Login to Your Account
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    So what is your contingency plan if Trump makes it to a second term ?
    Rob a bank or emigrate? Both?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    A bunch of mean, hurtful words that make baby Jesus cry.
    Oh come now and just how much of a saint is Hillary? As far as I'm concerned the last election was the choice of being castrated by belt sander or cheese grater. The next one is looking to be the same.

The assholes with the biggest personalities are the ones running out front and the media eats it up because it gets the biggest views. They never bother showing the independent or small party candidates so you would never even know they exist with out actively looking for them.

Just look at how badly Democrats turned on each other because some of them "gave" Trump the vote because they voted for Jill Stein over Hillary.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As things are those that run for presidency have to be wealthy as it takes a long time and is very expensive. Those that don't have enough money to run have to find reasons for people to give them money. Making promises that turn out to be lies is one way to go. Might help getting "more normal" candidates if running wasn't so expensive and took so long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WHAT was the Democratic Party thinking putting up a second Clinton.
    Qualifications be damned that was too divisive of a candidate and the opposition had a ready script packed away in boxes to use for the attack.

“Hey- we got any of those Clinton T-shirts packed away with the bullseye printed on the back?”

“Yep. Boxes of them.”....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just sayin'.
    I'd be studying Russian, as it would be clear that they'd won and I might as well try to fit in.

6. Likes Gobo, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I'd be studying Russian, as it would be clear that they'd won and I might as well try to fit in.
    So it's not even possible for you to even THINK that people might just find the candidates on your side are more repugnant than Trump, it absolutely 10000% has to be the Russians with absolutely no other possible explanation.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

The question was directed to Gustafson....Why do you continue to answer for him/her ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just sayin'.
    Bourbon, lots of it

and at least there won't be tariffs on it

10. Likes Charles Peguy, Trueturning, Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

now that's some funny chit right there

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    Oh come now and just how much of a saint is Hillary? As far as I'm concerned the last election was the choice of being castrated by belt sander or cheese grater. The next one is looking to be the same.

The assholes with the biggest personalities are the ones running out front and the media eats it up because it gets the biggest views. They never bother showing the independent or small party candidates so you would never even know they exist with out actively looking for them.

Just look at how badly Democrats turned on each other because some of them "gave" Trump the vote because they voted for Jill Stein over Hillary.
    I see your point, but essentially whenever someone says 'but Hillary' I have to remind them that trump has every single flaw that Hillary has, only to a much worse degree.

I was never a big Hillary fan, but to my mind the election was lost by not ever actually taking trump seriously.

They thought everyone saw him as the joke he is, and never got it that 60 million people could possibly not know the difference between 'celebrity' and 'leader'

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

now that's some funny chit right there

I see your point, but essentially whenever someone says 'but Hillary' I have to remind them that trump has every single flaw that Hillary has, only to a much worse degree.

I was never a big Hillary fan, but to my mind the election was lost by not ever actually taking trump seriously.

They thought everyone saw him as the joke he is, and never got it that 60 million people could possibly not know the difference between 'celebrity' and 'leader'
    Once again you don't get it. We wanted change and not the Obama kind or the Bush kind.

Just getting us out of things like the climate accord and the UN arms treaty vindicates taking a chance and putting our trust in him.

The trouble with so many of you on the left is you can't conceive the fact that we don't want the same things as you and your dreams are our nightmares. We're not crazy or stupid, we're just NOT YOU.

13. Likes Dumpster_diving liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Once again you don't get it. We wanted change and not the Obama kind or the Bush kind.

Just getting us out of things like the climate accord and the UN arms treaty vindicates taking a chance and putting our trust in him.

The trouble with so many of you on the left is you can't conceive the fact that we don't want the same things as you and your dreams are our nightmares. We're not crazy or stupid, we're just NOT YOU.

So now the US has no role in global climate policy.

