Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I recall how this part of the forum was when I joined. It was pretty much a free for all with republicans having a lot to say and democrats not so much. Now that there is some balance the wheels have supposedly fallen off and it needs to change with deleting threads that aren't acceptable to some.

You asked for an opinion and I'm giving you mine. Delete if it doesn't fit your idea of what you think this area of the forum should be about.

With the duties of moderating there is also a responsibility to be fair to ALL of the members, not just a few of them.
    No need to get butt hurt, I think the moderation is sorely lacking.

Not pro dem or pro repub moderating, just "Let it all hang out" and the namecalling and threats seem to all start around "page 3".

Hopefully the new mod will address this, strongly.
    Including deleting, as well as banning (start with a month off,
    and work up from there)

if you don't like it, you can go anywhere else.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Spinit, My take on this is that by leaving the record, and stopping it at the first instance of personal attack, you're demonstrating what behavior we don't want (and also providing, as you say, a way for someone to appeal that call -- sort of like replay). We close threads, when discovered, that are meaningless titles (recently "F'Y'all") or inquire about ways to turn a Harbor Freight 9" lathe into a Hardinge HLV. A poster might complain (as I think is OK once or even twice), but pretty soon they either get the idea and either leave or conform.

I feel the same about editing threads. Leave the record there. We should be big enough boys and girls to live with our words and actions. But shut a thread down that's there simply to disrespect someone else or even a shotgun's blast at a group of people (all you conservatives, all you liberals . . .). That's my take. Shut it down. Explain why. Repeat as needed. 3x and you're out.

Personally, I don't like to see a dialogue where threads are mysteriously disappeared or edited to mean something else.
    Thanks Pete,
    Good points I realize since they are for the most part just closed I see traditional behavior there in moderation. I do think the concept can be useful if the issue comes to a head.

Appreciated comment Pete. I will delete no threads for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

....It was pretty much a free for all with republicans having a lot to say and democrats not so much...

With the duties of moderating there is also a responsibility to be fair to ALL of the members, not just a few of them.
    I'd think that politically motivated discussions should not belong to the forum at all. The keyword should be "manufacturing", IMHO. This subforum was allowed (and stimulated) to become a waste field long ago. It promoted divisiveness and hatred instead of being a place to exchange professional ideas and approaches with the overseas colleagues.

P.S. Frankly, I doubt that there is any need to have this subforum as a separate entity at all. But I have to admit that it helped isolate certain individuals from polluting the main forums.

4. Likes Spinit, Steven-Canada liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Thanks Pete,
    Good points I realize since they are for the most part just closed I see traditional behavior there in moderation. I do think the concept can be useful if the issue comes to a head.

Appreciated comment Pete. I will delete no threads for the time being.
    You already did delete a thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    No need to get butt hurt, I think the moderation is sorely lacking.

Not pro dem or pro repub moderating, just "Let it all hang out" and the namecalling and threats seem to all start around "page 3".

Hopefully the new mod will address this, strongly.
    Including deleting, as well as banning (start with a month off,
    and work up from there)

if you don't like it, you can go anywhere else.
    I'm not butt hurt. But when I spend my time commenting on a post and then someone decides to censor it I'm not happy about it. I can see closing a thread but deleting it is just plain wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm pretty sure that the term moderator comes from the word moderation. I've seen heavy handed moderation ruin a few forums. When people take the time to post and give their opinion and then a moderator decides to censor it this leads to less people posting.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I almost forgot...If your coming up for a visit...bring a cooler.
    A cooler why because I am such are square?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You already did delete a thread.
    yep what I wrote (if you care) is that for a while I will take Pete M ‘s point and show restraint and not do so for a while. Tell us what you believe Big.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not butt hurt. But when I spend my time commenting on a post and then someone decides to censor it I'm not happy about it. I can see closing a thread but deleting it is just plain wrong.
    Hey Big I have seen you work. I am not plussed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    His funny bone?
    No, he'll need that one, ………………………..or Valium.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, and when it comes to "Harry Homeshop" questions in the general forum,
    I have seen the posters quote old threads (now locked) as reason they
    thought it was o.k. to post about some banned machine/subject.
    Also, by the time Milacron locks a thread, the Op got an bunch of answers
    anyways, so the impetus is to "shoot first, apologize later"

We are dealing with gnat attention spans here.
    When Millacron took a action often he just got wild backlash. Fact is the Forum has rules and that is a solid fact. Whenever some guys start up the environment in a shop to division and hostility then in this country the boss will put a stop to it. Here there are the means to identify and to enforce some kind of focus on Manufacturing. Various other topics tie into this which is normal. Consequences are seen.

I have ave no way of knowing what the alleged intent was of starting this sub forum. I did not set it up. If you are not part of that descision then you can not know either. All you have is heresay and rumors. By talking about unfounded rumors about this sub being a place for deplorable you are trashing this sub forum in my view and trying to be cute about doing it or you simply do not know. You are a night Bomber. Perhaps you are something else I do not know.

