Electric cars worldwide - and Tesla - Page 27
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Results 521 to 532 of 532
  1. #521
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    17,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post

    As for BEVs and cold weather I used to read the blogs of a Norwegian Tesla enthusiast who experimented to stretch the vehicle's range and one schemes was to use a heated snowmobile suit instead of cabin heat. Years ago I had to drive an IC engine vehicle for a week in bitterly cold February weather with the heater core bypassed. The wait was necessary for parts and shop time to become available. I had to dress like an arctic explorer and be very careful not to frost the inside of the windshield with my breath. It just plain sucked.

    PS: Most BEV owners I've talked to try to heat the cabin and defrost windows on a cold morning while they are still hooked to the charger. Coming home after parking in an open lot all day is another matter but there is usually some solar heating to help.
    ...and we all know that Tesla and other BEV types would never allow a 20 lb propane tank in the trunk to enable all the clean heat they would ever need....NO WAY !

    "All electric or nuthin' " yup...
    "Nuthin' " is the applicable word here.

    They need to try some compromises...

  2. #522
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    72
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    The batteries in a Tesla model S are replaceable but it is not a 5 minute job.
    Its actually less than a 5 minute job. Tesla originally designed the S to have a swappable battery pack, and even built a robotic battery swap station. This was before supercharges became prolific. The lack of demand for swapping as well as the logistics of it caused them to give up on the idea.

  3. #523
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    4,389
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    421
    Likes (Received)
    2671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    ...and we all know that Tesla and other BEV types would never allow a 20 lb propane tank in the trunk to enable all the clean heat they would ever need....NO WAY !

    "All electric or nuthin' " yup...
    "Nuthin' " is the applicable word here.

    They need to try some compromises...
    Propane is not 'clean' when considering a BEV

    Part of the problem is that the EPA does not require the heat or AC to run in mileage tests, so Tesla does not use a heat pump heater. They also do not scavenge heat from the controls. Both of which I find foolish especially on a higher end vehicle. I suppose it gets pretty complex to reroute control related or battery heat depending on what the occupants want. Other companies use a heat pump apparently

    BEV's do not have the massive amount of waste heat that ICE cars do, so it is something that they have to work on

  4. #524
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    3,973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1794

    Default

    In somewhat-related news, especially for the Brits here, I saw an electric MG today. Looked pretty nice (but not like what we think of as an MG). Went past too quick to get a photo, but at least the marque is keeping up with the Joneses, not dead yet

  5. #525
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    4,389
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    421
    Likes (Received)
    2671

    Default

    looks like a Mazda.....

  6. #526
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    3,973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    looks like a Mazda.....
    Like everything ... they all look the same now. Gone are the days when cars had individual character.

    It was red, that's all I can say for sure

  7. Likes camscan liked this post
  8. #527
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    4,389
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    421
    Likes (Received)
    2671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Like everything ... they all look the same now. Gone are the days when cars had individual character.

    It was red, that's all I can say for sure
    eh not really, lots of people couldn't tell a Matador from a Fairlane, a 56 Ford from a 56 Chevy, any 80's Japanese car from any other Japanese car.

    More interesting to me is stagnation. Look at a 1996 Audi A4 and a 2016, its like the same car.

  9. #528
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    5,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5093
    Likes (Received)
    5118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    ...and we all know that Tesla and other BEV types would never allow a 20 lb propane tank in the trunk to enable all the clean heat they would ever need....NO WAY !

    "All electric or nuthin' " yup...
    "Nuthin' " is the applicable word here.

    They need to try some compromises...
    It probably wouldn't even require a 20 pound tank. The old Volkswagon Beatles were notorious for lousy heat in very cold weather but I knew several owners who bought a kit that used a 1 pound disposable cylinder for auxiliary heat. The cylinders lasted quite a while and the difference in comfort and window defrosting was like night and day.

    On a side note many fuel burning vehicles such as long haul diesel trucks and some aircraft now use an APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) that solves the problem of cold starts after long periods of sitting with the engine off. The drastic fuel savings pay for the cost in a reasonable amount of time. Years ago if you went to a truck stop there were dozens of trucks idling all night long whereas today most are shut off.

  10. Likes digger doug liked this post
  11. #529
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    714
    Likes (Received)
    2421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    ...The old Volkswagon Beatles were notorious for lousy heat in very cold weather but I knew several owners who bought a kit that used a 1 pound disposable cylinder for auxiliary heat.
    When I was in college, a roommate had a bug. Ellensburg, WA gets very cold in wintertime. We used to carry a can of that spray windshield de-icer. For the inside.

    GM has announced intention to license their new battery tech to other carmakers in a shot at Tesla.

    GM Licensing Its New Battery Tech Could Put Tesla Out of Business

  12. #530
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    384
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    181
    Likes (Received)
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    GM has announced intention to license their new battery tech to other carmakers in a shot at Tesla.

    GM Licensing Its New Battery Tech Could Put Tesla Out of Business
    Interesting article. Some funny math in there though: the GM battery target of $100/kwh "would make GM’s battery tech over 50% cheaper than Tesla’s. According to Cairn Energy Research Advisors, Tesla’s battery cost per kilowatt-hour is currently $158.27." Not quite how math works there, bud. The Tesla battery would be 50% more expensive, making the GM battery 33% cheaper.

    Other than that, even if the new battery drives Tesla into the ground, Musk won't be unhappy. One of his stated goals for the company is to shake up the auto industry, so ifTesla gets martyred in the process of making EV a viable option, Musk will still consider that a success. However, owning a Tesla is seen as something of a status symbol at this time, so even a significant cost advantage won't sink him immediately.

  13. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
  14. #531
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunny South West Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11430
    Likes (Received)
    3713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post
    Interesting article. Some funny math in there though: the GM battery target of $100/kwh "would make GM’s battery tech over 50% cheaper than Tesla’s. According to Cairn Energy Research Advisors, Tesla’s battery cost per kilowatt-hour is currently $158.27." Not quite how math works there, bud. The Tesla battery would be 50% more expensive, making the GM battery 33% cheaper.

    Other than that, even if the new battery drives Tesla into the ground, Musk won't be unhappy. One of his stated goals for the company is to shake up the auto industry, so ifTesla gets martyred in the process of making EV a viable option, Musk will still consider that a success. However, owning a Tesla is seen as something of a status symbol at this time, so even a significant cost advantage won't sink him immediately.

    Most "journalists" these days can't even write... Why would they be able to do math?

    This is the country that killed the 1/3lb burger because they thought a 1/4lb burger was bigger. C'mon.

  15. #532
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    3,973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post
    However, owning a Tesla is seen as something of a status symbol at this time, so even a significant cost advantage won't sink him immediately.
    Might even help them .... it's easier to make money on luxury niche cars than standard ol' sedans, so if Tesla had to retreat to being a Lincoln, for example, they could come out better financially.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •