Greenland - for sale? LOL - Page 43
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 860 of 929
  1. #841
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland- USA
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1929
    Likes (Received)
    2130

    Default

    Good god.
    Bahamas- total devastation on those two islands.
    They look like they were bombed.
    The block buildings reduced to rubble, frame buildings pushed into fields of debris.

  2. #842
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,470
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    442
    Likes (Received)
    1751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Good god.
    Bahamas- total devastation on those two islands.
    They look like they were bombed.
    The block buildings reduced to rubble, frame buildings pushed into fields of debris.
    I saw that.

    This storm is so slow moving, what they experienced was like a F3 tornado that lasts 2 days, instead of passing through in a few minutes.

  3. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
  4. #843
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    38
    Likes (Received)
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Good god.
    Bahamas- total devastation on those two islands.
    They look like they were bombed.
    The block buildings reduced to rubble, frame buildings pushed into fields of debris.
    I feel for those folks.....the regular folks without insurance.

    The resorts are covered for damage and loss of business. The regulars are left to fend for themselves.

    We'll probably send a small donation to the Red Cross for the relief effort.

    We already picked up the tab for the daughter, son-in-law and the husky dog to stay in Durham for a few days. The Marines cover some shit, but not all of it. (stationed in Lejeune.)

    Lets all have a good thought for the folks in Wilmington and beyond.

  5. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
  6. #844
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    I feel for those folks.....the regular folks without insurance.
    In areas where tropical storms happen why would anyone not have insurance? Some might not be able to afford insurance but I'm sure most can afford insurance. If you can afford insurance but "take a chance" then chances are it could become Russian Roulette.

    I have insurance for just about everything that could happen if the worst came to the worst. I don't have any insurance where I hope to have to use it. Has happened though and I'm glad I had it.

    I/we wouldn't dream of travelling abroad if we didn't have insurance to cover us as much as possible. Not all do.

    What I've written sounds unsympathetic. Of course any place struck by disaster needs and should get as much help as possible and the top priorities should be food, medicine and clothing. Rebuilding comes later.

  7. #845
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    4,730
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2488
    Likes (Received)
    2291

    Default

    That's a very first-world attitude Gordon...

  8. Likes daredo222 liked this post
  9. #846
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1701
    Likes (Received)
    5014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post

    There has never been such a level of criticism of any president since the start of the Republic. If Trump takes a dump in the morning, someone or some media agency would be critical of it and the way that it was performed.
    There's never been a US president who's been so thoroughly deserving of ridicule and of being criticized. Shall we look at how incredibly thin skinned he is, such that he submits a "Sharpie edited" weather map to show how his erroneous comment on Alabama being at risk was "correct" (hint: he faked the map, at no point was the NHC calling AL a target).

    Trump clings to idea Alabama faced big threat from Dorian

    He's also the man who's killed off NY contractors: Donald Trump’s Business Plan Left a Trail of Unpaid Bills - WSJ

    and screwed US banks so much he had to go to Deutsche Bank for his last loans. And there's trouble there too... Trump’s Deutsche Bank Problems Are Not Going Away – Rolling Stone

    And getting back to Obama, who led the "Birtherism" charge? Trump. The biggest racist lie against the President who's been most harassed. With Trump, it's his actual misdeeds catching up with him.

    Therefore, this entire thread and any discussion of whether or not to purchase Greenland is a complete and total waste of time and bandwidth. I'm just sayin'.

    No, the biggest waste of time is trying to combat the lies of the Right, as they're incapable of distinguishing truth from their own twisted fantasies. But we'll keep at it...

    Edit: I just had to add this: YouTube

  10. Likes Greg White, Charles Peguy, bucktruck liked this post
  11. #847
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland- USA
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1929
    Likes (Received)
    2130

    Default

    I hope some bright staffer holds onto that weather map.
    It’s gonna end up in a museum someday....

  12. #848
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1701
    Likes (Received)
    5014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    I hope some bright staffer holds onto that weather map.
    It’s gonna end up in a museum someday....
    Heh. Did you see the video of trump with that map? He had a staffer with him who seemed embarrassed, didn't even want to help hold it up.

  13. #849
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    That's a very first-world attitude Gordon...
    Is it? If someone can a afford insurance but chooses to take the risk of not having it to save money then you're OK with that?

    Think more about what I wrote.

    "In areas where tropical storms happen why would anyone not have insurance? Some might not be able to afford insurance but I'm sure most can afford insurance. If you can afford insurance but "take a chance" then chances are it could become Russian Roulette."

    By all means help those that are too poor to afford insurance. That happens often around the world when disaster strikes. The top priority is saving lives, not property.

  14. #850
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4414
    Likes (Received)
    4306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    In areas where tropical storms happen why would anyone not have insurance? Some might not be able to afford insurance but I'm sure most can afford insurance. If you can afford insurance but "take a chance" then chances are it could become Russian Roulette.
    For someone who claims to be so worldly there is much you don't seem to know about the world's population.

    Many of the inhabitants of the Caribbean are blacks of modest means. They work hard and own their own homes but they are far from well off by European standards. Insurance if it is available would be very expensive because this region has been pummeled by storms in the past and hurricane insurance would be staggeringly expensive if it were available, especially for damage caused by storm surge rather than wind. Their situation is very similar to so many of those who lived in New Orleans before it was devastated by storm.

    The land is beautiful but there is not a lot of economic opportunity which is why many choose to leave. We have a lot of people from the Caribbean in the Boston area. Many work as medical assistants in various practices. They tend to be very industrious but are also quite cheerful with a great sense of humor. Not all the folk back home are the same but enough are that given half a chance and some help they will rebuild their lives.

  15. Likes daredo222, Trboatworks liked this post
  16. #851
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    2,960
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    214
    Likes (Received)
    2055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    I think that this whole issue of whether to purchase Greenland or not probably started out in the Oval Office during a discussion of Greenland in general. Someone, in jest, might have said "Hey, why not buy Greenland? LOL". From that we get two weeks of newsprint and posts critical of Donald Trump's "Firm proposal" to buy the place when no one even knows whether it was a joke.
    Uhh, no

    Perhaps it was a joke, in a meeting. But trump is a moron, and went with it. And later confirmed that he wanted to do it, thus insulting a staunch ally, and cancelled a trip there because there he wanted to talk about it.
    A real story, not made up, trump being an idiot

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    There has never been such a level of criticism of any president since the start of the Republic. If Trump takes a dump in the morning, someone or some media agency would be critical of it and the way that it was performed.

    Because he is entirely incompetent, corrupt and encourages corruption.

    That is why he is the most criticized

  17. Likes Greg White liked this post
  18. #852
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    2,960
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    214
    Likes (Received)
    2055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post

    Many of the inhabitants of the Caribbean are blacks of modest means. They work hard and own their own homes but they are far from well off by European standards. Insurance if it is available would be very expensive because this region has been pummeled by storms in the past and hurricane insurance would be staggeringly expensive if it were available, especially for damage caused by storm surge rather than wind. Their situation is very similar to so many of those who lived in New Orleans before it was devastated by storm.
    .
    TO add, many place may not be insurable at all. The methods of property ownership vary. Many countries do not 'allow' foreign ownership, but there are work arounds that may not be conducive to insurance.

    'Oh, but they have insurance' is very much a first world attitude.

  19. #853
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    TO add, many place may not be insurable at all. The methods of property ownership vary. Many countries do not 'allow' foreign ownership, but there are work arounds that may not be conducive to insurance.

    'Oh, but they have insurance' is very much a first world attitude.
    Let them eat cake.

  20. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
  21. #854
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    2,960
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    214
    Likes (Received)
    2055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Opinions vary. I guess the big difference is that while many of us who voted for Trump can understand why others went for Hillary or supported Bernie, you refuse to show us the same courtesy.
    .
    Please, oh, wait, let me wipe away a tear.


    Scott, the reason you do not get the courtesy, is you voted for corrupt, incompetent, game show host, who it turns out, is corrupt and incompetent.

    And we all told you that before hand


    What I knew about trump as much as 20 years before he announced:

    he cheated in business

    Remember Doug Flutie?

    Course you do.

    First time I heard trumps name, it was because he was a cheat.

    The USFL collapsed and where would Dougie sign? Oh, complication, trump had signed him to a personal services contract, to evade the salary cap and maybe someone would have to buy him out or he would make Flutie drive his car or something

    First time I heard his name, 1985


    Then the way he treated his first wife, Ivana, who by all accounts was the smart one in the relationship, by very, very publicly carrying on with Marla Maples, to an extent that it was entered into the public consciousness more than the usual hum drum gossip, then before he was married to her long enough for her to be a more significant financial burden, done.

    And he continued to cheat on every wife he had.

    Next in my memory bank was Trump Shuttle. Al the experts at the time said there was no need, and he didn't know how to run an airline.

    Guess what, there was no need, and he didn't know how to run an airline.

    1992


    This was information I retained, long, long before he became a game show host or a 'politician'

    trump voters were told of this,and much,much more that came out during the campaign



    You do not get the courtesy because trump is human garbage.
    You voted for him in full knowledge of this.

    We cannot truly argue about differing with his political positions, because he has none.


    I assume you voted for Reagan.

    I did not.

    I will not criticize you for voting for Reagan because he was a fine and decent man, who I disagree with politically

    I assume you voted for Bush Sr.

    I did not.

    I will not criticize you for voting for Bush senior, because was is a fine and decent man, who I disagree with politically


    DO you see a pattern here?

    The reason you do not get the courtesy is that you voted, in full knowledge, for a piece of human garbage for the most powerful position on the planet

    And the truly sad part, I don't think it is going to work out the way you think in the long term

    I think the whiplash will be far worse than you anticipate.

  22. Likes Charles Peguy, Greg White liked this post
  23. #855
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Please, oh, wait, let me wipe away a tear.


    Scott, the reason you do not get the courtesy, is you voted for corrupt, incompetent, game show host, who it turns out, is corrupt and incompetent.

    And we all told you that before hand


    What I knew about trump as much as 20 years before he announced:

    he cheated in business

    Remember Doug Flutie?

    Course you do.

    First time I heard trumps name, it was because he was a cheat.

    The USFL collapsed and where would Dougie sign? Oh, complication, trump had signed him to a personal services contract, to evade the salary cap and maybe someone would have to buy him out or he would make Flutie drive his car or something

    First time I heard his name, 1985


    Then the way he treated his first wife, Ivana, who by all accounts was the smart one in the relationship, by very, very publicly carrying on with Marla Maples, to an extent that it was entered into the public consciousness more than the usual hum drum gossip, then before he was married to her long enough for her to be a more significant financial burden, done.

    And he continued to cheat on every wife he had.

    Next in my memory bank was Trump Shuttle. Al the experts at the time said there was no need, and he didn't know how to run an airline.

    Guess what, there was no need, and he didn't know how to run an airline.

    1992


    This was information I retained, long, long before he became a game show host or a 'politician'

    trump voters were told of this,and much,much more that came out during the campaign



    You do not get the courtesy because trump is human garbage.
    You voted for him in full knowledge of this.

    We cannot truly argue about differing with his political positions, because he has none.


    I assume you voted for Reagan.

    I did not.

    I will not criticize you for voting for Reagan because he was a fine and decent man, who I disagree with politically

    I assume you voted for Bush Sr.

    I did not.

    I will not criticize you for voting for Bush senior, because was is a fine and decent man, who I disagree with politically


    DO you see a pattern here?

    The reason you do not get the courtesy is that you voted, in full knowledge, for a piece of human garbage for the most powerful position on the planet

    And the truly sad part, I don't think it is going to work out the way you think in the long term

    I think the whiplash will be far worse than you anticipate.
    Please...don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

    Seems your head has come off.

  24. Likes Scottl, Shawnrs, Gewehr 98 liked this post
  25. #856
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3163
    Likes (Received)
    3586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    In areas where tropical storms happen why would anyone not have insurance? Some might not be able to afford insurance but I'm sure most can afford insurance. If you can afford insurance but "take a chance" then chances are it could become Russian Roulette.
    .
    You are sure? What fact/evidence has made you sure? you have haven't been out to the outskirts of the Greater Abacos. Try and see the world as it is, not just from your paradigm.

    Its a real shame in that it is such a beautiful part of the world. There are little United Empire Loyalists villages (or were) where its like time has stood still for 200 years. Also lots of remote villages. One place (er shack) of commerce serving gas, beer chicken or fish dinners and endless domino games. I remember one of us asking 'whats the population", the answer was "had to say mon, there's babies be'in born all the time". great people and had a lot of fun, but you are not in Kansas anymore

    For a lot of those people, its close to subsistence living, which is kind of ok in that they catch dinner and because of the climate shelter can be quite simple. I can't imagine for many of those people there is insurance available or that it would be affordable

  26. Likes Scottl liked this post
  27. #857
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    2,960
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    214
    Likes (Received)
    2055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Please...don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

    Seems your head has come off.
    Thank you for your reasoned, detailed and convincing reply

  28. Likes Charles Peguy liked this post
  29. #858
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland- USA
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1929
    Likes (Received)
    2130

    Default

    What’s that called in rugby when we all pile on...

    I will add- one of my sisters spent 15 years working on a missions relief ship which brought medical aid to the islands throughout the Bahamas and Caribbean.
    Plenty of needs some of those folk have that come WAY before insurance.
    This is a big hit precisely on those who can least afford it.
    The resorts- screw them
    They will just use this as a opportunity to buy up land that had been held by those with few means.

    (Fairly broad brush there- apology to those who have deep commitments to the community and will not act in this fashion...)

  30. Likes Scottl liked this post
  31. #859
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Thank you for your reasoned, detailed and convincing reply
    So what is your contingency plan if Trump makes it to a second term ?

    Just sayin'.

  32. #860
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    You are sure? What fact/evidence has made you sure? you have haven't been out to the outskirts of the Greater Abacos. Try and see the world as it is, not just from your paradigm.

    Its a real shame in that it is such a beautiful part of the world. There are little United Empire Loyalists villages (or were) where its like time has stood still for 200 years. Also lots of remote villages. One place (er shack) of commerce serving gas, beer chicken or fish dinners and endless domino games. I remember one of us asking 'whats the population", the answer was "had to say mon, there's babies be'in born all the time". great people and had a lot of fun, but you are not Kansas anymore

    For a lot of those people, its close to subsistence living, which is kind of ok in that they catch dinner and because of the climate shelter can be quite simple. I can't imagine for many of those people there is insurance available or that it would be affordable
    It'd be more convincing if, instead of a partial quote when you're trying to misdirect a post, you quoted the whole post.

    Also the subject was about the Bahamas, not some remote poverty stricken place.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •