Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    You mean it's stopped?
    No of course it hasn't,just trying to cheer up one of the seven dwarfs.
    I'm not suggesting that he is small in stature,just very narrow minded.
    I think he was at the back of the queue when humour was handed out. I may well complain to the moderator about that.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    No of course it hasn't,just trying to cheer up one of the seven dwarfs.
    I'm not suggesting that he is small in stature,just very narrow minded.
    I think he was at the back of the queue when humour was handed out. I may well complain to the moderator about that.
    I'd *heard* that when humour was being given out, he was bent down tying his shoelaces, and humour went straight over his head...

3. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    That some chose to trash a thread I started came as no surprise. That it started already in the 2nd post was maybe a surprise.

For those “having a go at me” and a moderator doing nothing there are a few things that should be thought about.

Greenland is country with a population. It isn’t a plot of land and a herd of cattle for sale. Denmark couldn’t sell Greenland and the USA couldn’t sell Alaska back to Russia or England sell Northern Ireland to Eire.

The USA has a military base in Greenland but many in Greenland would like it removed. China is investing in Greenland. Some are OK with that, some not.

Trump will be visiting Denmark in 2 weeks. Danish politicians are split between thinking Trump is an imbecile (not my choice of word) and those that regard him as a bullying tyrant.

Teenagers in Greenland that wish to continue their studies (college and university) travel to Denmark. I can only imagine the reaction if any of them read the comments by some about their country. The media too would grab it as a godsend to show that Trump wasn’t the only idiot in the USA. In other words, most of the remarks and comments posted in this thread have the potential of starting yet another international incident.

Trump is not popular in most countries outside the USA (tweets and trade wars) and England isn’t exactly popular within the EU countries because of the Brexit mess.

If the moderator isn’t willing to do anything about “banter” and harassment of me or anyone else there isn’t much I can do. When it becomes ridiculing a country and its population then that’s something else again.

greenland - Google Search
    Get over it, if it was not for us you would all be speaking German now.

5. Likes converterking, SND, david n liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find it ironic that the OP would complain about humorous comments in a thread whose title ends with "LOL" (Laughing Out Loud).

I can't see what else would be expected in what is not only a purely political thread* but one that seeks to ridicule the head of a country, his advisors, and perhaps also those who do not oppose him.

* OT discussion guidelines from Milicron in the General section

When he asks for intervention from the Moderator what exactly is he asking for? Certainly not to delete the thread because it violates the discussion guidelines?

"But it should be "questions" and *real* questions..not just "made to seem" like a question just to "get past the censors" so to speak."

"Political and religious related posts will be deleted."

So what is he asking? For posts that offend him to be deleted? Or is he asking for the posters to be banned? I would think his own experience with that would make him a little more sensitive to the implications of that.

OT – Banned? Who me?

But apparently not. When I read his post #1 in that thread my first thought was "Welcome to my world". As many of you know I was banned for life by a previous moderator after a post that at most should have got a warning or only a temporary ban. Many others have also been similarly banned.

Like the OP, I also have been "demoted in rank" and a large number of posts deleted forever. C'est La Vie. I don't lose sleep over what is done and past. The future is what matters.

The behavior of the OP in seeking intervention from the Moderator reminds me of nothing so much as the behavior of Frank Burns in the TV series MASH constantly going to the Colonel seeking punishment for others. I think most here view his behavior the same way the audience viewed the Burns character.

Well, I've had my say, on with the show.

"Look, I came here for an argument and you're merely contradicting."

"Oh, Sorry. Arguments are down the hall"

PS: I hope we don't have to pay too much for Greenland.

7. Likes camscan, barbter, dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    I find it ironic that the OP would complain about humorous comments in a thread whose title ends with "LOL" (Laughing Out Loud).

I can't see what else would be expected in what is not only a purely political thread* but one that seeks to ridicule the head of a country, his advisors, and perhaps also those who do not oppose him.

* OT discussion guidelines from Milicron in the General section

When he asks for intervention from the Moderator what exactly is he asking for? Certainly not to delete the thread because it violates the discussion guidelines?

