Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would start by merging all of Gordons OT threads into one thread and if you accidently delete some of them just tell him shit happens and you are sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That made me think that it might be a good idea to close or lock or even delete all the threads in this area and start fresh with new posts. No idea how much work that would be, may not be worth it.

3. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    I would start by merging all of Gordons OT threads into one thread and if you accidently delete some of them just tell him shit happens and you are sorry.
    I don't know. That might be OK, but I'm not sure I've heard everything that there is to know about Denmark yet.

5. Likes Spinit, Shawnrs liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent T View Post
    Don't come right now! It's freaking cold outside. Come for the cheese...stay because your car won't start...
    LOL. Truth. This week might just top the Bikini Season of '07/'08, when we had the 30' icebergs off the beach's shore. They had to lay down ladders to get to the water because the shoreline had frozen solid. This year's was fairly scorching in comparison. Not a flake to be found ( speaking only of precipitation, not participants ) and sand flowed freely 'tween the toes.

Not this week, though... Might actually have to kick the heater on. Usually the WEDM and turning center can keep the shop warm enough. I've suspicion that won't be the case come tomorrow morn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

''Giving our Moderator a break. I welcome any feedback. Spinit ''

A break?????????? a break ??????????????????? ;- tell me, which bones did you have in mind?

8. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His funny bone?

10. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    That made me think that it might be a good idea to close or lock or even delete all the threads in this area and start fresh with new posts. No idea how much work that would be, may not be worth it.
    I'm a fan of closing -- but not of deleting.

Too much like stifling dissent, burning books, creating a party line, etc. to me.

12. Likes Rob F., Spinit, Big B liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post

Too much like stifling dissent, burning books, creating a party line, etc. to me.
    The problem I see with closing only is that in the spinning down into a free Fall it provides a record for the decline which can be visited again and again to get into that kind of conflict. To me it is like playing a wreck over and over again it is like a broken window which is unfixed or a downtown street which is trashy in neglect.

I believe it has attracted here the very type of person we would wish would just drive by and keep going. It is better for them to search the barren wastelands and possess another host not here.

14. Likes Mud, Newman109 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I have seen many cases where people hear a thread dieting ( edit; die ing ) and see it and ask in effect “ Why keep going?” . I think that is a valid point at some point you can view it as stopping the bleeding.
    Last edited by Spinit; 01-30-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post

Not in my mind unless perhaps it would be useful to excite some threads. Move them deeper in the forum. I do not want to create some party line. I only want to move things into a reflection and into the reality of a functioning site and to do this descisions must be made. Feedback is always good.

Some threads are over 8 years old. Sometimes people mistake them for some reason and post in them. This just drags back a bad thread just like in a marriage a old argument is restarted. It just festers as a sore. A exposed and untended wound. I think when a thread reaches this notoriety draconian reputation then it is time to put it down.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    The problem I see with closing only is that in the spinning down into a free Fall it provides a record for the decline which can be visited again and again to get into that kind of conflict. To me it is like playing a wreck over and over again it is like a broken window which is unfixed or a downtown street which is trashy in neglect.

I believe it has attracted here the very type of person we would wish would just drive by and keep going. It is better for them to search the barren wastelands and possess another host not here.
    Yup, and when it comes to "Harry Homeshop" questions in the general forum,
    I have seen the posters quote old threads (now locked) as reason they
    thought it was o.k. to post about some banned machine/subject.
    Also, by the time Milacron locks a thread, the Op got an bunch of answers
    anyways, so the impetus is to "shoot first, apologize later"

We are dealing with gnat attention spans here.

18. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will be slow to delete threads out of respect and consideration of closing free access. Sometimes it is useful in that further threads can be benefitted in avoiding a decline into free for all mode. In any shop free for all mode is not ignored as it must be addressed and stopped.

Thanks for the feedback, I take it into reason and careful consideration always.
    Spinit

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everyone gets their say. I wish Thermite's posts had a better ratio of quality content to word count, but oh well. The world could use more character.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post

Spinit, My take on this is that by leaving the record, and stopping it at the first instance of personal attack, you're demonstrating what behavior we don't want (and also providing, as you say, a way for someone to appeal that call -- sort of like replay). We close threads, when discovered, that are meaningless titles (recently "F'Y'all") or inquire about ways to turn a Harbor Freight 9" lathe into a Hardinge HLV. A poster might complain (as I think is OK once or even twice), but pretty soon they either get the idea and either leave or conform.

I feel the same about editing threads. Leave the record there. We should be big enough boys and girls to live with our words and actions. But shut a thread down that's there simply to disrespect someone else or even a shotgun's blast at a group of people (all you conservatives, all you liberals . . .). That's my take. Shut it down. Explain why. Repeat as needed. 3x and you're out.

Personally, I don't like to see a dialogue where threads are mysteriously disappeared or edited to mean something else.

22. Likes M.B. Naegle, Spinit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I almost forgot...If your coming up for a visit...bring a cooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I almost forgot...If your coming up for a visit...bring a cooler.
    Why? So the beer does not freeze?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So my closed thread got deleted but the "How much wall for 5.6 bil" thread is still there? I'm not a fan of deleting (censoring) any threads. If you feel they need to be closed so be it but deleting them smacks of censorship and I think that is a really bad idea.

Looks like you should change the name to "How's the weather in America and Europe".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Why? So the beer does not freeze?
    No, to carry some snowballs home....

27. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    So my closed thread got deleted but the "How much wall for 5.6 bil" thread is still there? I'm not a fan of deleting (censoring) any threads. If you feel they need to be closed so be it but deleting them smacks of censorship and I think that is a really bad idea.

Looks like you should change the name to "How's the weather in America and Europe".
    I don't see it as "your" thread, Memeber "doug" started it.

It does appear you did some "altering of the course" of the OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recall how this part of the forum was when I joined. It was pretty much a free for all with republicans having a lot to say and democrats not so much. Now that there is some balance the wheels have supposedly fallen off and it needs to change with deleting threads that aren't acceptable to some.

You asked for an opinion and I'm giving you mine. Delete if it doesn't fit your idea of what you think this area of the forum should be about.

With the duties of moderating there is also a responsibility to be fair to ALL of the members, not just a few of them.