Has anyone been following the remarkable pace of development in the UAV/drone sector? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE. View Post
    The railroad I work for has decided to start using drones to "test" us field employees in their zeal to assess discipline in their never ending quest to keep employees down.

It's a constant battle between us and management. Their whole reason for existence is to catch you doing things they've made rules prohibiting so they can keep the spectre of being fired hanging over your head. They feel that an employee under the gun is a more controllable employee.

They initiated the program, then there was a challenge from the Unions over questions of safety of the employees losing their concentration if they spotted the drone spying on them... so, the company put the program on hold... while they rewrote the rules to remove any way the union could challenge it... and now they put out a message that they are going to resume their spy program.

The company has video surveillance in yards... which started out as a useful method for management to oversee train movement in said yard.. but has morphed into a method of spying on employees for disciplinary reasons.

Well, the men have learned those cameras' field of vision and know not to do things where they can be seen... so, management resorts to higher technology... drones... so they can hover overhead and follow you to places that the stationary cameras can't penetrate....

We looked up "drone jamming technology".... but that stuff is too expensive right now
    Sounds like you need to have a group of guys do something worthy of beeing spied on by the drone (diversion) while someone else (out of camera range) causes the drone to crash. I bet in a train yard small noises would not be heard. Or use a paintball gun to cover the lens of the camera?

A few posts back PDW had the good idea: Someone needs to get working on a relatively short-range directed EMP gun......

2. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We looked up "drone jamming technology".... but that stuff is too expensive right now
    A loaded 12Ga shotgun shell is about 35 cents.

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Bit noisy & conspicuous in a built-up area though. I did have that exact same thought myself, however....

PDW

6. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Bit noisy & conspicuous in a built-up area though. I did have that exact same thought myself, however....

PDW
    Then what?
    That’s as dumb as thinking your AR will stop an A-10.

Better yet.
    Private Railroad property.
    In permitted gun.

Bye bye.

This the kind of BS ammosexuals drink coors and jack off about.

8. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    #1... I DO NOT DRINK COORS.. If I wanted to taste a Coors, I'd stick my tongue up my dogs ass.
    Unless I don't have to pay for it, then its tolerable.

#2... I am far from an ammosexual.. Some would call me a "Libtard".. I have no problem with guns,
    I have no problem with shooting things that need to be shot. I have no problem with target shooting
    or hunting. I believe in sensible regulation.. Fruit loops and whack jobs shouldn't have guns.

#3... If I'm jackin it in San Diego, I'm NOT drinking a coors, and I'm certainly not thinking about guns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1... I DO NOT DRINK COORS.. If I wanted to taste a Coors, I'd stick my tongue up my dogs ass.

#2... I am far from an ammosexual.. Some would call me a "Libtard".. I have no problem with guns,
    I have no problem with shooting things that need to be shot. I have no problem with target shooting
    or hunting. I believe in sensible regulation.. Fruit loops and whack jobs shouldn't have guns.

#3... If I'm jackin it in San Diego, I'm NOT drinking a coors, and I'm certainly not thinking about guns.
    Ditto. Never tried Coors, I'm happy to keep things that way.

As for drones in a private railyard, shrug, not much can be done about it.

Over my property though, different rules apply as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps, rather than firearms or a yet to be invented EMP gun, consider other ways of bringing the things down. A cheaper drone that can kamikazi into the expensive one with the cameras might be the go. Oooops, sorry about that, perhaps you should keep your toy out of my sky.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No the thrust of my interest but....
    The range of a 500 buck drone is quite remarkable- HUD for video control and steering input.
    Gone are the days of line of sight control.
    I think if I was out in the country and one of these things was snooping around over the yard I would get a bit put out.

“Get off my yard!”...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Ditto. Never tried Coors, I'm happy to keep things that way.

As for drones in a private railyard, shrug, not much can be done about it.

Over my property though, different rules apply as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps, rather than firearms or a yet to be invented EMP gun, consider other ways of bringing the things down. A cheaper drone that can kamikazi into the expensive one with the cameras might be the go. Oooops, sorry about that, perhaps you should keep your toy out of my sky.

PDW
    I hear that a microwave oven has suitable componentry in a readily available form...strictly for research purposes.

Is a drone legally regarded as an aircraft over there? Not such a good target with the 12 ga.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob? This keyboard was saved only due to a coffee cup gone empty and off for refill arredy.

Pull that thermonuclear-grade of a stunt again without a "spew alert"?

I shall be compelled to bill you for the keyboard!

Then settle the bill meself in grateful appreciation for a job well done!

"Dog's arse" indeed... and that just for openers!

Well said!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    We'll take your "SKS to put down a deer" word for that.

Saves society the cost of research no one really wanted to get their mind sticky with let alone sniff kleenex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Soooo.....

I have found Facebook "Marketplace" to be a good substitute for Craigslist these days and cruise the site for various stuff I feel I need.
    The browser of course cruises me with google search based marketing ploys for various stuff they think I need.

Bingo a match made in heaven-

A ad popped up in full live video of a perfect clone of a $500 dollar price point drone for a wonder of $78 bucks- free dropped shipped from manufacturer in China of course but really a state of the art widget with all the features of the full price gear.
    Ha- they got me and I ordered one up.

So a couple things are of interest-

One is the distributive nature of tech- this clone drone has almost instantly captured the full feature set of the real deal from DJI (the major drone maker).

Two- the market is allowing the capture of the full feature set of expensive gear in a cheap seats product.

I am making a few assumptions:
    The product I just bought is not a true clone.
    I would say it is a intentional bid to saturate the market by the same entity.
    Also, that entity is making money at the price point I paid.

So the exercise brings up a few things of interest-
    The potential permeability of novel tech- It seems if I had struggled to develop this widget it would be swept across the market before I could say Charlie.
    Also- as I suggested on starting this thread, tech is going forward in leaps and bounds, even as expressed in the sensor control set applied to this toy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the clone makers keep ripping off all the software and hardware developments,
    Their will be no incentive for any new development money spent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at these products I am not thinking they are clones- more grey market which I see as intentional marketing by OEM.
    The widgets are not branded but identical.
    It could also be clearing of some class of inventory- slightly outdated specs etc.

Looking at the one I ordered it is a DJI Air- retails for $800 or so.
    I picked up for $80 dropped shipped from China.

It will be interesting to see what I get- it could well be a complete fraud and I get a generic widget not as pictured etc..

Trade wars have been going on forever- formula for creating fine porcelain china etc.
    I suppose I am proof of lack of discretion in some part of the market...

A twisted tale of Chinese porcelain | Salon.com