I will tell anyone to do the next right thing regarding actions in the forum. Don’t come in and post once and just trash the forum and leave. I have not seen many who come here and bomb the forum and then disappear ever do any thing positive. I view that as some malcontent being attracted here because he may be temporaily bored where he does the same or worse. That is fine. It happens a lot the problem is sister-in-law to the whole web not just here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm pretty sure that the term moderator comes from the word moderation. I've seen heavy handed moderation ruin a few forums. When people take the time to post and give their opinion and then a moderator decides to censor it this leads to less people posting.
    See how it goes.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Why? So the beer does not freeze?
    Ha I understand your language a cooler and it is a given it would be filled with good beer. We have a saying for public get together s here “ Bring a covered dish with something in it!”. Means a covered plate of food.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    No, he'll need that one, ………………………..or Valium.
    Keep it real. Don’t tease a good man who worked hard and with honor and continues to do so. Do not regress y’all.

16. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    I'd think that politically motivated discussions should not belong to the forum at all. The keyword should be "manufacturing", IMHO. This subforum was allowed (and stimulated) to become a waste field long ago. It promoted divisiveness and hatred instead of being a place to exchange professional ideas and approaches with the overseas colleagues.

P.S. Frankly, I doubt that there is any need to have this subforum as a separate entity at all. But I have to admit that it helped isolate certain individuals from polluting the main forums.
    I do not know for sure the history of this. Do you for sure though? What does it matter if the forum users here want this forum to improve. I hope you will be a well wisher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post

If politics didn't directly affect manufacturing (and vice versa) you might have a point. I do agree, however, that we could be a bit more civil in our interactions with each other.

19. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just my 2 cents:

I see a lot of discussion about forum posts and content (forum wide, not just in this sub forum), where the whole "freedom of speech" comes into play.
    IMO that really doesn't matter here. This isn't a government run forum where all machinists are created equal. It's a privately run forum, open to the public, that caters to a specific crowd. If the owner or his appointed mod's don't like something, they can do whatever they want because it's their prerogative to steer the discussion. If they want to censure or delete content, I'm OK with that. If my post doesn't fit in, I can change it or take it else-ware. If I can't find my grove online, I'm completely free to start my own forum, and the world would be completely free to ignore it. Anyway, I don't think anyone is trying to squelch a person's belief's or pull the wool over our eye's. We're talking about people bickering back and forth and resorting to name calling.

That said, I like the idea of keeping posts instead of deleting them so everyone can get a better idea of who said what to who and what's going on. But to be honest, there's just so much nonsense to filter through that I don't think we'd be losing much.

Look at what's going on in the Rebuilders forum. There were a few threads that became battlegrounds, people got temp-banned, and topics were closed. THEN the OP's could restart the thread posting all the content the wanted WITHOUT the mess, so the world didn't lose anything.

21. Likes Spinit, gustafson, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tend to agree. Really we are not to be taking on the whole information thing like we have written the constitution and that rowdy posters have a right to disparage others or even constantly go contrary to the whole focus of a forum and claim free speech. I disagree. In a public meeting of Congress it is silly to stand up and demand to say the opening prayer for Congress then get busy and you end up in hand cuffs, don't expect to get very far saying you were censured or that your freedom of speech was ever trespassed.

Sure lets discuss the issue we have all the time in the world. Many threads have been inactive for some time. It could be the case before a thread is deemed very contrary to forum goals that it could be that such and such thread is going to be closed immediately and then deleted in a week and so if someone wants to copy it for their own use then do it. I just will listen and discuss this issue gladly. I appreciate the reasonable feedback and discussion on either view on the issue.

23. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, to carry some snowballs home....
    On a wheeling trip years ago a couple of us took my jeep and some other 4x4's up to the sierras, maybe october or sept? can not remember anymore. Well a storm came in out of nowhere and it started raining a little on the way, no problem, jeep was on trailer. Well later it turned to snow so in the morning the tents were covered in 6" or so. Lunch time rolls around and since it was COLD (it just snowed the first snow of the season) ehere was no reason to go to icehest/ cooler to get a beer, just get from the case nearby..... frozen solid, OK there are beers inside the truck cab that were not out at night, those too were frozen solid... Usually we put food that needs to be cold in the cooler and replace it with beers as space opens up. Use the milk for cereal on morning 1 and then space for beer to cool by lunch, like that. It was only a quick weekend trip so no need for a special cooler(s) for beer like in mexico desert. I dont like beer that isn't cold so had some in cooler to be sure it was cold, well surprise surprise, those were the only beers that were drinkanble as they were kept warm in the ice in the cooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

re- censorship...it is always the censorer who sees no bias in the censoring.

another vote to close but not delete.

Ps- friggin spell check...hate it.

26. Likes neilho, Spinit liked this post