How did YOU start out out? Tell your origin story...
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How did YOU start out out? Tell your origin story...

Seeing a recently closed thread with a less specific title, I was inspired to inquire, what is your story? How did you get in to manufacturing? Start your own shop/business? What were your trials and tribulations? Why did you get in to machining/manufacturing to begin with?
    Last edited by rusty old tools; 06-19-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Mods if you feel this should be moved to general than please do so.

2. Likes itsmeBernie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started out as a baby. Now I'm here, and as I recall, a lot of shit happened in between.

4. Likes IronReb, Mcgyver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started in my garage like most people moved out of the garage when the electrical system couldnt handle the load . Rented a space then bought a building. Make your own product.

6. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kpotter View Post
    I started in my garage like most people moved out of the garage when the electrical system couldnt handle the load . Rented a space then bought a building. Make your own product.
    I'd love to make my own product, but coming up with a product is easier said than done. Well for me it is anyway. In the meantime I'll keep job shopping.

It all started right out of high school for me. I was a Harley mechanic at the local dealer. One day I was playing in the machine shop ,and a customer I new real well came back there. He asked me if I liked machining. I said yes. It was fun to me. He says to me. Why don't you go get an apprenticeship and when I'm ready to retire you can take over my shop. He had a small job shop about 10 miles from me. I said ok sounds good to me. I found a shop to do my apprenticeship at and worked there for ten years until he was ready to retire. Now I've had my own shop for almost 5 years.