Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Milwaukee Marvel is made in Milwaukee,not in India ,Thailand or China........I will buy another HD when they start making panhead Duoglides again.At 5700 W.Juneau....there is a very good reason I can sell my 59 panhead for $25k,when a 2006 HD sells for $2500.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    tell us about what a roaring success your business is. The issue is not really taxes. Attitudes like yours are a big part of the problem - ignorantly assume assume assume rather than discuss and ask. Sorry, but you are a waste of my time.
    I'm sorry, was there supposed to be a point there?

your attitude is childish, ohh the gov't is keeping me down, what can possibly be more of a waste of time?

I am simply responding to the comment you made, assuming zero

3. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Still have my K&E slide rule around here somewhere. Bet it still works
    I still have my Pickett log log vector hyperbolic and a 6" pocket Picket.

Bill

5. Likes n2zon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE. View Post
    The best thing is to be going down the road one day, riding the H/D... other "bikers" will wave their little "I'm cool, down below the handlebars wave"... which I don't return in kind~ I wave up in the air like normal.
    As you see in my avatar, I am an Indian rider, got my first one in 1970, the one in the picture was a super basket case I got on the road about 1975. Indian riders regard Harleys as fine American made iron- riding a Harley is a lot like sex with a sheep. It really isn't that bad as long as your friends don't see you do it.

Bill

7. Likes Rewt, Oldwrench, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny how people think "my" motorcycle is the "real" bike.
    You see this even inside the HD family for motors or years.
    Owned over 50 bikes and I'll ride anything with two wheels and a motor and enjoy it.
    Honda 50 step-through to 200+ superbikes the wave is hand and fist held high for right and love to ride.
    My first motorcycle was a 41 Harley 125 hummer which I rode in the dirt and sand. No suspension, terrible handling, but oh so much fun.
    The smallest I own now is a GT-185 and it's a grin to take out. One I wished I'd kept was a tiny SL-70 as probably the best I've had for teaching people to ride.

It's the act of riding that matters not what you are sitting on.
    Bob

9. Likes Greg White, dalmatiangirl61, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    I was referring to the EU taxes and tariffs- but what you are saying is what I am saying- which is-
    Harley will build motorcycles in places where they can send them to their growing active markets with paying taxes and tariffs if they can avoid it.
    That means NOT in the USA, because we are fighting with many countries right now by raising tariffs, and getting tariffs raised in return.

Harley told us a year ago- if we, the USA, continue to get into trade wars, we, Harley, will move production to countries where we can avoid those taxes and tariffs.
    And, then, Surprise Surprise, as Gomer used to say, they did it.

And they will continue to do it.
    If they make motorcycles in India, they avoid Indian taxes, and can export from there, to countries that enact taxes and tariffs on US made bikes, but not on Indian made ones.
    Same thing with Harleys made in Brazil, Thailand, and, potentially, Eastern Europe.

Capitalism isnt the same thing as Nationalism.
    Money doesnt care.
    With the EU trade war didn't Harley say they were going to move key production to GERMANY ?

Like Ohhh Nooooo those Germans are really bad at building stuff ;-) Who would want a German built Harley ?

11. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Funny how people think "my" motorcycle is the "real" bike.
    You see this even inside the HD family for motors or years.
    Owned over 50 bikes and I'll ride anything with two wheels and a motor and enjoy it.
    Honda 50 step-through to 200+ superbikes the wave is hand and fist held high for right and love to ride.
    My first motorcycle was a 41 Harley 125 hummer which I rode in the dirt and sand. No suspension, terrible handling, but oh so much fun.
    The smallest I own now is a GT-185 and it's a grin to take out. One I wished I'd kept was a tiny SL-70 as probably the best I've had for teaching people to ride.

Bob
    Whats really amazing how damn good the new bikes are... all the jap dirtbikes out of the box are FANTASTIC. The FI 4 strokes are just great, I mean really really great.

13. Likes cameraman, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    With the EU trade war didn't Harley say they were going to move key production to GERMANY ?

Like Ohhh Nooooo those Germans are really bad at building stuff ;-) Who would want a German built Harley ?
    I don't think that's correct. They said they would sell motorcycles from India into Europe. That would eliminate the 25% retaliatory tariff the EU imposed on US made bikes.

Harley's overseas plants are just assembly plants- the parts are still made in the US.

The exception is one facility in India that makes the Street 500 and 750's. The KC plant was making these for the North American market, India was making them for the ROW. I think they will all be made in India now, and they are expanding the line to more smaller displacement bikes.

Not all the big twin riders are dying off- my nephew bought a Road King last year.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I don't think that's correct. They said they would sell motorcycles from India into Europe. That would eliminate the 25% retaliatory tariff the EU imposed on US made bikes.

Harley's overseas plants are just assembly plants- the parts are still made in the US.

The exception is one facility in India that makes the Street 500 and 750's. The KC plant was making these for the North American market, India was making them for the ROW. I think they will all be made in India now, and they are expanding the line to more smaller displacement bikes.

Not all the big twin riders are dying off- my nephew bought a Road King last year.
    Germany – Harley Davidson Invited To Move Operations To Berlin

There were a number of reports at the time stating specifically Germany but was not sure what the origin of that was... ^^^ that's a useful clue.

The First Yank and Harley to Enter Germany

^^^ This is a cute story of the "First Yank and Harley to enter Germany " photo dated 1918 but story kicks off in 1944 (from Harley Davidson archives.).

