easily

Stick with facts

You can make an argument with facts and not right wing propaganda

I have said many times I thing serial hybrids/plug in hybrids are the answer today, and over time the engines will get smaller till they eventually disappear, but honestly, in every way except charging time[which is only an issue in trips over the range of the vehicle, usually only twice the range of the vehicle] Teslas are better cars than most other cars in their class.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    Having owned cars with model years from 1949 to 2015, I sure dont agree.
    I have seen a constant, and easily noticeable improvement in technology all along the way.
    Post 2000, I owned a nifty Mazda 3 hatchback, with a smart (and I mean smart) automatic that was far superior to any slushbox I had owned previously, It was an amazing car to drive in the twisties, fast and stable and fun, comparable to a 2000 year car that cost 3 or 4 times as much and required much more repairs. I have driven "ordinary" Hondas and Toyotas post 2010 that were so much better than cars ten years earlier.
    Brakes, trannies, and suspension keep getting better, and the service intervals getting longer and longer.
    I have bought, and driven for 200k or so, several post 2000 cars that, aside from brakes and tires, required zero maintenance beyond oil changes. I owned a bunch of 70s, 80s, and 90s cars that were NOT the same.

I dont use wifi hot spots, but I am quite partial to the heated seats and steering wheel volume control on my current little honda, which is much better than a ten year older honda. I like the fact that my phone automatically goes to hands free when I get in the car- these are real benefits, not "gadgetry". And that honda, a Fit, gets an honest 45mpg, can keep up at highway speeds, something that my 70s toyotas and 60s datsuns and 90s nissan sure didnt do.

The main reason they add gadgetry to modern cars is because it sells.
    If nobody bought it, it would be gone in a year.
    They used to offer manual transmissions in the USA- and nobody wanted em, hence the current 95% plus rate of cars sold in the USA with autos. As long ago as 1986, I had to order the 5 speed manual from the factory on my camaro.
    The car makers respond to the market.
    They have to.

I only recently got my first car with adaptive cruise control, and havent used it enough to have an opinion, but every friend of mine who has it swears they will never buy another car without it, for example.
    I agree with Scott on this one, because over the last 20 years cars are not getting better, they are heavier, faster, and have more toys, but they are no more efficient.

Look at the difference a 1970 and a 1990 car, huge technological improvements, 2000-2020, not so much

16. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The government is requiring automakers to sell more electric vehicles. ....
    Not seeing this, your auto world is different than mine.
    Customers drive this marketplace. Sell, sell, sell.
    Bob

18. Likes Ries, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A guy wanted to look at some stuff in my other yard,and he came to my home to pick me up in a 1952 Studebaker sedan with a 3l flathead six....I was amazed how well it went ,the thing was no different to a modern car how it drove,very impressive.....So ,it seems there has been no improvement since 1952.

20. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Not seeing this, your auto world is different than mine.
    Customers drive this marketplace. Sell, sell, sell.
    Bob
    government mandated electric vehicle sales - Google Search

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    sorry, none of this is true

there are political rants that push numbers that say that electric vehicles might not be environmentally friendly, but generally don't pass the laugh test
    Like oh the batteries will only last five years and you charge from coal and blah blah, all not true

CA has an EV requirement, but that appears to being met easily

Stick with facts

You can make an argument with facts and not right wing propaganda

I have said many times I thing serial hybrids/plug in hybrids are the answer today, and over time the engines will get smaller till they eventually disappear, but honestly, in every way except charging time[which is only an issue in trips over the range of the vehicle, usually only twice the range of the vehicle] Teslas are better cars than most other cars in their class.
    Bullshit. Its all true.
    And, Teslas are junk. The fit/finish is terrible. Parking a Tesla next to a Toyota would be like parking a Hurco next to a Hermle.
    I poked around one a few months ago. Garbage. Its a god-damn disposable POS. And, the wind-noise at speed! WTF?!

23. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I agree with Scott on this one, because over the last 20 years cars are not getting better, they are heavier, faster, and have more toys, but they are no more efficient.

Look at the difference a 1970 and a 1990 car, huge technological improvements, 2000-2020, not so much
    Many things that used to be options are now standard equipment but they still work essentially the same. They are able to lower the unit cost by installing in more vehicles and through manufacturing efficiency.

20 years ago my Buick had heated seats and steering wheel volume control. Other buttons on the wheel switched stations or tracks, switched between radio, cassette tape and CD, sought out stations, muted volume, etc.

It also had automatic headlights, auto dimming mirrors, digital displays for oil life, estimated range, etc., automatic climate control (just select temperature) 4-wheel disk brakes with ABS, electronic traction control, and a ton of other features.

My neighbor's Lincoln of the same vintage had all that and more including variable ride height and lots of other "goodies". Another neighbor's ten plus year old Chrysler had a ton of gadgets and even a button that automatically adjusted the seat and mirrors for different drivers. Convenient since he was well over six feet and his wife barely over five.

One elderly neighbor still has a 1999 Camry. My point was that a ton of cars from about Y2K onward are still very comfortable to drive, handle and stop safely, produce low emissions, and are fully capable of being taken on interstate trips in all kinds of weather. Some of the cheaper cars may now be better due to more things included as standard equipment but they also cost more.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On good point with the Lincoln,is the Chinese wont be able to shut it down one fine day,like every other car in the US with Chinese chips....."Elroy ,why has all them cars stopped ?" "Nothin ma,jes them dang Chinas invadin agin"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And, Teslas are junk. The fit/finish is terrible. Parking a Tesla next to a Toyota would be like parking a Hurco next to a Hermle.
    I poked around one a few months ago. Garbage. Its a god-damn disposable POS. And, the wind-noise at speed! WTF?!
    That is an interesting view or review of Teslas.
    I'm not a fan by any measure but have not seen this type information or feedback.
    My experience is very limited.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to keep driving my 99 Beetle TDI until it dies...

Tesla does have QC issues but hey, they are in iteration ONE.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Coming soon to a car near you........A laptop, TV, and snack tray built into your steering wheel.
    YouTube
    Seat has a hole in the middle of it too.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post

Yup, dark and stormy night, trying to drive slowly down a hilly road, raining on the ice.
    If you stop and get out, when you slam the door you'll fall right on your ass.

Been in these conditions many times.

500 hp applied would wrap my truck clear around the telephone
    pole I'm trying to avoid....