Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    NETHERLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Machinefabriek hardewijk in the Netherlands has capabilities up to 6 meters and 120mm diameter.
    Maybe they have a solution for your needs
    Acme Thread - Machinefabriek Harderwijk B.V.

And there are several german companys with those capacities also. So why search in us or china? Germany is much closer to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see a mention of what screw thread, but 150ksi structural threaded rods are available up to 3" dia and 50' in length. Williams Form Engineering is one company that makes them, DYWIDAG Threadbar is another, along with Skyline Steel.

Williams Form Engineering Corp. - 150 KSI All-Thread-Bar

I don't know if they'd thread different threads on for you or not, but the 150ksi A722 bar threads on a Williams are a coil thread style, other manufactures have their own thread profiles as well.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kram390 View Post
    Machinefabriek hardewijk in the Netherlands has capabilities up to 6 meters and 120mm diameter.
    Maybe they have a solution for your needs
    Acme Thread - Machinefabriek Harderwijk B.V.

And there are several german companys with those capacities also. So why search in us or china? Germany is much closer to you.
    And that's why I wrote, "Country of origin isn't crucial so it can just as well be the USA as China or some other country." in the OP just to give two "opposites".

4. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harderwijk whirls their threads
    Is that gonne work or do you need a rolled thread ?
    Big difference in durability
    A whirled thread needs a 100mm OD stock for a 100mm OD thread
    A rolled thread needs a smaller as 100mm OD So rolling ads another difficulty to the problem
    But if you make your own nuts you could just roll the treads from 100mm stock and see what the OD is you get

Thyssen Krupp can provide you with the long stock

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are very long lathes in the world, some still made, no? (Think of the lathes used in shipyards) Do they not have lead screws? (Likely acme of course....)

Whoever makes/made such lathes would have a supply for very high length to diameter threaded rods, no?

Put another way - @hanermo's post makes perfect sense, but very long lathes (and other machine tools) with very long lead screws/ball screws/etc exist - how do they solve this problem, and who makes those parts? Those answers would seem to inform the project Gordon has gotten involved in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The leadscrews on big lathes are screwed together The tread is coarse enough that you can match the threads
    But those threads do not see that much power

Peter

8. Likes bryan_machine, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I've tried Googling but no luck. Where can long, large diameter threaded rods (around 100mm / 4" and up to 10m / 30 feet long) be bought?

Country of origin isn't crucial so it can just as well be the USA as China or some other country.
    Why don't use a rod to turning the thread? 10meter will be a very long part. Even you buy it from China, how could you get it back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by precisetechnic View Post
    Why don't use a rod to turning the thread? 10meter will be a very long part. Even you buy it from China, how could you get it back?
    Forty foot containers will handle a 10M rod.

And I do appreciate your comment not simply being an attempt to sell a service.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all comments so far but at the moment I can't give more information than I have. I'll need customer permission. I hope in the not too distant future I can "tell the story" as IMO it will interest the most curious. I am very much involved and it will be a "hands on" experience.

12. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could try contacting Olav Rasmussen, which I use for threaded rods. Pretty close to you as well. Large diameter threaded rods - where to buy?

https://www.olav-rasmussen.dk

Sendt fra min SM-J510FN med Tapatalk

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An update. As things are at the moment no information can be given until at least the end of August. Sorry.

15. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An update. As things are at the moment no information can be given until at least the end of August. Sorry.
    The suspense is killing me, can't sleep, can't eat. Please keep me updated.

17. Likes camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in the uk, bright bar can easily be got that long from the mills direct, or it at least use to be able to. The cut off limit was about 13m from memory as more than that starts to prove problematic transport wise. Were i was use to get 7-8 meter bits of 60mm for large drive shafts on agricultural machinery, there was no surcharge either, just had to be ordered in from the mill hence took a couple of weeks to get.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Builders of large presses often use very long tie rods. Williams White is one example. Possibly you could get one to do the custom rods you require.
    Column Presses | Williams, White & Company

20. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've tried Googling but no luck. Where can long, large diameter threaded rods (around 100mm / 4" and up to 10m / 30 feet long) be bought?

Country of origin isn't crucial so it can just as well be the USA as China or some other country.
    Gordon, you probably figured it out by now but I was ordering some bolts and noticed these guys make up to 4" dia and 40 feet long:
    About Us - Haydon BoltsHaydon Bolts

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Gordon, you probably figured it out by now but I was ordering some bolts and noticed these guys make up to 4" dia and 40 feet long:
    About Us - Haydon BoltsHaydon Bolts
    That certainly looks interesting but I'll try and explain things as much as I am at liberty to do.

I have a customer (has bought my products 3 times recently) that has run into problems with their threaded rods for a major construction in a (to me) foreign country. I've been asked to help as their thread consultant (paid fee plus all travel expenses covered) and I should have been to the country in question over 2 weeks ago. At the moment I believe the company that made the threaded rods (a large number) are having to "do over" so my visit (if it still happens) has been delayed til ultimo August.

I've seen drawings of the construction and I believe I could have made suggestions that would have made things better but that ship has sailed now. The best I can hope for now is that I visit and teach on threads and thread measurement and be allowed to give advice on what to do (or not do) to avoid the problems they're encountering on the present project and avoid on the next project.

Since my first post I've received several detailed drawings and can see that the rods are only threaded at the ends and not the entire length as I first thought from the picture I was sent. My first thought was why thick walled pipes weren't used instead of "solid" rods but maybe there is a reason for that I'm not privy to. Pipes would certainly give a lighter construction.

23. Likes bryan_machine, converterking liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to wind this thread up then the following. I had been asked to go to a foreign country (outside Europe and Arabic) as thread consultant on a major construction. Travel by business class and everything paid for plus my fee.

The issue was problems with the threads on long rods. A few days before I was to depart they decided that the supplier should make new threaded rods. We're dealing with hundreds, maybe thousands of both external and internal threaded parts.

A couple of days ago I was informed that my presence was no longer necessary (but thanked for my help ) and I'm now assuming it's because the new threaded rods are OK.

Of course I'm disappointed but at the same time a bit relieved as IMO the thread type and pitch for the construction was not the best that could have been chosen. There might be a reason for using rods but personally I'd also have chosen thick walled pipes if for no other reason than reduced weight. Except for the threaded rods everything else was finished so there was no way to change the threads in the construction. I'd have hated if something happened and my name was linked to it.

Obviously I can't give location or names but I will follow progress and hopefully everything now goes as planned without further incidents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like post tensioning rods to me. That's why they are bars, not pipes. They would be stretch to put concrete in compression.

26. Likes Matt_Maguire liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gordon, I've seen this type of product used in certain foundation pilings, usually a rolled sinusoidal thread profile, basically the length is unlimited. perhaps look to the foundation and piling contractors for their sourcing. (check out building sites in your area that are in deep, damp ground). available hollow too, I think.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    Gordon, I've seen this type of product used in certain foundation pilings, usually a rolled sinusoidal thread profile, basically the length is unlimited. perhaps look to the foundation and piling contractors for their sourcing. (check out building sites in your area that are in deep, damp ground). available hollow too, I think.
    Thanks but these rods are not for foundation work and in fact are as good as the complete opposite. That's why thick walled pipes crossed my mind as a weight reduction. They are threaded at both ends, many different diameters (35mm to 120mm), and are used to "extend" by screwing into other threaded components. They will also be subjected to very warm and dry climate conditions and thus very far from me.

It might be a good idea to let this thread die as I don't feel I'm at liberty to give much more information.