Greenland - for sale? LOL - Page 42
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 929
  1. #821
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland- USA
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1929
    Likes (Received)
    2130

    Default

    ‘I have the biggest criticism.’

    Not taking sides but where have you been living for the last 50 years.
    And the irony here is that the leader of the movement to invalidate the last administration is making this claim.

    Why is the nation still embroiled in such decisive rhetoric.

    Fair question but if you want honest dialogue provide an honest account.

    None like hypocrisy.
    If a person is not an honest broker they are the cause not a solution.

  2. #822
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Posts
    473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    362
    Likes (Received)
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    '
    There has never been such a level of criticism of any president since the start of the Republic.
    Can you think of one more deserving of it? There is a reason for all that criticism.

  3. Likes bucktruck liked this post
  4. #823
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4414
    Likes (Received)
    4302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    'In 1996, Obama served as the Associate Dean of Student Services at the University of Chicago, where she developed the University's Community Service Center" ( per Wikipedia )

    I think that this whole issue of whether to purchase Greenland or not probably started out in the Oval Office during a discussion of Greenland in general. Someone, in jest, might have said "Hey, why not buy Greenland? LOL". From that we get two weeks of newsprint and posts critical of Donald Trump's "Firm proposal" to buy the place when no one even knows whether it was a joke.

    There has never been such a level of criticism of any president since the start of the Republic. If Trump takes a dump in the morning, someone or some media agency would be critical of it and the way that it was performed.

    Therefore, this entire thread and any discussion of whether or not to purchase Greenland is a complete and total waste of time and bandwidth. I'm just sayin'.


    Actually, historians say Abraham Lincoln was the most despised President . During his administration he was derided not only by Southerners but by many Northerners as well. He was called a baboon, an ignorant clod, an incompetent hick, and many other things. Much of the criticism came from "his own party".

    After the fact we look back and admire him as the man who held the nation together during the most difficult time in its history as a nation. Had he lived, his intent was to forgive and accept the former rebels as brothers, "binding the nation's wounds". Had he lived to do so much of our unpleasant history likely wouldn't have occurred.

  5. #824
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NoCal
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    428
    Likes (Received)
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Actually, historians say Abraham Lincoln was the most despised President . During his administration he was derided not only by Southerners but by many Northerners as well. He was called a baboon, an ignorant clod, an incompetent hick, and many other things. Much of the criticism came from "his own party".

    After the fact we look back and admire him as the man who held the nation together during the most difficult time in its history as a nation. Had he lived, his intent was to forgive and accept the former rebels as brothers, "binding the nation's wounds". Had he lived to do so much of our unpleasant history likely wouldn't have occurred.
    I really hope this isn't an attempt to liken Trump to Lincoln.

  6. #825
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4414
    Likes (Received)
    4302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    I really hope this isn't an attempt to liken Trump to Lincoln.
    No, it's simply pointing out that Trump is not the most criticized President in history.

  7. #826
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    57
    Likes (Received)
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    I really hope this isn't an attempt to liken Trump to Lincoln.
    Well, both do like their tariffs which hurt southern farmers.

    Oh! and both are despised by Democrats!

  8. Likes bucktruck liked this post
  9. #827
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,464
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    442
    Likes (Received)
    1748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    No, it's simply pointing out that Trump is not the most criticized President in history.
    Pretty sure those Historians wrote that stuff before Trump was President...

  10. Likes Gordon B. Clarke, crazygoat liked this post
  11. #828
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    Therefore, this entire thread and any discussion of whether or not to purchase Greenland is a complete and total waste of time and bandwidth. I'm just sayin'.
    Almost hard to believe but you got the reason for the LOL in the thread title.

  12. Likes crazygoat liked this post
  13. #829
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    No, it's simply pointing out that Trump is not the most criticized President in history.
    I can think of many words to describe Trump and "controversial" is the politest and most diplomatic.

  14. #830
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    barcelona, spain
    Posts
    2,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    525
    Likes (Received)
    1422

    Default

    Thank You.

    I don´t want to ban posters, and will try to not lock or remove threads until there is no reasonable option imho.
    Unprofessional insulting posts may be removed, and I am open to re-instating them if compelling argument exists.

