What's new
What's new

Foundry Pattern Making

Thank you for response.i am looking for some from US r Europe region, Any way do you mind sharing your mail Id?

I also have a common question , wish you could help me out .I am currently working as foundry pattern maker and could see there has been no invovation or much technology involved in pattern making. We are still chopping the patterns/master patterns manually and also couldn't able to find men's who are interested to work in this sector , only a hand full of skilled works and also lack of projects from foundries. Is this sign that the sector is going down or already depricated?

Well, there are higher-tech ways to do it, if you can't find guys to carve mahogany and apply wax fillets:

(1) 3D print your master patterns, take silicone impressions of them and then pour working patterns using an epoxy material like Dyna-Cast, or
(2) directly machine wood or composite pattern material with a CNC mill, or
(3) 3D print both the cores and the mold itself from resin-set sand or refractory plaster, or
(4) machine aluminum coreboxes and use blown cores for the whole job.

There's no limit to how much high technology you can use. The limit is in how much money it's worth spending on it...

Well, there are higher-tech ways to do it, if you can't find guys to carve mahogany and apply wax fillets:

(1) 3D print your master patterns, take silicone impressions of them and then pour working patterns using an epoxy material like Dyna-Cast, or
(2) directly machine wood or composite pattern material with a CNC mill, or
(3) 3D print both the cores and the mold itself from resin-set sand or refractory plaster, or
(4) machine aluminum coreboxes and use blown cores for the whole job.

There's no limit to how much high technology you can use. The limit is in how much money it's worth spending on it...

I know it’s an older post, but I used to hand cast parts ( usually for R&D groups) using evaporative pattern casting where the patterns were CNC machined ( or occasionally manually) out of PMMA. I’ve done them in brass, gray iron ductile iron and aluminum.

Did some crazy hydrostatic parts with dozens of internal passages-glued them up in a walk-in cooler to slow down the alcohol based glue. Crickets on how they finally worked. I had to return the unused foams. Engineers designed the flow around a oil passage 1% smaller than a 1/4” ball end mill.

Did one series of parts that were run on a nascar car during an actual Winston cup race.

Yep. Deprecated. OP
I would not hold your breath searching for traditional wood pattern makers. Not saying there isn’t one or two still out their but they are rapidly retiring to play checkers with their buggy-whip making buddies.
We aren’t growing them anymore.
As mentioned casting patterns are largely being CNC milled, 3D printed, etc. Companies carving them manually out of poplar and mahogany are on life support even if they don’t yet realize it.
We still have a traditional pattern shop in house but drastically downsized the manual equipment and with only one or two guys who do mostly repairs or make boxes, mount patterns to bords and uber simple shapes.

Back