Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    Law professor? Where was that?

The most critical factor that would militate against her being nominated, even if she wanted to run, would be the fact that she is not far enough left. The democrats at this time are bordering on falling off of the spectrum to the left.
    Mrs. Obama is a graduate of Princeton and Harvard Law School. She worked for a prestigious firm in Chicago. As for teaching law, I've heard she did some, maybe as a visiting professor. Then too, I might have confused her credentials with those of Elizabeth Warren. I'm old, it happens a lot.

You're right, though. She is not a true leftie. She would run a centrist campaign which would guarantee Trump's reelection. Democrats have to engage with progressives if they are to have any chance of winning, especially by courting young voters.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The country needs someone near center.
    This seesawing is wearing everyone out.
    We have core issues which need addressed to the benefit of both sides.

A few years of everyone rowing the boat towards the same shore wouldn’t hurt anyone..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Peguy View Post
    I think you have the right end of the stick. There are those among us who feel that Trump is unfit to serve as President. I won't go into the several reasons I hold this belief. He is under attack, though, and rightfully so. Again, it would take a long post to explain why. I think if they are honest, most people already know why.

In the end, I do have little patience with those who blindly support everything Trump says and does, when most of his statements are obviously and demonstrably false. Even cursory investigation of his claims will reveal that he is a pathological liar. In an official capacity he is causing great harm in several ways.

It is the deliberately "brain dead" who elected Trump. Others are well-meaning, I guess, but just don't have the snap to figure out they have been sold a bill of goods.

Opinions vary. I guess the big difference is that while many of us who voted for Trump can understand why others went for Hillary or supported Bernie, you refuse to show us the same courtesy.

I don't think those who support Hillary or Bernie are brain dead, the insult you label us with, but I do think it is yourselves that were "sold a bill of goods".

As I said, opinions vary, as do expectations of what we want and expect from government. While many think it's fine and proper for Supreme Court justices to find things that are not in the Constitution (essentially making law instead of reviewing it) others of us want them to adhere to the Constitution and leave law making to the elected legislature who can be replaced if enough people don't like their laws.

Similarly many of us don't like submerging U.S. sovereignty to international bodies and are glad we have a President willing to shake things up. Are there things we don't like about him? Absolutely, but overall I think we are slowly getting much of what we asked for although at a pace we wish were faster and I can't think of a single past President or any other elected official for that matter who did not have some flaws.

Our support is far from blind. Although there are some who DO seem to have an almost cult like admiration for him I think most of us simply support him because he is going more in our direction than not.

Opinions vary, especially political ones. During eight years of Obama many of us felt things were going wrong but we endured and waited for a chance to elect someone else. That's our system, and in any presidential election roughly half the people are going to be disappointed and perhaps none too pleased with the next four years.

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks;3408967A
    few years of everyone rowing the boat towards the same shore wouldn’t hurt anyone..
    The problem is ... WHO gets to decide which shore? As I said, people want different things from government and some differences are irreconcilable.

4. Likes digger doug, CAMasochism liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Opinions vary. I guess the big difference is that while many of us who voted for Trump can understand why others went for Hillary or supported Bernie, you refuse to show us the same courtesy.

I don't think those who support Hillary or Bernie are brain dead, the insult you label us with, but I do think it is yourselves that were "sold a bill of goods".

As I said, opinions vary, as do expectations of what we want and expect from government. While many think it's fine and proper for Supreme Court justices to find things that are not in the Constitution (essentially making law instead of reviewing it) others of us want them to adhere to the Constitution and leave law making to the elected legislature who can be replaced if enough people don't like their laws.

Similarly many of us don't like submerging U.S. sovereignty to international bodies and are glad we have a President willing to shake things up. Are there things we don't like about him? Absolutely, but overall I think we are slowly getting much of what we asked for although at a pace we wish were faster and I can't think of a single past President or any other elected official for that matter who did not have some flaws.

