Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    Is my read correct in that there appear to be serious issues and doubts over the long term supportability of the hardware buried in the committee report fluff? It also appears that some of these have existed for several years without being remediated.

Or is my understanding of the report incorrect?
    I can't find anything in the report that would make me want to choose Huawei for anything. It's really something. Outdated and unsupported components, fragments of different versions of OpenSSL with numerous known vulnerabilities, it just goes on and on.

Basically translates to "untestable products".

The more of it I read, the more convinced I am that we got this one right. The UK can't even mitigate the risks in their existing Huawei LTE infrastructure. Why in the world would they want Huawei build out the 5G?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Well there’s this:

African Union Bugged by China: Cyber Espionage as Evidence of Strategic Shifts | Council on Foreign Relations

Tech supplied and installed by China actively used for espionage.
    No. Not one shred of proof and it was denied by the African Union. Got that ? D-E-N-I-E-D.

Not by China, by Africa

Did you read the article ?

This discussion makes me feel like the mathematician in Jurassic Park. This whole 5g thing is a fucking stupid idea. It is going to blow up big time. It's as predictable as 9/11 but afterward everyone will be so surprised.

Shee-it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    The same issues were identified in the 2018 report, and the 2019 report says no significant progress has been made.

They say software is not able to be properly checked because they cannot compile a consistent binary from the source code. That doesn't sound like any vote of confidence I have ever read.
    It sounds like a complete cluster-fuck WRT source code control systems. I wouldn't willingly deal with any company with such sloppy build procedures.

One of the reasons I supply full source code and a list of the tools complete with revision numbers to my clients is so they can have confidence that if I drop dead, they can build a working binary.

PDW

4. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sitting on the sidelines in the peanut gallery,it all seems like sour grapes.......Huawei are already well entrenched in various costly schemes in this land,such as public transport ticketing systems and traffic flow controll schemes.......and I dont see anyone here thinking Huawei /Chinese intelligence knowing how bad things are run is a reason to pay double or triple to redo data infrastructure......The Chinese stuff is still going to be wildly popular with billions of third world users,solely on price. No matter how many tantrums the US has..... shutting the stable door ,and looking foolish afterwards......The time to stem this was 30 years ago with big tariffs against cheap imports........you have danced with the devil,and now must bear his child.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    No. Not one shred of proof and it was denied by the African Union. Got that ? D-E-N-I-E-D.

Not by China, by Africa

Did you read the article ?

This discussion makes me feel like the mathematician in Jurassic Park. This whole 5g thing is a fucking stupid idea. It is going to blow up big time. It's as predictable as 9/11 but afterward everyone will be so surprised.

Shee-it.
    Moss lad- ‘Denial’..... since when has that been a indication of the truth in such matters.

As stated in the article the AU initially denied the accusations as a means of maintaining relationships. They are now on record as being outraged by the effort from China and have replaced the entire infrastructure sourced from non- Chinese venders.

Did you read the article- it’s point was largely not that China was capable of espionage but would actually bother to carry in out in this region:

“Although this sort of spycraft is fairly routine, it signals Africa’s growing strategic importance to China.”

The author (and most everyone else including me) take it as a forgone conclusion that states commit espionage to the absolute extent of their ability when and where their national interests are at stake.
    “Denial” of such activity is simply what ones does.

But you are not so foolish as that eh- some folk even lie about the lies eh...”he told me really strongly they didn’t do it, I believe him”...

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Chinese have spent/invested billions in Africa,a land not noted for honest government........I would think they might at least want to know how much was being stolen by corrupt politicians and individuals......and possibly which Emirates or Russian banks the money was being sent to....A good deal of stolen African money is being invested in real estate in Australia,something the Australian government dont like talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The Chinese have spent/invested billions in Africa,a land not noted for honest government........I would think they might at least want to know how much was being stolen by corrupt politicians and individuals......and possibly which Emirates or Russian banks the money was being sent to....A good deal of stolen African money is being invested in real estate in Australia,something the Australian government dont like talking about.
    Maybe they also would like to do something before it is all gobbled up:
    The New Humanitarian | *UPDATED: A rough guide to foreign military bases in Africa
    The US Military’s Best-Kept Secret | The Nation

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a big country ,with plenty of desert to go around........quite a few US casualties in Africa too,dont get much publicity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Its a big country ,with plenty of desert to go around........quite a few US casualties in Africa too,dont get much publicity.
    I dont want to stray to far off the original topic but yes, sadly US troop deaths dont get much, if any airplay in USA. I remember seeing something on youtube of U S Special Forces ambushed in Niger that certainly was not on the 6:00 news.