GM to stop making internal combustion cars - Page 12
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    This afternoon I saw 2 people stranded on the roadside. It was over 100 degrees at the time. Take a guess at what they were driving... Tesla. About 40 minute later I was coming back from my from my brief trip to the hardware store and I noticed that they were just about getting towed.

When you spend that much to save the planet, you better not get stuck on the more desolate lengths of HWY 50.
    No different than running out of gas in a gasoline powered car. You need to make sure that you have fuel for the trip or you will be on the side of the road. It makes no difference if the car is gasoline powered or electric. This was taught in drivers education for 15 year olds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Well having it so very good we usually have wondered why you then persist in complaining about the United States like you do. I know that this is not a pastime for most Australians as I have met several right here who visit Florida. Many even have moved here and become citizens. When I see most of your posts it reminds me of those who like yourself are of a special mindset.

Now that y’all have everything under control down under then you should take it world wide. Your self and the Professor can set sail tomorrow. We have a bet on which one of you will dominate on the trip and I bet on you John. You have a much better character than the Professor anyway as the things which you post like this last one can actually be taken as a positive statement.

Never have disliked Australia or Australians and it is on the bucket list to visit one day. It seems to be well run if it is as you describe. Perhaps y’all would take some of our Democrats over there and reprogram them and send them back to us healed and more like you. “What a wonderful wonderful world it would be”. As sung by Paul Simon.

I post this not just for you guys but to impress your beautiful downtrodden women folk. Y’all play too smart for them to love you but hey it is a ego thing I guess. Just try playing dumb- it should not be very hard.

Wonderful World;
    What a wonderful world - James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkel W_ Lyrics.wmv - YouTube
    Once again your reading comprehension is lacking. He said that Australia has free health care. I don't think sending Democrats to Australia to learn about free health care is needed when the republicons are the ones that insist on our profit driven health care industry.

Please try to keep up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back when some gas company had high "sulphur"? in the fuel that was messing up the fuel quantity sensors, I ran a 91 BMW out of fuel on the interstate with the gauge still reading 25%. I coasted to the exit, made the corner and it stopped 30 feet from the pump. Using the starter in 2nd gear I made it slightly up hill to the pump. You don't get many saves like that.

4. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laminar-flow View Post
    In the Pacific Northwest on the Olympic Peninsula, a well insulated house with no windows on the west side can get by without AC. Our house is a high thermal mass passive solar house with perimeter wing insulation and most windows on the south and none on the west. With the south facing windows, we get no sun in the house for a month on either side of the summer solstice. Around the winter solstice, the sun goes deep into the house. My shop is connected to the house and built and insulated the same, but I could not resist a few windows on the east. With well insulated high thermal mass it is very stable in temperature throughout the year. We have hydronic tubing deep under the slab that is heated by the solar water heater after it satisfies the domestic tank, but this is only a small amount of energy. Today will be the hottest day forecast to be 93. The house and shop will stay under 80 with no AC. The coldest we have seen in the shop is 65.

Regarding the CNC machines, we leave them on E-stop all the time as we have had a mocon error that only occurs if we leave them off for weekend. Any ideas? Haas rep told me that they have less electronic problems on machines that are left on. Why I don't know the draw on the machines on E-Stop, it can't be much as nothing gets very warm. Even when running they just don't use much power, at least machining the parts I do. I should get a current meter and check.

Why would humidity be an issue? Humidity in my shop stays about 40 to 60%.

We use the electric car every day and it uses about $18 per month of electricity to charge. This is only slightly more than the $150 per year we have to pay in road use taxes to WA state.
    I guess it depends on where you live. Humidity in this area along with high temps create a heat index which at best is extremely uncomfortable and at worst very dangerous for certain people. People living in say Chicago or Milwaukee who seal up their living quarters without AC create a very dangerous situation.

In the building where I lease space there is no central AC but individual shops will have areas with AC.
    The really high humidity causes flash rust. Applying paint coating can be a challenge especially with some two part products. It's critical to make sure cooling fans and such on electrical controls is in top form.

