Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Spinit, My take on this is that by leaving the record, and stopping it at the first instance of personal attack, you're demonstrating what behavior we don't want (and also providing, as you say, a way for someone to appeal that call -- sort of like replay). We close threads, when discovered, that are meaningless titles (recently "F'Y'all") or inquire about ways to turn a Harbor Freight 9" lathe into a Hardinge HLV. A poster might complain (as I think is OK once or even twice), but pretty soon they either get the idea and either leave or conform.

I feel the same about editing threads. Leave the record there. We should be big enough boys and girls to live with our words and actions. But shut a thread down that's there simply to disrespect someone else or even a shotgun's blast at a group of people (all you conservatives, all you liberals . . .). That's my take. Shut it down. Explain why. Repeat as needed. 3x and you're out.

Personally, I don't like to see a dialogue where threads are mysteriously disappeared or edited to mean something else.

I disagree with not removing threads because some people are not big enough to move on. The whiners will use those closed threads to complain about anything. They will link those threads to what someone posted on here and use those closed threads for their arguments. For example you let Person X say certain words on here and they are not banned but Person Y is banned for saying the same thing. Another example will be, you closed my thread but not person Z thread. I would give warning to the people involved in a thread before deleting it. For example I would say knock the personal attacks off or I will move this thread out of the publics eye. Sometimes this worked and sometimes it turns into a long PM discussion that never ends.

On a personal note most people are reasonable on here and they respect the rules, it that small quantity of dicks they choose to piss and moan and argue all the time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the term moderator comes from the word moderation. I've seen heavy handed moderation ruin a few forums. When people take the time to post and give their opinion and then a moderator decides to censor it this leads to less people posting.
    Maybe people should take more time and read what they write before posting something that is really poor judgement. I have seen where lack of moderation drive away people who contribute to a site on a regular basis leave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    I disagree with not removing threads because some people are not big enough to move on. The whiners will use those closed threads to complain about anything. They will link those threads to what someone posted on here and use those closed threads for their arguments. For example you let Person X say certain words on here and they are not banned but Person Y is banned for saying the same thing. Another example will be, you closed my thread but not person Z thread. I would give warning to the people involved in a thread before deleting it. For example I would say knock the personal attacks off or I will move this thread out of the publics eye. Sometimes this worked and sometimes it turns into a long PM discussion that never ends.

On a personal note most people are reasonable on here and they respect the rules, it that small quantity of dicks they choose to piss and moan and argue all the time.
    Perhaps archiving Mfg in Am. and Europe as a read only forum ala the old General, and starting new with a new name such as Mfg in the 21st Century would both please the folks who want the history retained, and also signify that "That was then, this is now'" ?

I was a strong proponent of deleting the forum as it was. Now I like what I see so far in this brief period, and do think it could and should be a productive part of the site. Good luck, Moderator!

4. Likes Rob F., Spinit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Perhaps archiving Mfg in Am. and Europe as a read only forum ala the old General, and starting new with a new name such as Mfg in the 21st Century would both please the folks who want the history retained, and also signify that "That was then, this is now'" ?

I was a strong proponent of deleting the forum as it was. Now I like what I see so far in this brief period, and do think it could and should be a productive part of the site. Good luck, Moderator!
    All of this discussion is a good thing. There are the smartest people on PM and I think a lot of them come to this sub forum to present helpful information to Manufacturing. Sometimes it does tie into the many things that effect manufacturing. A healthy mix Civil to one another disagreements happen but going overboard does nothing. There are very strong and independent minded people here in this forum. The best of sharp minds post here.

My mind is helped a lot reading what is posted. I hope I get more brain power by association.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post

I would not remove the old threads, just ones that turn into pissing matches. The old threads are fine if you ask me but when someone starts spewing crap towards other members or goes on a rant then I would consider deleting those threads.

7. Likes M.B. Naegle, Spinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent T View Post
    Don't come right now! It's freaking cold outside. Come for the cheese...stay because your car won't start...
    And sausage and beer!

9. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I'm not butt hurt. But when I spend my time commenting on a post and then someone decides to censor it I'm not happy about it. I can see closing a thread but deleting it is just plain wrong.
    You are not Happy...
    Which dwarf are you?