What's new
What's new

Hey trump, Thanks for the $4.50/# steel prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big B

Diamond
I haven't spent much time in my shop for the last year or so due to some health problems and other business interests taking my time but I just called to order a stick of CRS, 3/16 X 1 1/2 X 20 feet and was quoted $84 plus tax.
That comes out to about $4.50 a pound. So much winning. I can hardly wait for the tariffs to take full effect.

If you requested a 20' stick of that size, that might be an expensive order to fill;

since that size is commonly handled in 12' sticks. ( Or maybe your supplier just doesn't like you. )

My local supplier quotes $21.32 for two 12' sticks. ( .93/# )

You really should try to control your " Trump derangement syndrome".;)

I saw this post and just called my supplier to see if there is any major increase here. A 12' piece of the 3/16 x 1 1/2 CRS was $19 or $1.70/lb. 20' not available, MAYBE somebody sells it but NOT common at all. If you really need the 20' then you are paying for an ODD, NON STANDARD size, not any tariff. As a price comparison a 20' hot roll was $0.70/lb.

edit: peterson types faster

If you requested a 20' stick of that size, that might be an expensive order to fill;

since that size is commonly handled in 12' sticks. ( Or maybe your supplier just doesn't like you. )

My local supplier quotes $21.32 for two 12' sticks. ( .93/# )

You are correct about the length. I must have been thinking pipe lengths. At 12" lengths my calculations come closer to $7.50/#.

Maybe the salesperson made a mistake. This was at Alro in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'll give them a call and have them recheck the price.

I don't think that I have ever even paid $2.00/# for CRS. At 12' lengths this comes closer to $7.50/#.

You are correct in that trump is very deranged about a variety of things but I can't imagine how adding tariffs to steel and driving prices way up is helping many people in the USA.

You need to keep up with the news - it's now Individual 1 Enragement Syndrome, which turns out to be a natural reaction to having the worst criminal/traitor President ever elected in the USA's history.

Thankfully, there's good men and women within the FBI working to take this Individual down so hard that it's going to bring his whole criminal enterprise down with him. Poor Individual 1 Jr., little Eric, and Ivanka - there may not be much of an inheritance after all. Good news, though - room and board will be taken care of, courtesy the Federal Penitentiaries.

Well, the DNC is so corrupt that they threatened, bribed or intimated every decent Democrat from wanting the Dem nomination and when that didn’t completely work they had no problem rigging their own primary to make sure Hillary won the nomination. Oddly enough plenty of voters had a problem with a woman who had an unbroken 40 year history of massive corruption (Blagojevich is sitting in prison saying “Are you kidding me? All I had to do was call it a speaking fee??”), blatant lying, complete contempt for any federal law she didn’t feel like following, and using members of the Executive branch to destroy the personal and professional lives of the MANY women who were sexually assaulted or harassed by Bill Clinton.

Trump won the election because of the DNC and Clinton. Almost ANY other Democrat candidate would have easily beaten Trump. Personally I would have loved to have seen Jim Hunt, former gov of NC, as President.

So if you want to blame someone for Trump being President, try the Democratic party leadership.

Unfortunately the bitterness in Washington, and in the deeply partisan news media, and country in general has reached the point where I can’t understand why any decent person in their right mind would want the job.

Steve

Well, the DNC is so corrupt that they threatened, bribed or intimated every decent Democrat from wanting the Dem nomination and when that didn’t completely work they had no problem rigging their own primary to make sure Hillary won the nomination. Oddly enough plenty of voters had a problem with a woman who had an unbroken 40 year history of massive corruption (Blagojevich is sitting in prison saying “Are you kidding me? All I had to do was call it a speaking fee??”), blatant lying, complete contempt for any federal law she didn’t feel like following, and using members of the Executive branch to destroy the personal and professional lives of the MANY women who were sexually assaulted or harassed by Bill Clinton.

Trump won the election because of the DNC and Clinton. Almost ANY other Democrat candidate would have easily beaten Trump. Personally I would have loved to have seen Jim Hunt, former gov of NC, as President.

So if you want to blame someone for Trump being President, try the Democratic party leadership.

Unfortunately the bitterness in Washington, and in the deeply partisan news media, and country in general has reached the point where I can’t understand why any decent person in their right mind would want the job.

Steve

The DNC is a private political club.
Much different from a family criminal enterprise sitting as the chief executive.
False equivalency.

It’s amazing how the republicans have to blame Hillary for everything, even their voting for trump.

The bias from both sides crack me up. I would be willing to venture a guess the honesty and morals of your average politician in the USA is well below average regardless of party. Power hungry, back stabbing liar is a good trait to have for a politician. There are highly intelligent educated voters that vote for both parties while each party also attracts an equal number of voters whose I.Q. does not exceed room temperature. For every dumb redneck living in the backwoods of Kentucky who procreates with his cousin and votes Republican there is a 25 year old welfare queen who has 4 kids by different fathers voting for Democrats.

P.S. On the original comment the tariffs for the most part are not responsible for the majority of the price increases, they are being used as a reason to increase profits by either the mills, the wholesalers or both.
I have been quoted prices up to 75% more from what I paid for the exact same size, shape, and quantity from last year on DOMESTIC ALUMINUM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back