Our support is far from blind. Although there are some who DO seem to have an almost cult like admiration for him I think most of us simply support him because he is going more in our direction than not.

Opinions vary, especially political ones. During eight years of Obama many of us felt things were going wrong but we endured and waited for a chance to elect someone else. That's our system, and in any presidential election roughly half the people are going to be disappointed and perhaps none too pleased with the next four years.

The problem is ... WHO gets to decide which shore? As I said, people want different things from government and some differences are irreconcilable.
    I think you are absolutely right about one thing - some differences are irreconcilable. I'm a lifelong leftie and there are those on BOTH the left and right I simply cannot abide. Reasonable discussion becomes impossible with them.

BTW, I don't think that everyone who supports Trump is "brain dead". Seems to me that many of them are more than a little dogmatic in their beliefs, but the same can be said for lefties too.

6. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    What lost to judges who go by what the constitution says rather than their political beliefs? Judges who refuse to hear cases because they know they have no legal ground and will be forced back on?

Cry all you want. Justice will move on.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...?noredirect=on
    Serious question: Do you know that the article you linked to is an opinion piece?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    Serious question: Do you know that the article you linked to is an opinion piece?
    Same said for every single hit piece from Paint Huffer Post saying that suddenly the Supreme Court is in dire peril because it isn't loaded with regressives.

If RBG really cared about having another liberal judge she would have retired at any point Obama was in office.

9. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    Aren't they all?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aren't they all?
    But it's not the right opinion.

I mean I did at least find one from one of the usual lefty rags that tends to be considered "credible", rather than my usual RIGHT WING NAZI FASCIST HATEMONGER HOMOPHOBE ISLAMAPHOBE PHOBEPHOBE sites. You know one of the 3 conservative news sites?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Considering the tone of many of the comments wonder if anyone out there considers that some of the companies who advertise here have experienced any collateral damage based on the possibility that some may take offense target the source of revenue for this site?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    Considering the tone of many of the comments wonder if anyone out there considers that some of the companies who advertise here have experienced any collateral damage based on the possibility that some may take offense target the source of revenue for this site?
    While it may be lively, under Hanermo it doesn't seem to have sunk to the level previously seen on this subforum. Not only did back and forth commentary get vicious but many times entire threads weren't just locked but scrubbed completely. This almost always seemed to happen at night when I was not following it so I can only assume that things got so out of control that the only way to prevent their display was to delete all posts.

14. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just spend my Summers there.

Thank you for joining Practical Machinist just last month so you could enthrall us with your opinions of Trump. I'm sure you'll add to the collective knowledge of machining and machinery

The candidate you've put forward as teaching law and working for prestigious law firms---resigned her license to practice the law, as did her husband. So that they could "avoid a requirement to take continuing education classes and pay hundreds of dollars in annual fees".

That screams of servitude and dedication to the law. I mean, who can afford "hundreds of dollars of annual fees" when you have a 15 million dollar beach house to pay off? Not to mention the swanky place in DC they own (that they had a wall built around).

Truly selfless, they are.

I'm hoping you're still around come late 2020. Your tears will be delicious when 'orange man bad' wins again.

The Obamas' Law Licenses - FactCheck.org

Obama building a wall around his new DC house

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kathlee.../#3afa7bc55300

16. Likes digger doug, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While it may be lively, under Hanermo it doesn't seem to have sunk to the level previously seen on this subforum. Not only did back and forth commentary get vicious but many times entire threads weren't just locked but scrubbed completely. This almost always seemed to happen at night when I was not following it so I can only assume that things got so out of control that the only way to prevent their display was to delete all posts.
    I wish we knew when posts were deleted so we had an idea as to who the sinners were. I might even be one as I don't go back to see if any post I've written has been deleted.

Even better if a reason was given for "deletement". NR (not relevant), too personal, too provocative etc.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr 98 View Post
    Thank you for joining Practical Machinist just last month so you could enthrall us with your opinions of Trump. I'm sure you'll add to the collective knowledge of machining and machinery.
    Hmmm. If you'd taken your own advice you'd have stopped there.

