What's new
What's new

How do I move ahead with jobs given the changing business environment?

Jaxian

Stainless
So I have been waiting for things to get back to normal business wise around here. The two big FEAR button issues being rammed down our throats being Donald Trump (love or hate, either works) and Covid.

I know why neither have left the news for the last year it's not rocket science. Social Media, media and those correctly positioned in business have become unbelievably rich from the abuse of leveraged positions to take advantage of the fear generated by one or both of these boogie men. Also the rich have apparently gotten richer this year than in any period in history. Politicians quickly also figured out they could increase their personal power and influence by using fear of these two things. You have seen politicians and other political groups using fear to incite things that would have been unthinkable in the past. Coming from both sides of the aisle. Grabbing all the power they can.

But my thinking was that these things had a set end. Trump would be gone now or in four years. So a finite end. And the virus would succumb to a vaccine at some point, sooner more than later.

I understood that these two situations are so lucrative that the money grubbers and the power mongers would do anything to draw them out but they had to end some time. Probably within a few years.

So imagine my dismay but TOTAL lack of surprise when just as I am taking a breath and looking forward to things being back to normal in a few months I see the media and politicians starting to stoke the flames again.

There is now all over the news reports of new more virulent strains of Covid being found. So that's back on the FEAR table.

Also talks of ways to prosecute Trump even after he is out of office. Some that would take years to fully work though the courts. In the news every day. It would keep people on both sides fully invested.

I am very disappointed to find out the Social/Media and politicians have found new ways to smash the FEAR button and keep this whole mess going.

I can't even be surprised they don't seem to realize it is killing our country while they get more rich, more power.. or both. I get that power and money are addicting.

After watching The Social Dilemma on Netflix I am not even surprised that it has worked as well as it has. You can't beat a supercomputer trying to influence you unless you don't play. And of course it doesn't need everyone to, just enough to incite. So you can't even opt out to avoid the mess.

Really just like to get back to work. I have a new product that will need traveling and marketing and generally meeting with other people quite a bit for about a year. Can't do much here right now officially. They say our local hospital is at like 90% capacity. But I can't trust anyone.

If anyone has a suggestion as to how to get past these two issues I would love to hear it. Or just a way to deal with everyone being manipulated. Some way to reassure people it's ok to get back to work. Not to believe all the Doom Sayers. Or I think more to the point that neither the politicians or the media give a damn about them and stop being so gullible and being used by them.

The thought that they could keep our society permanently in shambles for their own benefit is terrifying, but sadly not unprecedented.

So many philosophical questions,so much agony!..........OK ,heres my prediction...within five posts this will degenerate into a political squabble with name calling by the usual suspects.....Sooooo dont worry ,be happy.....and try to avoid dying of the virus before you get the jab!

Thinking seems to be out of fashion. Gleefully giving in to fearmongers is much more "fun", it seems.

I have few answers at this point, because each one I give is shouted down by the same relentless horde. But here goes, because I'm stubborn too:

1) Encourage those you know to get one of the vaccines. It's tougher due to scarcity and the years of anti-VAX nonsense that's been promulgated by idiots who are working off a thoroughly debased and debunked study by a English crank doctor. Get the goddamn vaccine! Wear a mask, etc.

2) Stop listening to con artist pols who rile you up for your obedience by creating enemies, then telling you they're the only ones that can save you.

While they're asking for endless donations and your votes. Think!

3) Stop hating taxes. Yeah, that'll get a lot of support here, I know...

But wisely structured taxes allow lower and middle class jobs to be created, while tempering the out of control growth of the Mega-Rich. The structural disparity in this country is based on people being conned into voting pols into office who will bow to the rich, create tax policies that benefit their overlords, and yet as the same time call all taxes evil and against the middle and poor classes.

That's bullshit. Again, properly set up taxes allow a functioning middle class while preventing the growth of the Mega-Rich. Pay attention!

4) Education. The easiest way to lead people is keep them stupid so they don't figure out they're being swindled. Sound familiar? Fund education, including Universal Higher Ed! It will be the single most valuable and highest returning investment ever made in the country, but the demagogues won't like it because a smart electorate isn't as easily fooled.

5) Grow up! Stop allowing yourself to be conned by obvious con artists, who've made their intentions clear every moment that they steal from you. If you keep saying "Yes sir, may I have another!", then by god they will keep stealing from you!

Just some more shouting into the maelstrom. Can't help myself - I haven't given up on the human race yet, much as it's tempting...

