What's new
What's new

GM to stop making internal combustion cars

Ries

Diamond
I think this is a lot more relevant to manufacturing than GameStop Stock. (my kids made me go to GameStop, in shitty malls, far too many times- I HATE the place)
GM just announced that in 14 years, it will ONLY make electric cars.
14 years in Auto Industry years is like next week in people years- its often 5 years to develop a new model- 15 years is SOON, and it means they are starting to work on vehicles and programs very soon.
This will change the face of American Manufacturing far more than a slow increase of the minimum wage to fifteen bucks an hour- over a million people work in the auto manufacturing sector. The ones who make mufflers, and fuel injectors, are in for layoffs.

General Motors to go all-electric by 2035 | Fox Business

Well, they can just go and do as John Kerry says, got and get better jobs. Maybe they can switch to programming, since according to someone who has never worked a day in their lives you can just do this, and compete against the thousands upon thousands of cheap H1B labor Biden is opening the flood gates to.

I read where it was just light-duty vehicles.
I should still be able to buy a pick up truck that runs on gas.

How-Dare-You-Greta-Thunberg-gas-door-funny-_1.jpg

They couldn't give a shit about the environment they just like the idea of replacing every car on the road.

I don't care how instant the power is, the sound and smell of electric motors doesn't give me a hard on

How much metal cutting and manufacturing goes into a ICE powertrain versa an electric vehicle and how big worldwide is this market today?
This is miles bigger than oil or aerospace in metal cutting.
Ouch.

I think this is a lot more relevant to manufacturing than GameStop Stock. (my kids made me go to GameStop, in shitty malls, far too many times- I HATE the place)
14 years in Auto Industry years is like next week in people years- its often 5 years to develop a new model- 15 years is SOON, and it means they are starting to work on vehicles and programs very soon.
This will change the face of American Manufacturing far more than a slow increase of the minimum wage to fifteen bucks an hour- over a million people work in the auto manufacturing sector. The ones who make mufflers, and fuel injectors, are in for layoffs.

As someone that has actually worked for GM I can tell you that they have been working on this for years.

I read where it was just light-duty vehicles.
I should still be able to buy a pick up truck that runs on gas.

View attachment 312106

From the Fox link- "The 2035 goal applies to cars and light-duty trucks, with heavy and medium-duty trucks following by 2040."

Its my understanding that half ton pickups are "light-duty". And they are the big sellers. GM has long since given up semis, although they do sell a few cab forwards. Not sure if they actually make them, though.
Anyway, anything over 1 ton may, indeed, stay diesel for a while, but in numbers sold, they are negligible.

As someone that has actually worked for GM I can tell you that they have been working on this for years.

so is this something they have been planning for years? or is it a genuine change in their plans for production?
I mean, I know they made the ol' EV-1 as long ago as 1996, which, of course, counts as "working on it", but it was hardly as serious as saying that every half ton pickup they make will be electric.

so is this something they have been planning for years? or is it a genuine change in their plans for production?
I mean, I know they made the ol' EV-1 as long ago as 1996, which, of course, counts as "working on it", but it was hardly as serious as saying that every half ton pickup they make will be electric.

Yes they have been working on it as early as the mid 80’s when I went to work there. It just a continuing change in technology starting from the first car made. The people that have posted here must be descended from the people that were yelling “get a horse” over a hundred years ago.

Well GM needs 15 years to transition to a point where Tesla is already at.

As far muffler and injector manufacturing goes...oh well.

But how will all the redknecks show off with out their 8" diameter exhausts rolling coal?

Simple...The Soveriegn Nation Of Texas will recognize the Redneck party. People will visit to experience refinery tours, unlimited wood/charcoal preparation of meat and actual display of the American flag. Hell, can't wait to visit.

From the Fox link- "The 2035 goal applies to cars and light-duty trucks, with heavy and medium-duty trucks following by 2040."

Its my understanding that half ton pickups are "light-duty". And they are the big sellers. GM has long since given up semis, although they do sell a few cab forwards. Not sure if they actually make them, though.
Anyway, anything over 1 ton may, indeed, stay diesel for a while, but in numbers sold, they are negligible.

However, there are still many who do not want an electric car or truck and they will simply buy from the competition (unless IC cars are outlawed). I suspect the 2035 and 2040 goals are largely based on technology that has yet to be invented, as electric cars in their present state are still not suitable for those whose circumstances do not allow easy access to charging.