"But it should be "questions" and *real* questions..not just "made to seem" like a question just to "get past the censors" so to speak."

"Political and religious related posts will be deleted."

So what is he asking? For posts that offend him to be deleted? Or is he asking for the posters to be banned? I would think his own experience with that would make him a little more sensitive to the implications of that.

OT – Banned? Who me?

But apparently not. When I read his post #1 in that thread my first thought was "Welcome to my world". As many of you know I was banned for life by a previous moderator after a post that at most should have got a warning or only a temporary ban. Many others have also been similarly banned.

Like the OP, I also have been "demoted in rank" and a large number of posts deleted forever. C'est La Vie. I don't lose sleep over what is done and past. The future is what matters.

The behavior of the OP in seeking intervention from the Moderator reminds me of nothing so much as the behavior of Frank Burns in the TV series MASH constantly going to the Colonel seeking punishment for others. I think most here view his behavior the same way the audience viewed the Burns character.

Well, I've had my say, on with the show.

"Look, I came here for an argument and you're merely contradicting."

"Oh, Sorry. Arguments are down the hall"

Oh yes,I like this post,serious but with humour.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe the LOL in the title was just his way of saying that donnie was so fucking stupid to believe that.
    Anyway, y'all will find something wrong no matter what Gordon posts about. Rather than making a career out of constantly picking on somebody, put him on your ignore list. You have the ability to do that but you chose not to. I wonder why? Because that leave you with nothing to say?

You say it's all in friendly back and forth banter, but I've seen some pretty mean spirited remarks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Very carefully, you only get one try.....
    That surely figures. Why else would she dare ASK in that venue, of all places?
    Better to lose face than a novel meal?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd *heard* that when humour was being given out, he was bent down tying his shoelaces, and humour went straight over his head...
    That's his story, and he's sticking it to us, but rumour has it he was bare of foot at the time. And not-only.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope we have to pay through the a**! Think it through. Say 600 billion dollars across 600 people? You KNOW how TF we "tax the rich".

We'd triple our money by the first calendar quarter!

Dumb like a fox, that Trump, is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a friend who was at the Airbase there. He liked the Greenlanders. This was before 9/11. For all the overreaction and saying the President is crazy does seem to be rooted in politics.

This becomes clear once the accusations and name calling begins. The curse words have begun too.

Greenland has moved toward independence anyway and so is it right for this possibility to be thought to be degrading to them? Seems like what Greenland thinks is better for Greenland is the most important.

They may not like the whole idea yet I would rather them say it being they have wanted to be their own country. I do not see investment going from Denmark to Greenland to develop and enrich the lives of Greenlanders.

14. Likes Scottl, thomj, camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All of this publicity is likely to be good for Greenland in the long run. So would increasing relations with the United States. Greenland is actually part of North America and is the 12th largest nation in terms of land area although it has a population of less than 60,000.

Currently the U.S. is increasing diplomatic relations with Greenland, something that has been neglected since 1950 when our consulate there closed. The state of Maine is exploring closer economic ties with them and if trade can be increased it might help their quest for independence. Currently over half the budget of Greenland comes from Denmark, a burden they would likely gladly give up.

While it is not for sale and we are not going to buy it if things move forward as hoped it will be a win-win situation for all.

Where is Greenland? / Where is Greenland Located in The World? / Greenland Map - WorldAtlas.com

Greenland Map, Map of Greenland, Flags and Geography of Greenland - Worldatlas.com

16. Likes SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All of this publicity is likely to be good for Greenland in the long run. So would increasing relations with the United States. Greenland is actually part of North America and is the 12th largest nation in terms of land area although it has a population of less than 60,000.

Currently the U.S. is increasing diplomatic relations with Greenland, something that has been neglected since 1950 when our consulate there closed. The state of Maine is exploring closer economic ties with them and if trade can be increased it might help their quest for independence. Currently over half the budget of Greenland comes from Denmark, a burden they would likely gladly give up.

While it is not for sale and we are not going to buy it if things move forward as hoped it will be a win-win situation for all.

Where is Greenland? / Where is Greenland Located in The World? / Greenland Map - WorldAtlas.com

Greenland Map, Map of Greenland, Flags and Geography of Greenland - Worldatlas.com
    Closer ties are a good thing with Greenland. Iam sure there are things which the Greenlanders feel are a good quality system. We can learn something from that. I watched some American fishermen go fishing for Sturgeon there and it was a great show. A very cold environment the Greenlanders are a very hearty people and the ones in that show were very nice people. I liked that show if I could keep from freezing I would enjoy a trip like that.

The map link you posted shows it is close to Canada and thus North America. The Nordic people settled it first. At that point in time England was busy with Viking raiding and had yet to build their Navy and eventual Empire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

(my italics)

No, straight up his asshole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

Dumb like a fox, that Trump, is.
    How very very true, ………….and some say should be treated like a fox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Technically Denmark could sell Greenland to the US if they were willing to surrender their sovereignty via a treaty.

Greenland could also sell themselves to the US of they attained independence and were desiring to forgo their sovereignty via a treaty with the US.

Both of those are highly unlikely however stranger things have happened.

If we were to actually pay $1trillion for Greenland, that would be a literal bargain as it is a treasure house of rare earth metals.

China has many of these rare earth mineral mining contracts tied up in Africa while the rest of the world has been idly setting buy. This is why we can no longer purchase raw Neodymium and must buy finished magnets from China as they are playing the game very smart.

It is doubtful if Denmark nor Greenland itself has the capital nor desire to develop the mining treasure house that is there. It will take outside money and technology to develop the mines. As bizarre as it sounds, this makes some sort of deal highly probable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Closer ties are a good thing with Greenland. Iam sure there are things which the Greenlanders feel are a good quality system. We can learn something from that. I watched some American fishermen go fishing for Sturgeon there and it was a great show. A very cold environment the Greenlanders are a very hearty people and the ones in that show were very nice people. I liked that show if I could keep from freezing I would enjoy a trip like that.

The map link you posted shows it is close to Canada and thus North America. The Nordic people settled it first. At that point in time England was busy with Viking raiding and had yet to build their Navy and eventual Empire.
    Native Greenlanders are the same ethnicity as Native Alaskans. Apparently their major export is fish yet very little goes to the U.S.

The major point is that if they can become largely self sustaining they can have the independence they seek and which Denmark says they can have at any time. While increased trade can help make up the deficit it is likely that only by leasing mineral rights are they likely to achieve full economic self sufficiency. Like most native peoples the Greenlanders are wary of allowing mineral extraction that might damage their environment and habitat so it remains to be seen.

22. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Gordo....we are coming, getting closer by the minute.
    Plotting & planning:
    YouTube

24. Likes camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The REAL QUESTION though is:
    Will Greenland stay Metric or have to switch to Imperial measurements?

I remember a ski trip in 1985 to Thunder Bay, (not Greenland, but it was a metric country)
    Asked a young lady where I could get some metric screws..
    Seems everything back home was in imperial units...
    Her eyes lit up and she tried to grab me and pull me across the counter... Too bad the bus was loading to go home again.
    Last edited by 3t3d; 08-19-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    How very very true, ………….and some say should be treated like a fox.
    If you mean chased to death by packs of hounds and riders on horseback blowing horns?

Have you not seen our media hard at it, lo the whole time he's been out of his hole?

Or ONE OF his "holes", anyway.

Some wag said the problem with "Trump Derangement Syndrome" wasn't that he got into a detractor's head. But that he tore out partitions, built-out rental space, and started leasing it out - in what had BEEN "their" heads.

Meanwhile, back at the workplace, lot of OTHER folks just gittin' OUR shit done whilst the maddened crowd is chasing the head clown with torches and pitchforks, 'stead of gittin' THEIR shit done.

Sure has been keepin' the horseflies off MY watermelon. I can stand another term of that. Not as if anyone expected me to LIKE the SOB, after all.

I'm agnostic about sech things. "Useful" is good enough, distractions as they be.

The Man Who Never Was - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd buy a Make Greenland Green Again hat.

28. Likes barbter, camscan, david n liked this post