What's new
What's new

How is the western drought affecting your shop?

norb

Cast Iron
I have been watching videos of the drought out west. Is the problem as bad as it looks. How has this affected
manufacturing or your life out west. This looks like it will have a major impact on the U.S. economy. Why is this not getting more attention in the news?

In California it normally does not rain/snow from April - October so too soon to tell this year. Last year was dry and the fires are big because the fuel is dry.
Califonia rainfall is actually 50% or 150% of "normal". Very seldom is the rainfall anywhere near the so called normal amount. What we really need are deep snows that stay frozen late. This is what really supplies water. Last year all the snow was gone by Easter. Some years the ski resorts are open into june. The one near me only got something like 25' of snow a few years earlier it was 45-50'. Western snow tends to stay all winter long. Not melting off until spring, unlike the east US.
Many of the big dams hold 3-5 years worth of water. Lawsuits have forced them to dump water in spring to let Salmon swim up the rivers.
Bill D

Northeastern Nevada, not enough snowfall last winter, lots of fresh firewood because the trees did not get enough moisture. It was a hot and smoky summer, had a few inches of snow a couple weeks ago, and another dusting last night. Most of the precipitation here comes in the form of snow, a quick thaw here is better for getting it into the ground, otherwise it just sublimates. Pivot irrigation is still running on the alfalfa fields, so guessing the wells are not running dry, yet.

I have been watching videos of the drought out west. Is the problem as bad as it looks. How has this affected
manufacturing or your life out west. This looks like it will have a major impact on the U.S. economy. Why is this not getting more attention in the news?

Absolutely no impact on the economy.

It is a factor in the burning of thousands of businesses, houses, cars, boats, tv's and on and on, many, many families relocating, Insurance companies failing and or dropping customers western states, more shortages as a result, there will be some impact on the economy

the drought is cultural fiction just like "climate change" whatever THAT is and the great pacific garbage patch.
All fiction

You know, that could be correct, I have been noticing as of late ( last few years mostly ),

life in general has become much stranger than fiction.

it's all media hype.

First of all, it's a fucking desert. It's supposed to be dry.

But you get a bunch of greedy asshole developers come in and start building 100 housed on an acre of land, all with a pool and a plush green lawn with no concern for where the water's going to come from, blah blah blah.

Water wars have been going on here since dirt was discovered. I'd suggest watching the movie "China Town" which was actually pretty factual.

Pretty interesting articles in the MIT technology review recently

The fact free posts about it all being a desert are pretty funny

There are ways to measure past and present water levels.

If people are so self reliant, how about we just let them figure out where they can get water from?

If anyone is interested in some good reading on the subject of water policy in the US, I highly recommend two books. 1) Cadillac Desert, about the history of the Bureau of Reclamation & Army Corps as it applies to water, and 2) Where the Water Goes, about the Colorado River basin and western US water policy.

Jeff

Water is cheaper than oil.....how about a pipeline east to west ? We got plenty/too much.

When you notice fruits or other food that comes from California going up in price or replaced by imports it is due to this.

The California water system installed by Brown Sr. A Democrat was designed to sustain a 5 year drought when used as designed.

Not used that way as NOT native fish are paced higher on the list.

Pumping is blamed but more impact from Sacramento and Stockton sewer releases into the rivers.

Then Bass fisherman complain , bass also not native and they eat salmon too.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

You want crazy come out here....floods,endless rain,dams overcapacity,everythin washed away.....aaand....desalination plants running on megawatt- hrs of lekky,and mega bucks of taxpayer money cause they got longterm contracts that cant be shut off.

The San Jose water Co. recently sent out notice that new usage limits have been established. Use more, pay more.
People with breweries, lawns and swimming pools :bawling:

Back