What's new
What's new

Harley Davidson plant closing

might have nothing to do with it but in China electric bikes are becoming very popular.
sometimes its hard for manufacturers to modernize cause investments in new technology can be more can they can afford. that is hugh companies often combined from many smaller companies can pool resources. smaller companies have limited options.
Kodak closed photographic picture making buildings not cause of direct competition but more every cell phone and ipad like tablet acting as camera and picture viewer was making the old machines and ways obsolete. not like it was going to get into the cell phone business.

A friend just got back from a vacation in China. He says electric vehicles are all over. They are identified by different colored license plates.

Our steel industry took a hit like Kodak's when we subsidized new steel mills in other countries, foreign aid and all that. The problem was that the new mills were built to the state of the art while ours were from the early 20th century.

How's your Polaroid stock doing? How about stock in a slide rule company or maybe radio tube manufacturing.

Bill

Our steel industry took a hit like Kodak's when we subsidized new steel mills in other countries, foreign aid and all that. The problem was that the new mills were built to the state of the art while ours were from the early 20th century.

Bill

Steel companies failed to modernize. They chose not to because they had a virtual monopoly. Corporate officers got bonuses, stockholders got payouts, plants rotted

the things you mention are relevant, but I do not believe they are the majority of the reason for the problems with US companies

Steel companies failed to modernize. They chose not to because they had a virtual monopoly. Corporate officers got bonuses, stockholders got payouts, plants rotted

Nope......
Taxes, real estate, inventory, machinery and facilities. State and local taxes milking the cash cow.

Probably the same thing at Harley as at Carrier. They can get things made cheaper overseas and don't care about things like made in USA. Incidentally, I have owned a Harley since 97 and there were already plenty of imported parts on them back then too.

They build garbage. They can't compete with other, better products and thusly, deserve extinction.

I don't know where you get your information but I have only had one problem with my Harley in the 22 years that I have been riding it. The board for the old style fuel injection went bad. It was the very early years of fuel injection on Harleys.

I don't know where you get your information but I have only had one problem with my Harley in the 22 years that I have been riding it. The board for the old style fuel injection went bad. It was the very early years of fuel injection on Harleys.

I don't think he was talking about Harley, they have been making pretty good stuff for some time now

Did the tariffs have anything to do with the closure or was this planned before they were announced?

(Sorry mods if this encroaches on the now disallowed adult-like conversation)
H-D announced the closure of the KC plant on January 2018.

Trump announced the tariffs March 2018.

Agree. I've got an '09 Ultra. It's like riding a Lazy-Boy down the highway, lol. Most comfortable bike I've ever owned and not one problem in the time I have had it.

If you like chrome plated plastic, buy a jap bike. If you like your chrome to have metal underneath, buy a Harley. :)

Somewhat off topic but maybe not. I just purchased a motorcycle from an American company. Janus Motorcycles in Goshen, Indiana. All parts except the motor are sourced within 20 miles of Goshen. The frame, fenders, leather work and most of the other parts are made by Amish craftsman. The motor (GASP) is from China. But these motors have been used for decades and is a close relative to the Honda 250cc. They are used all over the world in some of the harshest conditions. So, because of that, I'm not sure I mind. Hand built to order. I couldn't resist the classic looks of this bike. So I invested in an American Company that is trying to keep the American manufacturing thing going.

Paul

IMG_9193.jpgIMG_9229.jpgIMG_9228.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9049.jpg
    IMG_9049.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 308
Not that I have much love for Fastenal, But I wonder how they feel with all those consignment bins with hardware getting auctioned off.

That's a neat looking bike! What's the price tag on one?

I was just checking those out after he posted about them. The website has some decked out with saddle bags, book racks and other goodies for around $7k

They have two other models but the exhaust pipe looks like its setup for a Barbecue.

I wonder is they ship to Asia.....

Back