What's new
What's new

I deserve a raise

dswilko

Plastic
So nearly a year ago I started a new job as a manual machinist since I started I have been setting and operating a HAAS es5 Miller and learned to program and haas st10 and now st25 with live tooling and y axis aswell as doing all of the manual machining and grinding which I'm also new too oh and not to mention I'm the only machinist we've got at least 10 have come and gone since I started so basicly I'm responsible for everything that gets made in my place of work and I'm still on £20,000 a year😂😂😂 is £30,000 too much??😏 not sure if this is the right place to post

Have you asked for a raise? Do you know what others doing the same work are making in your area?
Merit-based raises will be limited to a large extent by the 'going rate' for similar work. Some few industries give raises based on seniority, but these are rare and to my knowledge not applicable to manufacturing in general.

You're worth whatever you're willing to work for. Maybe that's something your previous 10 coworkers figured out before you.

As far as running all those machines, over here that's just called being a machinist. Mind you we're not typically asked to run the all simultaneously.

Location ?

Given he's using the pound symbol I think the UK is a safe bet

So nearly a year ago I started a new job as a manual machinist since I started I have been setting and operating a HAAS es5 Miller and learned to program and haas st10 and now st25 with live tooling and y axis aswell as doing all of the manual machining and grinding which I'm also new too oh and not to mention I'm the only machinist we've got at least 10 have come and gone since I started so basicly I'm responsible for everything that gets made in my place of work and I'm still on £20,000 a year is £30,000 too much?? not sure if this is the right place to post

many places give out raises to everybody once a year sometimes a particular month like April. pay raises are often in the 2 to 6% range per year
never heard of anybody getting a 50% raise

Haven't asked just yet but I'm having a meeting with my boss next week and it will be bought up

One guy who was hired for manual was apparently being paid 29000 he has 30+ years experience I only have 7 but he left cause it was too hard for him I actually had to show him how to manually part off a job and even how to operate a manual Bridgeport

Haven't asked just yet but I'm having a meeting with my boss next week and it will be bought up

many places unless you got at least 3 to 5 years experience you are still a new guy. some places give a bigger than normal pay raise after 3 to 5 years. pay raise like 10% or 20% after "apprentice or training period" again never heard of 50% pay raise before

I too wanted a raise, thats why 12 years ago i finally started working for me, the boss is a asshole, the raise has happened, im now on double what i was and i don't have to answer - go begging to anyone. Good luck getting 30K any were in Suffolk or east anglia for that matter from cutting metal. Expect and get use to lots of empty promises.

some companies just dont pay anybody very much. but you might not want to quit before you have another job. sometimes not easy to find a job. some places hire you on monday and they fire 50% of new people before friday
just saying if you get new job and get fired for whatever reason it can take years to recover from getting fired. never easy trying to explain why a person got fired from a job

Well you got to ask buddy! Have you ever called your cell phone provider or cable company to tell them they have been doing a great job and you'd like to put a little something extra on your bill from now on? The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Looking round my area ..... and one stupid one at 50k

Well that will have my old boss turning in his grave numbers like that, or should that be churning in his ashes of his council provided incineration - sorry cremation :-)

....and I deserve my 5 minutes back....

Try a better title, less whining, and oh yeah....USE SOME %$#@! PERIODS.

Somebody please call the wambulance.
Get off your duff, ask for more and if not happy go elsewhere.
What prevents you from getting these other higher paid jobs outside? Walk away if you are that good and not paid enough, ....that is what machinists do.
Never cry about where you are sitting or that is unfair, do something.
A year in and many others have come and gone and now you think yourself special. Maybe, maybe not.
Bob

Back