What's new
What's new

Greenland - for sale? LOL

Greenland seems to be in the news at the moment. Maybe useful getting a few facts in place.

Denmark - Wikipedia

Denmark couldn’t sell Greenland no matter what. Greenland, if a majority in Greenland voted for independence, could become an independent country.

Let’s imagine an independent Greenland wanted to be part of the USA would it be as a 51st state or as Puerto Rico?

The whole idea is as plausible as swapping Greenland for Alaska. Maybe the USA can sell Alaska to Canada to raise the cash?

Long story short. It’s going to be a very interesting visit next month when Trump is in Denmark.

Greenland: Trump warned that island cannot be bought from Denmark - BBC News

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Interesting proposal. Greenland would not like the kind of system the US has. Healthcare and the benefits of the services which are provided by government are very stable and good.

That area has always been strategic because of the Soviet Navy uses the area for access to the Atlantic.

It is not for sale and the people there have a choice here as they should not be just bought. I am sure that is understood.

It is surprising how large Africa is. Isn’t Antartica even larger?

Here's a link which shows the actual scale of Greenland. Because maps are very distorted, Greenland is only a fraction of the actual size it is portrayed
Size does matter: Authagraph World Map turns the Earth into a rectangle using tetrahedrons

Also, here's what is taken as being the most accurate size for size world map (the Authagraph).
I didn't quite realise how big Africa actually is...

.. or Brazil.

Proximity to the Equator and either side of it - or NOT - as makes the classical schoolroom-wall "cylindrical" Mercator projection useless.

Artillerists used Lambert conformal for Donkey's Years. A fine-granularity series of conical projections, not cylindrical. Have to know where the desired impact zone actually IS, after all.

Then again, all it ever needed was any reasonably accurate GLOBE, yah? Those are cheap enuf, these satellite and GPS-mapped days.

Even to tracking the lumps of our imperfect sphere and the inches and fractions of imbalance of seawater levels due to thermal effects of an "el nino" or its absence.

Greenland's "value" has more to do with location than size, of course.

2CW

I wonder what the role of the EU would be in this instance. Seems they would weigh in one way or the other or already are doing so now.

I just read Greenland exited the EU years ago. Is this still the case?

Without even bothering to look... more gain than pain to be OUTSIDE EU fisheries coverage alone.

Fewer than a thousand families, long coastline and covered waters they'd be better-off keeping negotiable rights to.

UK, once out, similar gain upon restoral of an historical advantage.

It is surprising how large Africa is. Isn’t Antartica even larger?

It ain't SMALL.. but two things..

First, the ice sheets mask the size AND location and layout of the actual land under them. See "Piri Reis map" mystery and early penetrating radar mapping that gave it "apparent" credence. Cue Graham Hancock.

Or simply this:

Piri Reis map - Wikipedia

That could be pure BS luck as easily as ancient peoples or ancient-astronaut conspiracy theory, IMNSHO.

Been "dealt with" as even more modern technology, yet, has mapped it rather well by now- even as to ancient celestial-body impact craters. Or they were once."Celestial", that is.

Same for Greenland, BTW. Ancient impact craters now detectable. Also that it is rising UP in elevation as the mass of ice over it has thinned.

Second, the schoolroom wall Mercator projection usually doesn't much SHOW the polar areas. The distortion would be FAR too great as to OVER sizing, not under.

Would somebody help me please. There is an expression,"It goes round,it comes round". What does that mean?
Please do not reply in Danish,I do not have a translator.

No fear. The expression apparently HAS NO Danish equivalent to begin with.

Scot's Gael sure as Hell does. May as well have invented it, had they not stolen it from the Irish out of simple Scot's frugality.

Why d'you think he fled?

Here's a link which shows the actual scale of Greenland. Because maps are very distorted, Greenland is only a fraction of the actual size it is portrayed
Size does matter: Authagraph World Map turns the Earth into a rectangle using tetrahedrons

Also, here's what is taken as being the most accurate size for size world map (the Authagraph).
I didn't quite realize how big Africa actually is...

Thanks for that but still the maps are confusing
Greenland is a little larger than 1/4 the size of mainland USA
I don't think they would vote to become a state.
We could invade and take it in about two weeks but the rest of the world would not like that.
With continued global warming it might turn into a nice vacation place.
With cow farts much the blame for global warming seal meat could fill that bill, people would just have to get used to the new taste.
I suspect there is a lot of gold under the glaciers so that would likely pay us back if they sold it to us. Plus oil, natural gas and all the other likely resources.

Qt Gordon: Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam,... likely Spam tastes better than seal meat, but Im not sure as I have never tasted seal meat. I would try it if I could find it in Ontario.
Used to be only limited flight to Greenland that were from Toronto. Not any or hardly any from the USA.

hunting on greenland - Yahoo Image Search Results

But if they don't like you its a gig in the back
hunting on greenland - Yahoo Image Search Results

Trump might want to take over Greenland. Then he could show global warming is a fraud. Once Greenland is part of the USA the average temperature in the USA will go down.
Bill D

Great :) this is my kinda party guys, ……..when are the strippers on?

Depends on what you have to offer in the way of good DNA and good financial means. I kid you not. I've "had the invitation to sire", Reyjavik. For procreation, "recreation" secondary. If at all. As it might not have been. A bit too cold-blooded on the deal to suit me.

Small gene pool. They know that. They are pragmatic about it.

Back