Harley Davidson plant closing - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    I see that the sarcasm inherent in the phrase 'What could possibly go wrong?' passed over your head....

PDW
    I have heard that phrase used in a serious context way too many times from people that had absolutely no idea what they were getting into and then have had to deal with the aftermath, especially in some countries outside the US.

I assumed that you were disagreeing with E.G.s comment not agreeing.

I should have noticed the multiple ?s. That is one problem with internet sarcasm, no voice inflections to make sarcasm obvious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    I have heard that phrase used in a serious context way too many times from people that had absolutely no idea what they were getting into and then have had to deal with the aftermath, especially in some countries outside the US.

I assumed that you were disagreeing with E.G.s comment not agreeing.

I should have noticed the multiple ?s. That is one problem with internet sarcasm, no voice inflections to make sarcasm obvious.
    It's kind of a standard joke among my boat-building crowd when we hear something we know is going to end in tears. You're right about the internet sarcasm problem, another forum I follow the convention is to post sarcastic commentary in purple font. Some people still don't get it, though....

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It depends on the culture. One time Marci listed the things she had done in readiness for a hurricane which ended with 100 MRIs and then "I can always cook the dog." I forwarded it to my Bulgarian friend and had barely clicked the send box when the phone rang, Galina wanting to know why I would send her such a thing. I explained that it was a joke and she said "There is nothing funny about the lady having to eat her pet." She simply would not regard it as humor. Marci's response was that if she was Korean, she would have sent me a recipe. I didn't forward that.

Phrases come through in modified forms, such as "killing two birds with one stone" translates to "killing two rabbits with one shot." Punch lines appear in the middle of jokes and the second half is spent explaining why it is funny.

Bill

4. Likes tdmidget, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like the price of older shovelheads and panheads is going up some, evo models not so much.
    The older bikes 1999 and earlier have become expensive to rebuild using quality parts, the prices are way down on most evo models to the point that to rebuild one properly would exceed its value. I remember that happening to British bikes some decades back.
    The later 2000 up Harleys, are considerably easier to maintain/repair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    It looks like the price of older shovelheads and panheads is going up some, evo models not so much.
    The older bikes 1999 and earlier have become expensive to rebuild using quality parts, the prices are way down on most evo models to the point that to rebuild one properly would exceed its value. I remember that happening to British bikes some decades back.
    The later 2000 up Harleys, are considerably easier to maintain/repair.
    So where are all the Shovelheads? They made millions of them, you never see one on the road or for sale. I figured I could get one cheap but you never see any for sale. My buddy drove his Shovel to Sturgis from Minneapolis, He saw only one other Shovel on the whole trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    So where are all the Shovelheads? They made millions of them, you never see one on the road or for sale. I figured I could get one cheap but you never see any for sale. My buddy drove his Shovel to Sturgis from Minneapolis, He saw only one other Shovel on the whole trip.
    Japan... they are shipping them over by the container full.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I cant find definitive numbers online, but i think the real number is more like less than 200,000, from 66 to 84.
    Although motorcycles may be kept longer than cars, they also crash more. After 20 years, its uncommon, with a car, for 10% to survive- its usually more like 5%. My guess is that there just arent that many shovelheads left. A lot got parted, crashed, and just scrapped.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So where are all the Shovelheads? They made millions of them, you never see one on the road or for sale.
    I don't think so .... they didn't really make that many bikes back in the old days. You could look it up but I doubt they made even 100,000 shovels. Volumes were not that large back then.

I figured I could get one cheap but you never see any for sale. .
    Ha ! Even a crummy pan (worst heads in existence, bar none) costs way too much money now. The best deal is a nice early Sportster but a good one of those will probably set you back ten grand. A ratmobile can be had for pretty cheap tho, if you keep your eyes open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I don't think so .... they didn't really make that many bikes back in the old days. You could look it up but I doubt they made even 100,000 shovels. Volumes were not that large back then.

Ha ! Even a crummy pan (worst heads in existence, bar none) costs way too much money now. The best deal is a nice early Sportster but a good one of those will probably set you back ten grand. A ratmobile can be had for pretty cheap tho, if you keep your eyes open.
    Yeah I know pans are crazy prices, they have been out of sight for years.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Evo's are much better engines and a lot cheaper. You'd probaly be better off to find a straight-leg frame and put the shovel-looking rocker boxes on an evo. 90% of the viewing audience couldn't tell the difference, and you'd have a better, cheaper bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I owned a nice stock 1982 Shovelhead for 16 years and put more than 60,000 miles on it.

As to where did they all go? I couldn't locate production numbers for 1965 to 1983-84 in the Shovelhead era, but I suspect that there were not millions made, probably more in the thousands. AMF bought the company in 1969 and held it until 1981 and those were not really good years for sales, either. The company was plagued with quality problems and sales were not good. In fact by 1981 when Willie G. and his colleagues took over from AMF the company was almost out of business.

A dealer friend once told me that he survived that period with repairs and accessory sales and tried to order just enough motorcycles to keep the company happy.

That was also the height of the chopper era and many of the bikes simply got modified to the point where they were un-ridable and ran very poorly. A favorite change was installing ultra-high compression pistons in an engine with a hemispherical combustion chamber design and one spark plug - a guaranteed set up for overheating and pre-ignition. Some people added dual plugs which helped but modifications like that were expensive and not all that common.

So where did they all go? Most of them got chopped up and wound up in cardboard boxes. I can vouch for his since I went to every swap meet I could find in that era and there were many pieces for sale.