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

In my early twenties on a large shop floor (in the early 90's DC/ Maryland.) I learnt to not get into arguments about motor cycles... Especially when one's "Pals" are fixin to get me killed on their moto guzzi's while others trying to take the piss out of the inefficiencies of this and that of someone's pride and joy ( like a West Virginian Harley rider) replete with fiber glass facsimile of a German WW I helmet (as "head protection" ), interspersed with nerdier / more clinical types (of all ages even up to 75 year olds) that dig BMWs... Of course originally coming from the U.K. they'd keep telling me the same joke "What does BSA stand for ? " --> "I dunno " " Bastard Stopped Again ! Hahaha " … So coming from the U.K. there seemed to be universal agreement (amongst the American Bike "aficionados" ), that U.K. bikes had an extraordinary history for being terrible and "Sad"... [Aviation based facility hence the disproportionate number of "Peeps" that rode "Bikes".].

Interesting how so much has changed since the 90's even with all these brands (a couple having been resurrected.).

[I spent some time touring the Jungfrau mountains in Switzerland on a Kawasaki 750 special edition... Nice bends and scenery and friendly "Bike culture" out there and really well engineered roads / tarmac, almost every bend banked perfectly. Solid bike for its time. ].

If Harley set up European HQ in Berlin or Munich that would not surprise me, but maybe reach into Poland, Cech republic, Hungary and others former Eastern Block countries.

The UK doing the Brexit thing while POTUS fiddling with punitive tariffs and Europe retaliating, but seems Harley was kinda fixin to "Up-sticks" anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=CarbideBob;3365998

Peter Egan's (of cycle world fame) has a step-through honda 50 as his first bike.

+1, my buddy at work says bikes are like women, the one you are on at that moment, is your favorite.

17. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much effect does water cooling have on Harley Riders?

I’ve heard talk in the showrooms that there are a lot of Harley riders that do not think a water cooled Harley is the real thing.

Yet modern emission rules and trying to increase horsepower to match rival machines means that water cooling has to take over.

19. Likes cameraman, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I don't think he was talking about Harley, they have been making pretty good stuff for some time now
    That's actually quite true. The early days even before AMF were times of really poor quality. The early Harleys suffered from poor machining and loose tolerances that made them pretty much a 20,000 mile unit between rebuilds.

My last Harley ( I owned about 20 of them in a 50 year period along with some British and Japanese bikes) was a 2011 Dyna Street Bob. It had a 96 cu. in engine with a six speed gear box and it was truly a turn-key bike. It had a great engine with very little vibration and not a single electrical or mechanical problem in the 5 years I owned it.

I understand that Harley-Davidson is having problems nowadays. I really don't know why other that the fact that many young people are simply not interested in motorcycling anymore. They spend a great deal of time on social media and perhaps motorcycling doesn't fit in.

There's also possibly a connection to an aging demographic......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    ...other that the fact that many young people are simply not interested in motorcycling anymore. They spend a great deal of time on social media and perhaps motorcycling doesn't fit in.

There's also possibly a connection to an aging demographic......
    I don't think contempt for the younger demographic necessarily makes one a codger. I fail to be impressed by a city-dwelling millennial, sweater tied around shoulders, tapping away on his phone calling his Uber ride because he has chosen not to own a car or even get a drivers license. I would've recognized that individual as an unredeemable wuss when I was twenty. Fortunately they aren't all like that. The performance automotive market (and its associated magazines) has a sort of rebellious flavor that hasn't been seen since the '50s. Hot rods built just to piss people off, and those building them are young. I admire that. There is hope.

22. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't click the link if you are offended by foul langauge... this is Harley's real problem...

YouTube

24. Likes Mcgyver, dalmatiangirl61, JoeE., rotarySMP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lionelt View Post
    How much effect does water cooling have on Harley Riders?

I’ve heard talk in the showrooms that there are a lot of Harley riders that do not think a water cooled Harley is the real thing.

Yet modern emission rules and trying to increase horsepower to match rival machines means that water cooling has to take over.
    Harley made a water cooled bike. I have only seen one, on a bank parking lot with California plates and a good looking girl rider.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    Harley made a water cooled bike. I have only seen one, on a bank parking lot with California plates and a good looking girl rider.

Bill
    The large Ultra Classics have had liquid cooling for the past few years. The cylinder heads are liquid cooled and that is combined with oil cooling.

The V-Rods were liquid cooled. Although they are no longer made but they did show that Harley can build liquid cooled bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The V-Rod motor was designed by Porsche.

28. Likes 5 axis Fidia guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by magno_grail View Post
    The V-Rod motor was designed by Porsche.

Yes. Designed by Porsche. Built by Harley-Davidson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They have this in the works for the near future. I see a radiator in the photo. I hope they don't leave this to die like the Vrod or Buell.

111.jpg

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    The large Ultra Classics have had liquid cooling for the past few years. The cylinder heads are liquid cooled and that is combined with oil cooling.

The V-Rods were liquid cooled. Although they are no longer made but they did show that Harley can build liquid cooled bikes.

I considered buying a V-Rod, then borrowed a Ultra Classic from local Harley dealer, project Rushmore model I think?

It just didn't feel right for me, ended up with a Triumph Rocket 3 Classic.

But talking to a few Harley owners some of the older ones were not keen on the water-cooled models.

My son had a Road King with an EVO motor and he always said that was the best motor, but I am not that familiar with HD.

Here in the UK Triumph Motorcycle seem to be doing well.