I agree the climate treaty was deeply flawed, but it was:
    a] voluntary, virtually no one is meeting their goals
    b] a process, one where our input in the future will be in our interest

Arms treaties?

How do you not get that we are one of the largest builder, posessor and purveyor of arms on the planet, most of those treaties are about stopping other people from getting more weapons, not us

again, what in the world is your dream, a world in a hellish spiral of war?

seriously

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The question was directed to Gustafson....Why do you continue to answer for him/her ?
    Once again you can't figure out that this is a public forum. If you just want him to respond, PM him.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    ...Also the subject was about the Bahamas, not some remote poverty stricken place.
    What McGyver said about the Bahamas is accurate.

They are better off than most Caribbean countries, but quite poor by our standards. Median household income is about 31K for those households headed by men, and about 22K for those headed by women. Their currency is pegged to the USD at a 1:1 ratio.

BUT- Cost of living is very high- like $10/gallon for milk. Almost everything that isn't caught in the ocean has to come in by boat. There is virtually no agriculture. Fresh water is scarce and expensive- I paid $1/gallon to fill my tanks at Bimini and Chub Cay. There is no natural fresh water beyond the rainwater that filters through the limestone and collects a few feet below the surface. And that little bit of fresh water sits on top of a layer of salt water- so it's fine for flushing, but not very good to drink. About half the water in the country has to be made with RO, and residents don't even flush the toilets until they have to.

They just don't have a lot of disposable income, even though they are a very low tax country. The high cost of living eats everything. I would be very surprised if there was anything remotely affordable wrt flood or hurricane insurance.

Half their national income is from tourism, so this storm will hurt them in that regard as well.

Their favorite drink is Gin and Milk. No shit. I was too scared to try it, lol.

17. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know that this post wasn't directed to me. I hope you won't mind me offering an opinion.

I am acutely aware of the fact that we are very different people. You have your notion of what you want our country to be, I have mine. Thing is, I don't see why that's problem.

I don't automatically dislike you because your political beliefs don't align with mine. How stupid would that be? I'd bet a 24 pack that you and I have common interests and could be friends in a different settimg.

I would take up arms to defend your right to hold and express your beliefs. I'm pretty sure there a lot of people of goodwill on the left and right who feel this way too. We need to stop demonizing one another and uphold everyone's right to believe and vote as they choose.

For my part, I seek reasoned discussion. I don't mind if the language gets a little colorful or we trade a little jab or two. Unfortunately, there or those who make it their business to "jump" others with little or no provocation. I'm not so kind to them.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wish you'd stop making so much into about right and left. In the USA it's pretty much 50 50 so one half will always be wrong according to the other half.

As far as wanting change and not the Obama kind or the Bush kind are you still sure you got the kind of change you wanted? Has the USA become a nicer or friendlier country to live in? Do you feel safer than you did 5 years ago?

To those that travel outside the USA now and then are you treated with more or less respect now than before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I wish you'd stop making so much into about right and left. In the USA it's pretty much 50 50 so one half will always be wrong according to the other half.

As far as wanting change and not the Obama kind or the Bush kind are you still sure you got the kind of change you wanted? Has the USA become a nicer or friendlier country to live in? Do you feel safer than you did 5 years ago?

To those that travel outside the USA now and then are you treated with more or less respect now than before?
    Here I go again and I am ready for my bollocking.
    US service people are now using the local pubs again,and guess what,they are ordinary everyday people. Fancy a pint(not half a litre) fella? You can have anything you want except cats piss. I will have whatever you are drinking. AND they are enjoying the beer,the company and the atmosphere. They are also beginning to understand a wind up and joining in.
    In any decent pub you do not discuss religion or politics, you will be informed??? That you are on a no no,they know that and obey the unwritten rule,and come back tomorrow.

21. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Peguy View Post
    I know that this post wasn't directed to me. I hope you won't mind me offering an opinion.