Under central command this won't be your problem to worry about. Do what you're told, the science demands it!
2020 was only foreplay, a little warmup for what's to come, and the people will beg for more.

"Everything within the State, Nothing outside the State, Nothing against the State!"

It's your business, run it as you see fit. You can still travel, you can still meet people face to face with the proper precautions. Don't let all the white noise bother you. If you put a little thought into things you will find a way to remain viable.

Good luck with your new product!

Ignore the fearmongers and keep working. I do agree that face-to-face meetings are generally better, but I'm sure you can come up with workarounds. Adapt and overcome.

It's your business, run it as you see fit. You can still travel, you can still meet people face to face with the proper precautions. Don't let all the white noise bother you. If you put a little thought into things you will find a way to remain viable.

Good luck with your new product!

Travelling via truck and airstream, and stopping at KOA's would take longer than airplane & rental car,
but might be just what you need.
Keep Pushin' - YouTube

I just got an email today saying my band (CU) is going back to appointment only lobby visits. :rolleyes5: It doesn't affect me much as 95% of the time I just use the drive-thru, but still think it is stupid.

For me, nothing much has changed since the beginning of the covid shit show. My wife got it and recovered, even though the media says "oh if you have any health issues you'll probably die" (MORE OR LESS). Eventhough she has copd and other health issues. Sure, we had a little financial hardships without her paycheck for that time, but never missed a bill, or late mortgage payment etc.

That said, I do count myself as lucky having never missed work thru all of this, I know some aren't so fortunate.

OP, I guess all you can do is hope for the best and do what you need to do. Best of luck.

If you chop your arm off who are you going to call? I do not believe doctors are out to control us or a part of some subversive plot, the doc's I know are just as tired of this shit as we are.

I'm not an alcoholic or a jesus freak, but some days this past year this is all I have to go on.
God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change,
the courage to change the things we can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Old saying, (and yes it takes a lot of learning)

Don't meet trouble halfway ;-

Don't worry, grow anxious, or distress oneself unnecessarily over something that has yet to happen. Don't meet trouble halfway, or you'll end up paralyzed with indecision and anxiety.

I think/hope the Covid will be coming to end and an upsurge in spirits and the economy will result. A good time to apply for that best job.

But the good times likely not to last very far down the pike...perhaps 2 to 3 years if things go good (?)

People going back to work / jobs will aid the economy.

This could be a good thread if the site administrator would ban the T and B word.

The latest on Covid is that the t2 bio device can detect the two new strains of covid.

That the UK has to police wearing of masks is bad news. Wearing a mask is a simple thing and should be a given.

Pretty much all the normal rules have been thrown out under the current situation. Without travel and person-to-person contact, communication via the internet is about the only option left.

Time to get innovative. Maybe someone here has some hints for doing business in "the new (anything but!) normal"?

So restaurants and bars have gone into the shitter.
But manufacturing and metal cutting?
Yes sales calls a problem but usage and demand did not fall that much.
POs pulled back over fears of where are we but some of that normal in an election cycle.
Maybe the pull back fuels a time of rush orders with associated premium pricing.
Bob

So restaurants and bars have gone into the shitter.
But manufacturing and metal cutting?
Yes sales calls a problem but usage and demand did not fall that much.
POs pulled back over fears of where are we but some of that normal in an election cycle.
Maybe the pull back fuels a time of rush orders with associated premium pricing.
Bob

I have actually seen an up-tick at my work for what we do. We are looking at an order now that, if it comes to fruition, will mean a pallet machine.

Forget what was , everything has changed, the new norm is undefined, just do your thing and pay no attention to the outside word for a while.Things will steady down after a while...Phil

If you chop your arm off who are you going to call? I do not believe doctors are out to control us or a part of some subversive plot, the doc's I know are just as tired of this shit as we are.

I'm not an alcoholic or a jesus freak, but some days this past year this is all I have to go on.
God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change,
the courage to change the things we can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Plus a good spade and a patch of soft ground when all else fails...

PDW

Going into the covid times some businesses and stocks have taken a tumble in expected growth patterns.

Now with coming out there may be new opportunities to replace failed businesses and a turn in the direction of listed companies (stocks) revenues and earnings. Perhaps Q@ 2021 will show a great increase in revenues for some companies even that it is just getting bacj]k to normal.

Just the simple act of not going to trade shows is a big cost saving to some companies.

Some USA regions may be hot for job opportunities.

OSS for one small example has taken this time to focus on earnings and so has become a stronger company.

Some of the medical companies have found a new venue for business.

Some retailers and restaurant chains have gained and suffered.

Back