    This is a professional forum and people should *comport as professionals*.

    Fairly wide latitude is fine, more from skilled contributors with solid machining posts.
    Newbies or new handles are free to post excellent machining content as they wish.


    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    While it may be lively, under Hanermo it doesn't seem to have sunk to the level previously seen on this subforum.

    Not only did back and forth commentary get vicious but many times entire threads weren't just locked but scrubbed completely.
    This almost always seemed to happen at night when I was not following it so I can only assume that things got so out of control that the only way to prevent their display was to delete all posts.

  15. #831
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    barcelona, spain
    Posts
    2,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    525
    Likes (Received)
    1422

    Default

    Somewhat agree.

    "Unprofessional" as a reason for deleted posts means personal attacks with no content or relevance.
    Generally.
    As Moderator, I won´t delete posts I disagree with.

    "Censorship" means limiting the ability of posters to air their views.
    This is not how I approach the task.

    A deleted post allows the poster to rephrase their point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    deleted posts = over moderation. Make rules, encourage, direct, scold, ban..... but don not edit or delete posts.

  16. Likes Scottl liked this post
  17. #832
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4414
    Likes (Received)
    4302

    Default

    Hanermo,

    From what I've seen so far you are doing a good job with what is arguably the toughest subforum to moderate.

    I wouldn't have dared to attempt it.

  18. Likes barbter liked this post
  19. #833
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    A deleted post allows the poster to rephrase their point.
    Very true but that raises a question. How does a poster know his or her thread has been deleted? Some threads move rapidly.

  20. #834
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    3,203
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1702
    Likes (Received)
    1127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    How does a poster know his or her thread has been deleted?
    Yesterdays newspapers are todays fish and chip wrappers.
    The "proper forums" are where the posted info needs to stay.
    None of this chit is important.
    Except to you

  21. Likes Scottl, camscan liked this post
  22. #835
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3160
    Likes (Received)
    3584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Somewhat agree.

    "Unprofessional" as a reason for deleted posts means personal attacks with no content or relevance.
    Generally.
    As Moderator, I won´t delete posts I disagree with.

    "Censorship" means limiting the ability of posters to air their views.
    This is not how I approach the task.

    A deleted post allows the poster to rephrase their point.
    yeah, but there's always unintended consequences. A deterrent to really obnoxious behavior is having your name on it evermore. Deletion is really just letting the offending party off the hook. it also upsets the balance of things as anyone reading it doesn't get the full story.

    You volunteered not me, so its your call....but imo deletion/editing is over moderation (more so than a ban because it effects all ) and detracts from the place. Saw it on another forum and rarely bother anymore. For sure others will have different views, just putting out their that at least one (mine) is toward less is more

  23. #836
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3358
    Likes (Received)
    3567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    No, it's simply pointing out that Trump is not the most criticized President in history.
    The hate Trumpers would not take time to read the good things he has done and the love Trumpers overlook all the negative ..

    It will be an interesting election coming up.
    Hopefully with no riots in the streets..

    I would tell trump "shut up already" but likely be ignored.

  24. #837
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Yesterdays newspapers are todays fish and chip wrappers.
    Are fish and chips still wrapped in newspapers?

  25. #838
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland- USA
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1929
    Likes (Received)
    2130

    Default

    I hear chips are out and Indian is IN...

    Fake news...?

  26. #839
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia (Hobart)
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    561
    Likes (Received)
    2676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    yeah, but there's always unintended consequences. A deterrent to really obnoxious behavior is having your name on it evermore.
    Wrong. Some people take this as a badge of honour and relish the attention they get. Gordon is a classic example.

    What I'd *probably* do is edit/delete the contents of the post and replace it with something like:

    "Content deleted by moderator due to pointless abuse and lack of actual content"

    Then let that stand.

    PDW

  27. #840
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3358
    Likes (Received)
    3567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    I hear chips are out and Indian is IN...

    Fake news...?
    Q: What's the difference between mashed potatoes and pea soup? A: Anybody can mash potatoes.

    likely one cant grow potatoes or peas in Greenland.

    Ops!...
    http://www.nunalerineq.gl/english/fakt/potatoes.pdf


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •