Hoping this subforum keeps getting better and better .. Hello from new moderator - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Americans have never been more divided?

Bollocks!

During the Vietnam war passions were so high there were serious divisions within families that led to long term estrangement. There were other periods as well, including the awful periods before,during, and after the war between the states, which in many cases literally pitted brother against brother.
    Did you read that I wrote:

"Of course most of the USA functions as it should but (again IMO) it hasn't been this divided since the Vietnam war. Of course it all depends very much on how and where you live how things are and by that I'm not just referring to the USA."

It's the word "since" that's important and now underlined in my quote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The thing that pisses them off the most about Trump, a former Democrat, is that he understands confrontational politics and is a master of it. In the past most who wore the Republican label shrank from conflict and were too quick to apologize for standing up for beliefs.
    The only reason he's as mouthy as he is is because they've got the senate, and nothing can get past them.

We get that changed, and he'll be talking out the other side of his mouth. Hopefully, the democrats will drag this all out til the election, to illustrate how corrupt and crooked the republican Senators are that are excusing his treachery... .then, out they go.

Gotta put it out in installments, little bit at a time, to keep them off balance. Give it to them all at once, like they want us to... and they can lie and gloss over it.

Death by a thousand cuts is what I hope Nancy has in store for them. Keep them guessing.

3. Likes crazygoat liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And I've waited most of my life for a leader who has the guts to go overseas and even in front of the UN and tell them we will go a different way instead of apologizing for not jumping fast enough to their tune.

The thing that pisses them off the most about Trump, a former Democrat, is that he understands confrontational politics and is a master of it. In the past most who wore the Republican label shrank from conflict and were too quick to apologize for standing up for beliefs.
    As an American I can understand that as being how you see things. Non Americans (and not fanatically pro or contra either party) see your presidents differently. Some are more popular than others but I can't recall any of them being regarded as dafter than Trump. OK the second Bush wasn't exactly known for his intelligence but as far as manners go he beat Trump by miles.

You say Trump is confrontational. I regard him as a childish bully as does probably most non Americans. How can anyone (especially national leaders) trust a man that tweets his decisions and insults often several times a day? "I did it my way" takes on a whole new meaning with Trump and the nicest word I can think of is "unpredictable". That's not good in politics.

5. Likes crazygoat, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm afraid that the current holder of the office has reduced the standing of the Presidency of the USA to an all time low in the eyes of the rest of the world. As we say over here " He'd cause trouble in an empty house ".

You may say " So what, who cares ".

With emergence of China as a global economic super power even the USA needs friends and he's rapidly losing all the allies the USA has.

The standing of the USA in the world has suffered as a result of him being " leader ".

Regards Tyrone.
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 10-06-2019 at 12:17 PM.

7. Likes crazygoat, Hodge, Gordon B. Clarke, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bellicose statements followed by caution are far preferable to those who talk peace and then unleash hell at every opportunity.
    The same results can be had without the " bellicose statements". He's putting the country in peril every time he opens his mouth.
    He is a master at branding, though. It's a shame he is so self centered because if he put some interest in the country instead of himself maybe the USA would not be looked at the way it is now.
    Most of the world leaders ( other than the corrupt ones ) are just waiting for him to leave the office. They would much rather deal with a more sane and reasonable person.
    I am afraid when he does lose, he will not leave the office peaceably and with dignity ( dignity is not something he is known for ).
    I see trouble on the horizon.

9. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It'd be great if Tyrone and crazygoat were wrong. The problem the USA has at present is that they are right.

11. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    It'd be great if Tyrone and crazygoat were wrong. The problem the USA has at present is that they are right.
    I do not fear that at all. He stands up for American interests. It is about time really. Asking for allies and also trading partners to be fair is not wrong and in fact with trade negotiations the fact is a agreement with China will benefit all the countries who do business with China.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saint Donald John Trump is a hero.
    It is wonderful to see him upsetting the Commies to the extent that some of them will be having strokes and heart attacks.
    Never give up your guns.
    God Bless America.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMetalBasher View Post
    Saint Donald John Trump is a hero.
    It is wonderful to see him upsetting the Commies to the extent that some of them will be having strokes and heart attacks.
    Never give up your guns.
    God Bless America.
    You remind me of the cartoon character Ralph in " Wait Till Your Father Gets Home". Commies and conspiracies everywhere.

You post a lot on here but do you actually do any " metal bashing ", manic or otherwise ?

Regards Tyrone.

15. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is my basic problem...

Do we have a constitution outside the second amendment?

Does the 5th amendment have any teeth left, can we expect due process? (Due Process | Wex | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute) If so can one expect that an American citizen gets the due process from a foreign government? If you think the answer is yes, then let's outsource all your legal affairs to the Ukraine or China. If the answer is no, then how the hell do you accept that the President of the United States can demand an investigation of a US citizen in a foreign country? this is fuckin insane. If there is a legal problem with any US citizen the DOJ has to be the main investigative entity, who in turn can request assistance from foreign countries. Not that the DOJ is not in the thank for DJT, but even they won't touch that shit either.

dee
    ;-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There sure is a lot of manufacturing discussion going on here..

18. Likes Trueturning, camscan, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bridgedog View Post
    There sure is a lot of manufacturing discussion going on here..
    Aren't you cute. Why don't you go to a different section then, your mouse is broken ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t want to discuss manufacturing as it is so hard and boring. So politics is the big topic now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    I do not fear that at all. He stands up for American interests. It is about time really. Asking for allies and also trading partners to be fair is not wrong and in fact with trade negotiations the fact is a agreement with China will benefit all the countries who do business with China.
    He does not stand up for American interests, he stands up for his personal interests. Asking allies and trading partners to be fair is one thing. Asking them to get dirt on your political rival is illegal. It's called foreign interference.

22. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Don’t want to discuss manufacturing as it is so hard and boring. So politics is the big topic now.
    Did you want to talk about boring hard materials? How about entrenched political attitudes? There is something hard to get through

dee
    ;-D

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Getting just a little bit on track re this thread title. I'm being diplomatic at "hoping-subforum-keeps-getting-better" but IMO it certainly hasn't become worse. Yes, better than it was.

One of the things that does, again IMO, drag it down is when Americans rant (certainly never discuss) about which of their two parties is best. With the present government the Republican supporters (and PM members) seem to be the most belligerent. It makes it easy to see where Trump gets his faithful followers from.

The gap between "them and us" seems to just get wider and wider. If I was religious I'd say that God has given up. The Garden of Eden was a big mistake.

YouTube

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Getting just a little bit on track re this thread title. I'm being diplomatic at "hoping-subforum-keeps-getting-better" but IMO it certainly hasn't become worse. Yes, better than it was.

One of the things that does, again IMO, drag it down is when Americans rant (certainly never discuss) about which of their two parties is best. With the present government the Republican supporters (and PM members) seem to be the most belligerent. It makes it easy to see where Trump gets his faithful followers from.
    #1 Yet another shameless dig at Spinit...
    #2 I'm going to laugh my arse off at you when Trump wins again. It'll be MAGA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#109 Tyrone
    May I say how much I enjoy your engineering contributions to PM.

"You post a lot on here ..."
    Well no, round figures :-
    Myself, c500 posts, c300 weeks, 1.7 per week.
    Yourself, c8100 posts, c700 weeks, 11.6 per week, c7 times as frequently!

" ... do any " metal bashing ..."
    I used to, fourty years ago, on old machinery which was nearly obsolete then, but is not yet sufficiently obsolete to be discussed in PM "Antique Machinery and History".
    It is therefore very infrequently that I can add anything to the vast PM repository of engineering knowledge.

I do learn a lot on PM, thank you all.

"Commies and conspiracies everywhere"
    Not everywhere, but if you are not seeing any you are not looking very hard, start with the leadership and policies of the current British Labour Party.

Regards MMB.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMetalBasher View Post
    "Commies and conspiracies everywhere"
    Not everywhere, but if you are not seeing any you are not looking very hard, start with the leadership and policies of the current British Labour Party.

Regards MMB.
    For someone that admits to being pro communist at one time you certainly now seem to have flipped 180º. Back in the day (1950ties) in the UK many machinists leaned towards communism as it seemed right at that time with "class".

Communism today isn't anything like it was back then. Can you name a single country today that you believe to be truly communistic? Having one political party that dominates or excludes all others isn't IMO communism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First mistake of the week, I did not log in to PM.
    So I see #119, from GBC, who composes the whole of my ignore list.
    GBC, is, like every other PM user, free to respond to my posts.

GBC has currently 4K posts another 15K? were deleted. I have not read all GBC "contributions".
    Of the "contributions" from GBC which I did read, if there was anything meritorious therein, I either missed it, or I have forgotten about it.

MMB