One of my neighbors has a Model 3 and they would not have bought it without the ability to charge in their home garage. I now know several people who own Model 3s and like them but all are high-income professionals who own their own homes. They also all have at least one IC-engined vehicle in the household, usually a minivan or SUV. Before lower income apartment dwellers widely adopt electrics there will not only have to be much better charging infrastructure but also a market in affordable used electrics. Right now many of the lower income workers are driving IC cars that are 2000 vintage and older because that is what they can afford.

However, there are still many who do not want an electric car or truck and they will simply buy from the competition (unless IC cars are outlawed). I suspect the 2035 and 2040 goals are largely based on technology that has yet to be invented, as electric cars in their present state are still not suitable for those whose circumstances do not allow easy access to charging.

One of my neighbors has a Model 3 and they would not have bought it without the ability to charge in their home garage. I now know several people who own Model 3s and like them but all are high-income professionals who own their own homes. Before lower income apartment dwellers widely adopt electrics there will not only have to be much better charging infrastructure but also a market in affordable used electrics. Right now many of the lower income workers are driving IC cars that are 2000 vintage and older because that is what they can afford.

In 15 years the common citizen will only have a fond memory of owning anything unless the local party boss
approves.

GM producing no IC, is not gonna happen. The truth is the powers that be don't want you to have a vehicle at all. Floating this idea of all electric vehicles is idiotic. Some questions, can the grid handle the extra demand, NO. How is the power gonna be generated to supply the chargers. Electric vehicles are to limited in there use. Where is the material coming from to produce theses batteries. There not green. The life cycle of EV compared to IC vehicles produces more toxins than IC. These cars are produced at a loss and wouldn't be possible without government subsidies.
The lies and deceptions were feed theses days is unbelievable. On a side not GM stock did rise right after this announcement.

GM, like any other manufacturer will make whatever they can sell. I take their latest statement with a grain of salt. Under no circumstances will electric vehicles sell more than recip powered ones until batteries exhibit the same energy density, refueling speed and cost that recips offer. When they advertise range, it is never with the heater or AC on is it. People are not that stupid.

Well, I’ve fought the good fight.
I imagine in 20 year I won’t much give a fuck anymore.
Time to pass the mantle.

Remember, there are NO half ton pickups sold by the big 3 in the USA with manual trannys, nor have there been for several years. You can still get a manual in larger capacity trucks, although a lot of the GM trucks over 1 ton that are sold have 10 speed slushboxes.

Which is to say- the market is already choosing things that are different from my first truck, a 54 GMC.

two years ago, my wife bought a small, cheap, electric car, I dutifully installed a 40 amp 220 volt charger, and she never goes to the gas station.
For a lot of people, this is no big deal.

I still drive an F150 with a V8, and at my age, may not buy another truck- but if I did, and an electric one had a range of 300 miles or so, I would not hesitate.
Quiet, fast, basically awd. They say the electric F150 is coming out this year.

GM, like any other manufacturer will make whatever they can sell. I take their latest statement with a grain of salt. Under no circumstances will electric vehicles sell more than recip powered ones until batteries exhibit the same energy density, refueling speed and cost that recips offer. When they advertise range, it is never with the heater or AC on is it. People are not that stupid.

I suspect that the GM announcement is sort of playing to the current political wind. I suspect that they are wisely hedging their bets as they are still going ahead with new engine lines and plans.

Another thing that was also in the announcement was that they were doing a joint venture with Navistar to supply them with fuel cells for the heavy truck industry. The fuel cell technology has been in development for a couple of decades. The current fuel cell technology will be about 60% efficient vs to 30-35% efficiency of ICE and the big thing is that gasoline can be used as the fuel source.

This would allow GM to build/sell cars as only plug-in electric or stand alone electrics still able to utilize a current common fuel source.

Combine the fuel cell with current Li-ion battery technology and you could potentially end up with something that truly could displace the ICE powered vehicles. This would also not require a change in infrastructure to make market acceptable.

Note that this is not technically zero CO2 emissions but it automatically reduces the current CO2 level by half. It should also be noted that even a full battery powered vehicle is not truly zero emissions unless all of the grid energy is sourced from zero CO2 energy sources which is a significant challenge. This means the CO2 foot print would be approx equal.

The current fuel cell technology can also be applied to current diesel designs to significantly lower emissions and also to supplement the engine hp output increasing overall engine fuel efficiency dramatically and still use diesel fuel.

Back