19. Likes Charles Peguy liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr 98 View Post
    Thank you for joining Practical Machinist just last month so you could enthrall us with your opinions of Trump. I'm sure you'll add to the collective knowledge of machining and machinery

The candidate you've put forward as teaching law and working for prestigious law firms---resigned her license to practice the law, as did her husband. So that they could "avoid a requirement to take continuing education classes and pay hundreds of dollars in annual fees".

That screams of servitude and dedication to the law. I mean, who can afford "hundreds of dollars of annual fees" when you have a 15 million dollar beach house to pay off? Not to mention the swanky place in DC they own (that they had a wall built around).

Truly selfless, they are.

I'm hoping you're still around come late 2020. Your tears will be delicious when 'orange man bad' wins again.

The Obamas' Law Licenses - FactCheck.org

Obama building a wall around his new DC house

Barack And Michelle Obama Are Buying Martha's Vineyard Estate From Boston Celtics Owner
    Seriously? Did your father drop you on your head when you were an infant?

21. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I wish we knew when posts were deleted so we had an idea as to who the sinners were. I might even be one as I don't go back to see if any post I've written has been deleted.
    deleted posts = over moderation. Make rules, encourage, direct, scold, ban..... but don not edit or delete posts.

23. Likes PeteM liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting .. the bank pays interest instead of the buyer paying the interest…That is a good idea because if the taxpayers have any money left the freeloaders or the fat cat would enjoy spending it. would enjoy spending it.

Americans are trying to get Denmark'''s negative mortgages
    If we could just get the Danes to pay 10% more in taxes, and then get out hands on the money…perhaps pay for free USA health care with it.
    Not picking on you Gordon ..I just think so many things about the world seem dumb. Nothing is really free but people think it is. Even the air is not free..clean air cost money.

Guess it would be good if Denmark paid us to make Greenland a USA state.

US new car deals with zero interest...and people think it is free interest when the interest is added to the price..so one pays sales tax on the amount..people are gullible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some politicians just need to be just ‘given enough rope’.
    Others bring their own rope.
    And tree.
    And step ladder......

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    deleted posts = over moderation. Make rules, encourage, direct, scold, ban..... but don not edit or delete posts.
    Things seem to have improved lately and I'm wondering why. Maybe there is such a thing as miracles.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Nothing is really free but people think it is. Even the air is not free..clean air cost money.
    What was the air like before people had money?

I can think of a few places where the air is clean but almost nobody lives there.

It's getting tiresome but Denmark doesn't "own" Greenland so can't sell it. Could the USA sell Costa Rico?

If Greenland somehow became a state Texas would become the third largest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mrs. Obama is a graduate of Princeton and Harvard Law School. She worked for a prestigious firm in Chicago. As for teaching law, I've heard she did some, maybe as a visiting professor. Then too, I might have confused her credentials with those of Elizabeth Warren. I'm old, it happens a lot.

You're right, though. She is not a true leftie. She would run a centrist campaign which would guarantee Trump's reelection. Democrats have to engage with progressives if they are to have any chance of winning, especially by courting young voters.

'In 1996, Obama served as the Associate Dean of Student Services at the University of Chicago, where she developed the University's Community Service Center" ( per Wikipedia )

I think that this whole issue of whether to purchase Greenland or not probably started out in the Oval Office during a discussion of Greenland in general. Someone, in jest, might have said "Hey, why not buy Greenland? LOL". From that we get two weeks of newsprint and posts critical of Donald Trump's "Firm proposal" to buy the place when no one even knows whether it was a joke.

There has never been such a level of criticism of any president since the start of the Republic. If Trump takes a dump in the morning, someone or some media agency would be critical of it and the way that it was performed.

Therefore, this entire thread and any discussion of whether or not to purchase Greenland is a complete and total waste of time and bandwidth. I'm just sayin'.