Obviously a lot depends where you live with some areas offering great challenges in dealing with temp and other conditions.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    To have a cultural revolution you have to have a culture first.

Just sayin'

At a cost of as many as two million people killed I guess the previous culture must have really sucked to force change.

Just sayin'

7. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gwelo62 View Post
    Is there enough lithium to replace oil.? Pumping oil is cleaner than mining lithium,cobalt etc. Where are the green folks on this?
    A lot of the new battery research does not use lithium.
    The japanese are working on Sodium Ion batteries, for example. As are US companies, supported by the feds (DARPA)
    Full Page Reload

And solid state battery research is having billions invested in it, globally- some of which use lithium, but which have longer lifespans, some of which are things like aluminum ion batteries.

Its pretty safe to say that 10 to 20 years from now, we will not be relying solely on lithium.

9. Likes Bobw, Screwmachine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    At a cost of as many as two million people killed I guess the previous culture must have really sucked to force change.
    I don't know about "sucked" exactly but yes. Its time came and went. A hundred years of chaos and foreign domination (with Britain pushing drug addiction at gunpoint) was not exactly the recipe for a future happy life.

Kinda like the Plains Indians would not do well under current conditions.

Should I link to the Byrds, or can you find it on your own ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not too long ago building an EV was not all that attractive....

Back in the day (7 years ago)........"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne has a request for potential buyers of the automaker’s Fiat 500e electric car: Don’t buy it. He’s tired of losing money."

“I will sell the (minimum) of what I need to sell and not one more,” Marchionne said of the 500e."

7 years in the auto industry is a long time. Was sitting having a drink back then with a Chrysler manager and we both laughed at Marchionne's candor. Marchionne is dead and now every exec in the auto industry is "committed" to EV's.

EV's are the future but no too long ago maybe not so much.....MAY 21, 2014 UPDATED 7 YEARS AGO

Fiat Chrysler CEO: Please don'''t buy Fiat 500e electric car | Reuters

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Wow

How stupid are you?
    really?

oil is a consumable

lithium is not

one must constantly explore, drill, and pollute to use petroleum

lithium is essentially one time

you use more oil in your oil changes than you use lithium

and by the way, last I checked, there is enough lithium to build a billion cars or something

not including recycling

you cannot recycle petroleum that has been burned

the stupid out there is just stunning
    But how much silver is there? How much copper?

Don't put too much stock into what a company like GM is doing. They are "too big to fail" (ei: friends with the Fed bankers) and don't need to make any money. Pushing the agenda of those who imagine money into existence is far more profitable than making something of value could ever be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne has a request for potential buyers of the automaker’s Fiat 500e electric car: Don’t buy it. He’s tired of losing money."

“I will sell the (minimum) of what I need to sell and not one more,” Marchionne said of the 500e."
    I want one. Only 100 mile range when new. Dirt cheap, and fun to drive. For something to just zip
    into town or go to work, it would be pretty sweet. No need to take my truck in to the eye doctors,
    my eyes aren't so bad that I need the hauling capacity to bring back a pair of glasses. And its
    more than capable of hauling a case of beer or some groceries.

Just running back and forth the to the shop, cost about $2 round trip instead of $20+ in my truck.

Like having a bike you don't have to pedal, and depending on how snobby you are with your bikes,
    it could be cheaper.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    I want one. Only 100 mile range when new. Dirt cheap, and fun to drive. For something to just zip
    into town or go to work, it would be pretty sweet. No need to take my truck in to the eye doctors,
    my eyes aren't so bad that I need the hauling capacity to bring back a pair of glasses. And its
    more than capable of hauling a case of beer or some groceries.

Just running back and forth the to the shop, cost about $2 round trip instead of $20+ in my truck.

Like having a bike you don't have to pedal, and depending on how snobby you are with your bikes,
    it could be cheaper.
    Yes....and in your location, you can afford to plaster the entire roof with
    solar panels, thereby extending the range.

15. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    No different than running out of gas in a gasoline powered car. You need to make sure that you have fuel for the trip or you will be on the side of the road. It makes no difference if the car is gasoline powered or electric. This was taught in drivers education for 15 year olds.
    Let's not assume that they forgot to charge their tesla. I would like to know how many Teslas have needed a tow.

Aside from that, EV's are very interesting, but I still want to wait and see, besides, EVs may not be the answer. Toyota is keeping quite on their hydrogen power, I need at least 5-10 years to make a decision.

Meanwhile, my FJ Cruiser is the only way to travel for me, despite it's thirsty fuel consumption.

17. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Yes....and in your location, you can afford to plaster the entire roof with
    solar panels, thereby extending the range.
    The electric version of the Fiat 500 is already pretty heavy. 2900lbs vs 2300lbs in the gas version,
    and its got a pretty big frontal area, which makes the mileage go way down at high speeds..
    I don't think adding solar panels on the roof would be a good idea.

Now if they were built into the roof. That's a different story, but then they wouldn't be dirt cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhov View Post
    But how much silver is there? How much copper?

Don't put too much stock into what a company like GM is doing. They are "too big to fail" (ei: friends with the Fed bankers) and don't need to make any money. Pushing the agenda of those who imagine money into existence is far more profitable than making something of value could ever be.
    Your graph is utter bullshit

why don't you explain why?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Your graph is utter bullshit

why don't you explain why?
    Every future projection has some amount of bullshit in it. But I think it would be far more entertaining to have you spell it out for us. So please, how many ways can you call me stupid in one post? Surly you can do better than just two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The graph assumes Zero recycling.
    In reality, most metals are not single use.
    Steel, for example- in the US, somewhere around 90% is recycled.
    Or Gold- do you really think all the gold that is mined is used once, and then its "gone"?
    Close to 95% of gold products get recycled.

Also, consumption rates, both per capita, and in total globally, are not static.
    Innovations, new materials, and substitutions, have been changing consumption rates for hundreds of years- If you had done a chart like this in the 1860s, for example, we would all have our panties in a wad because we were going to run out of whale oil, and have nothing to run our lamps on. But, somehow, we evolved alternative technologies...

22. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not too long ago building an EV was not all that attractive....
    Not that long ago everyone sneered at Apple for getting into telephones.

Things change.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    The graph assumes Zero recycling.
    In reality, most metals are not single use.
    Steel, for example- in the US, somewhere around 90% is recycled.
    Or Gold- do you really think all the gold that is mined is used once, and then its "gone"?
    Close to 95% of gold products get recycled.

Also, consumption rates, both per capita, and in total globally, are not static.
    Innovations, new materials, and substitutions, have been changing consumption rates for hundreds of years- If you had done a chart like this in the 1860s, for example, we would all have our panties in a wad because we were going to run out of whale oil, and have nothing to run our lamps on. But, somehow, we evolved alternative technologies...
    This is the most obvious fault with the graph. However, most silver is used in such small quantities that it is not recycled. Granted, as supplies dwindle and prices rise, more recycling will take place. Also, anyone with grandmas sterling silver flatware will cash in eventually. And eventually we'll be digging through land fills to dig out old electronics for their silver and copper, but it is not yet economically viable to do so and when it is, the price of these metals will be at least an order of magnitude, if not several, more expensive.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Not that long ago everyone sneered at Apple for getting into telephones.

Things change.
    Most probably Steve Jobs gave two flocks about what people thought, while the EV was somewhat forced on Fiat/Chysler who gave two flocks about electric vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    Let's not assume that they forgot to charge their tesla. I would like to know how many Teslas have needed a tow.

Aside from that, EV's are very interesting, but I still want to wait and see, besides, EVs may not be the answer. Toyota is keeping quite on their hydrogen power, I need at least 5-10 years to make a decision.

Meanwhile, my FJ Cruiser is the only way to travel for me, despite it's thirsty fuel consumption.
    I spent a week in Scottsdale this winter and then another three days there. Went all over the greater Phoenix area and saw literally hundreds of Tesla's and didn't see a single one on the side of the road broke down. There aren't many moving parts in an electric motor.