Hoping this subforum keeps getting better and better .. Hello from new moderator - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can we have a separate sub-forum for the likes of Gordon, thermite, and Emmanuel? Don't ban them, just give them their own play area so they feel like someone is listening. I swear that would clean up 95% of the crap around here.

2. Likes g-coder05, daredo222, fusker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    Can we have a separate sub-forum for the likes of Gordon, thermite, and Emmanuel? Don't ban them, just give them their own play area so they feel like someone is listening. I swear that would clean up 95% of the crap around here.
    Great idea!

Set it up!

So I can have the pleasure of staying the f**k OUT of it.

How's that for "having the last, best laugh", for yah?

4. Likes camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    I'd just started my business and I'd just bought a Warner Swasey WSC6 ...
    So how did the Swasey work for you ? I always thought those were pretty cool. The mechanical ones were, anyhow.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    So how did the Swasey work for you ? I always thought those were pretty cool. The mechanical ones were, anyhow.
    The machine itself was awesome (1980 I think by memory). Bought it from a dealer straight out a college where it had been hardly used, and a little abused!
    Fanuc 0TA control which was a drag as it wouldn't accept editing or adding comments in a program.
    The machine was big linear rails and it would hold 2tenths (5microns) all day. It also had a very neat swing away tailstock that you could keep out the way when not needed.
    Run the first part in the morning, and it would come out the same as last night.
    I replaced the machine with 2 Siemens shopturn lathes which were 2" bore and box way. Again great in their own right (the control is the dogs bollox!) but the X would drift upto 20 microns when warming up. But it was progressive so not bad.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When we first bought the villa in Zhongshan, we've go upriver from Hong Kong not on a catamaran or hydrofail as we use to Macao, but a hovercraft, navigation was that dodgy.

Now, either of Zhongshan or Zhuhai/Macao can be reached by the new bridge. If you don't mind the trip taking LONGER.
    Wheres your spot at in Zhongshan?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Wheres your spot at in Zhongshan?
    Was in "Morningstar Villa". Low-rise duplex. I haven't been to the replacement, fotos sent to me only. Tower devel. Nice enough. Does flood, ground level part of the area. Closer to town, anyway.
    Last edited by thermite; 08-24-2019 at 04:23 AM.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was in "Morningstar Villa". Low-rise duplex. I haven't been to the replacement, fotos sent to me only. Tower devel. Nice enough. Does flood, ground level part of the area. Closer to town, anyway.
    Whoo Whoo! do ya have any of da evil spirits visiting ya der? Before I moved into Shiqi Ocean city I was looking in Morning star. Lots of the superstitious Chinese (Basically all Chinese) told me they wouldn't visit because it was built on the old Zhongshan execution grounds. But, Even in Ocean city you can still hear the executions from the new place then watch the mobile organ harvesters drive out.

I get the floods where I'm at too, and learned quick not to get caught in the tunnels running between Torch Economic Development Zone/ Ferry Terminal and Shiqi.

Do you know this chick?
    lydia-gordons-star-prototype.jpg

Lydia Wang, Shes in charge of the W.F.O.E.'s in Zhongshan. (Wholly Owned Foreign Enterprise).
    Try to avoid her, She will exploit a foreign business for all it's worth to make the PRC look good. As you can see shes like all other PRC government officials. Has to have a big desk with nothing on. Even for this picture we had to bring the flowers!

Anyway, Enough about China for now.

Congrats to the new Moderator on inheriting the responsibility to watch over the largest group of opinionated assholes to ever grace a machine shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have always loved it when you contribute to the rebuilding forum as it is obvious you know what your talking about. Please learn how to delete insane boring posts from fake contributors who write idiotic BS most of the time.

11. Likes fusker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Please learn how to delete insane boring posts from fake contributors who write idiotic BS most of the time.
    So few of your hissy-fit posts around since you motored-off to your new evangelical gospel revival tent and snake-oil elixer wagon "sold only on TV", I thot he was already DOING that?

Mebbe you should just chill-out and go fission?

??

13. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Whoo Whoo! do ya have any of da evil spirits visiting ya der? Before I moved into Shiqi Ocean city I was looking in Morning star. Lots of the superstitious Chinese (Basically all Chinese) told me they wouldn't visit because it was built on the old Zhongshan execution grounds. But, Even in Ocean city you can still hear the executions from the new place then watch the mobile organ harvesters drive out.
    My distate for it was the damned industrial-grade combined-cycle Duck and fish ponds still adjacent when we first moved in.

Can't recall but ISTR they were cycling 2.5 million Ducks a year above water, more than enough insects attracted by Duck shit and offal volunteering as desert to wotever the factories fed 'em a-purpose.

No idea what tonnage of Tilapia living off the duck shit and wotever over-throw a duck had been too slow to compete for below water.

Not much wasted, not even the local mosquitoes, which weren't being waste near fast enough, even so.

I've avoided Tilapia ever since, plus ANY other seafood must be "wild caught", never farm-raised.

They still running the famous "world's best" BBQ dog and cat stalls by the river?

Do you know this chick?
    Lydia Wang,
    Doubtful. Time has passed. Looks a younger generation.

Congrats to the new Moderator on inheriting the responsibility to watch over the largest group of opinionated assholes to ever ^^^ grease ^^^ a machine shop.
    Fixed that for yah. "No grace 'ERE!" HM SIS thing. Someday over a jar.

15. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm wondering if this sub forum has become better or the same as it was.

The exchanges in it are certainly very different to those in the other sub fora. Could it be that this is the one with most non Americans and how Americans and non Americans see the world is often very different?

Certainly some Americans seem to take offense very quickly to anything the see as bashing or trashing the USA. Many of the perceived differences of opinion seem to arrive from what's being seen on TV. The US TV news I've seen tends to be more about viewer ratings and commercials than going into events in depth. In brief, at least to me, very biased depending on their viewers.

For want of a better word I've never known the USA to be as "disjointed" as it is at present. It's as if everyone has to be either for or against something and no middle ground tolerated.

17. Likes fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I'm wondering if this sub forum has become better or the same as it was.

The exchanges in it are certainly very different to those in the other sub fora. Could it be that this is the one with most non Americans and how Americans and non Americans see the world is often very different?

Certainly some Americans seem to take offense very quickly to anything the see as bashing or trashing the USA. Many of the perceived differences of opinion seem to arrive from what's being seen on TV. The US TV news I've seen tends to be more about viewer ratings and commercials than going into events in depth. In brief, at least to me, very biased depending on their viewers.

For want of a better word I've never known the USA to be as "disjointed" as it is at present. It's as if everyone has to be either for or against something and no middle ground tolerated.
    So now you say that we are disjointed. Add this to the mounting list of your many, many, negative statements about The United States. You are obsessed with this whereas most here really have little interest. in Denmark.

19. Likes Dualkit, Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    So now you say that we are disjointed. Add this to the mounting list of your many, many, negative statements about The United States. You are obsessed with this whereas most here really have little interest. in Denmark.
    Who's this "Denmark" guy?

21. Likes fusker, Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    Hmm, you will find out if you spend any time in this section.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmm, you will find out if you spend any time in this section.
    I accidentally Clicked the "last" button on the front page of this subforum a while back.

I thought I was in the wrong subforum- all the threads were about manufacturing in America and Europe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gordon is a usually genial Scot who moved to Denmark and has made his life there. He's knowledgeable and works in the area of metrology - a solid contributor on that topic IMO. If you also like hearing about how Denmark does things or his vacation travels to the US, his work travels to China, etc., you'll enjoy his posts. If you're not happy the US seems to come out on the short side of many comparisons (e.g. we're quite happy with our healthcare in Denmark), you won't enjoy his posts.

Personally, I don't see it as US bashing but a "convert" so enamored of Denmark he wants us all to know about it. Might even be nice to hear from others in other countries. It kind of surprises me that Gordon gets more push back than others actually bashing the US.

Personally, I'm more of the happy to have another viewpoint persuasion, but unless the topic is metrology I don't expect much more than a stirring of the pot in the many threads Gordon starts. While some complain, it's a surprise to me they haven't figured out we don't have to click on every thread he starts or post he makes. By view and post count he's probably the all time thread starter?

Could be Gordon almost single-handedly pushes Practical Machinist's post count into higher traffic realms?? Maybe the extra ad revenues are a boon to Don and his hosting of this site??? Could be we owe him an unknown debt of gratitude???? Anyhow, my opinion is that there is no need diss the man. Just don't participate of you're not interested in metrology or his take on manufacturing very loosely defined as in America and Europe..

25. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    Son of Sven Forkbeard, Knut was king of England, Norway, Scotland and Denmark, 995 to 1035 A.D.

Didn't last, though

27. Likes PeteM liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Obsession seems to be more your problem that mine. Probably something you didn't think about but you are proving what I posted.

You must love hearing Trump saying everything is greater, bigger and better since he became president.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Gordon is a usually genial Scot who moved to Denmark and has made his life there. He's knowledgeable and works in the area of metrology - a solid contributor on that topic IMO. If you also like hearing about how Denmark does things or his vacation travels to the US, his work travels to China, etc., you'll enjoy his posts. If you're not happy the US seems to come out on the short side of many comparisons (e.g. we're quite happy with our healthcare in Denmark), you won't enjoy his posts.

Personally, I don't see it as US bashing but a "convert" so enamored of Denmark he wants us all to know about it. Might even be nice to hear from others in other countries. It kind of surprises me that Gordon gets more push back than others actually bashing the US.

Personally, I'm more of the happy to have another viewpoint persuasion, but unless the topic is metrology I don't expect much more than a stirring of the pot in the many threads Gordon starts. While some complain, it's a surprise to me they haven't figured out we don't have to click on every thread he starts or post he makes. By view and post count he's probably the all time thread starter?

Could be Gordon almost single-handedly pushes Practical Machinist's post count into higher traffic realms?? Maybe the extra ad revenues are a boon to Don and his hosting of this site??? Could be we owe him an unknown debt of gratitude???? Anyhow, my opinion is that there is no need diss the man. Just don't participate of you're not interested in metrology or his take on manufacturing very loosely defined as in America and Europe..
    I'd like to have given that a "like" but I feel I'd be patting myself on the back

I mostly express personal opinions and experiences. There are other Danish PM members and they don't always agree with me but probably more than they disagree.

I've written more than once that Denmark isn't perfect. No country is but there are a good handful of US PM members that do seem to believe they live in "Gods chosen country". So be it. Same as every religion believes theirs is the only "true one". Can there really be an infinite number of heavens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Can there really be an infinite number of heavens?
    It's certainly clear that there's an infinite number of Hells.

I don't know if there's a law of physics that requires a matching number of Heavens.