I am acutely aware of the fact that we are very different people. You have your notion of what you want our country to be, I have mine. Thing is, I don't see why that's problem.

I don't automatically dislike you because your political beliefs don't align with mine. How stupid would that be? I'd bet a 24 pack that you and I have common interests and could be friends in a different settimg.

I would take up arms to defend your right to hold and express your beliefs. I'm pretty sure there a lot of people of goodwill on the left and right who feel this way too. We need to stop demonizing one another and uphold everyone's right to believe and vote as they choose.

For my part, I seek reasoned discussion. I don't mind if the language gets a little colorful or we trade a little jab or two. Unfortunately, there or those who make it their business to "jump" others with little or no provocation. I'm not so kind to them.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
    That is the most reasonable and well reasoned post I've seen in a long time from someone who likely disagrees with me on many issues.

It gets tiring to see post after post suggesting that those who voted for Trump are stupid, crazy, shills for the Russians or "white supremacists".

Americans have always differed in what they want from government, which is the whole reason for different candidates and different parties. I was never a particular fan of Donald Trump but he was the only one even suggesting that America seek a different course than the one we've been on for decades with endless wars, jobs lost (more like given away) to other countries, and increasing government intrusion into every area of life.

When we think "Make America Great Again" we think of a return to a place where someone could graduate high school and attain a middle class life style, not (as some claim) a return to slavery, Jim Crow and all the other sins that required cleansing. We also seek a return to a place where kids didn't shoot up their schools, people had more social connections with their neighbors and community, and the scourge of drugs didn't ruin so many lives. It wasn't a perfect world but I think it was in many ways a happier world than the one where so many are "connected" electronically while starving for human contact. They say the number one complaint today, especially among the young is loneliness. We have a lot of "things" but in many ways we seem to have traded true contentment for consumerism.

It's impossible to hold a conversation when those with different opinions constantly demonize us and berate us for not pursuing their goals instead of our own. There IS a middle ground but it's not the phony "centrist" position the establishment types in both parties try to stake out for us. My main view is largely Populist, which means a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people". ALL the people, not just those who declare themselves victims. In the world I seek it's the color of your character not the color of your skin that matters and religion is a private matter but we don't chase it out of the public square when like-minded folk choose to celebrate together. We don't hinder "the free exercise thereof" for others and we demand the same courtesy.

23. Likes Charles Peguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the world I seek it's the color of your character not the color of your skin that matters
    That's great, and I fully support that. Now, why did a man of the worst possible character become the Republican candidate, and why did that man's election open the floodgates for a lot of racist and supremacist activities?

As I've mentioned before, the first thing I saw the day after the election was a pickup truck with a big Confederate Battle Flag waving off the back of it. That's not "Southern Pride" (not in NH), that's a very clear message of white power.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great, and I fully support that. Now, why did a man of the worst possible character become the Republican candidate, and why did that man's election open the floodgates for a lot of racist and supremacist activities?

As I've mentioned before, the first thing I saw the day after the election was a pickup truck with a big Confederate Battle Flag waving off the back of it. That's not "Southern Pride" (not in NH), that's a very clear message of white power.
    But how is mr trump accused of creating it ?

Ferguson ring a bell ?

do you feel the outcome was "Proper" as well ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But how is mr trump accused of creating it ?
    The Effect of President Trump's Election on Hate Crimes by Griffin Sims Edwards, Stephen Rushin :: SSRN

Ferguson ring a bell ?
    ?? Please elucidate your point.

do you feel the outcome was "Proper" as well ?
    Do you mean was the election result "proper"? If so, yes if it had been free of foreign (Russian) interference. Again, the aspect of interference is supported by all the US intelligence agencies (17 intelligence organizations or 4? Either way, Russia conclusion still valid | PolitiFact).

And remember, the day after trump called on Russia to leak Hillary's emails, they started being hacked (Mueller revealed his Trump-Russia story in plain view).

27. Likes Greg White liked this post