What's new
What's new

The liimits or how tough can you speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbideBob

Diamond
This is mostly a wide open section of the our small piece of the internet.
People get excited . People make statements that we all will not like.
So we can sort of debate or downright argue here.
How far crosses the line to some PC hate speech.?
Can we agree to disagree and still respect the other as a fellow human?

If not, what does that say about us? Sitting at the right hand of God an you are the son? Does your shit not stink?
Do we ban those not like us in the most open section we have to speak freely.
Should we embarce views that are just all wrong in out heads as outside the box thinking.
We have China is OK, we have have China is bad.
And then we have the west coast or middle Brits. My freak flag flies.(perhaps only a few will get this poke across the pond with the smile that is intended here.)

Deal is. I will not be complaint and I will salute all those who will not be regardless if their views match mine or not.
I will never censor those with thoughts that I can not in any way agree with at my now position in time.
Bob

Attachments

• flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 91
A thought. How would you explain the way you just said something to/about someone to your (hypothetical) 12 year old daughter?

My opinion:
- stick with the guidelines outlined for the site, e.g. focus on professional machinists topics
- strenuous professional opinions are fine, but personal attacks are not...it's about encouraging discourse that allows for mutual learning and propagation of information related to the above

I like the Rotary 4-way test:

Of the things we think, say or do
Is it the TRUTH?
Is it FAIR to all concerned?
Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

Can't always satisfy all of 'em, but it's a good rule to think
about before speaking.

If I may mangle that timeless quote- "I might disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

This is mostly a wide open section of the our small piece of the internet.
People get excited . People make statements that we all will not like.
So we can sort of debate or downright argue here.
How far crosses the line to some PC hate speech.?
Can we agree to disagree and still respect the other as a fellow human?

If not, what does that say about us? Sitting at the right hand of God an you are the son? Does your shit not stink?
Do we ban those not like us in the most open section we have to speak freely.
Should we embarce views that are just all wrong in out heads as outside the box thinking.
We have China is OK, we have have China is bad.
And then we have the west coast or middle Brits. My freak flag flies.(perhaps only a few will get this poke across the pond with the smile that is intended here.)

Deal is. I will not be complaint and I will salute all those who will not be regardless if their views match mine or not.
I will never censor those with thoughts that I can not in any way agree with at my now position in time.
Bob

What were you on when you posted this nonsense?

Is it the TRUTH?

about before speaking.

It’s a little like the standard engineering truism
Fast.
Good.
Cheap.

Pick two.

Is it the TRUTH?

about before speaking.

The punchline to that joke is:

"And that's why Socrates never found out his best friend was sleeping with his wife."

Phew! It's a good thing politics has never had any consequences for manufacturing...

Well now I said technically :)

Yes politics can, will, and do affect manufacturing. But it seems that the discussions seem to wander off the path of manufacturing politics and into my political beliefs and right and yours are wrong.

There's three things I've learned not to talk about...politics, religion, and the great pumpkin - Linus van Pelt

But the conditions for pasty consumption on either side of the Tamar are quite different. In Cornwall with its arsenic containing Tin Mines the pasty was consumed by the miner holding it by the top crimp, which, being contaminated by his fingers was then discarded. Whereas in Devon amongst the dairy herds the cow man could wipe his hands on damp grass, so a side crimp that doesn't support the weight of the pasty was acceptable.

In my childhood we used to buy hot pasties at the then embryonic company Ginsters straight from the kitchen serving hatch, and take them up Kit Hill, which as everyone knows is a monument put up by the Almighty in praise of the Cornish Pasty. Ginsters were at the base of Kit Hill)

Kit Hill - Wikipedia

Due to the great controversy over whether pasties should be crimped on the side or the top. I'm strongly in the latter camp, having spent my teens in Devon.

And here I thought the great question that divided Cornwall and Devon was whether you put the jam or the clotted cream on first.

But the conditions for pasty consumption on either side of the Tamar are quite different. In Cornwall with its arsenic containing Tin Mines the pasty was consumed by the miner holding it by the top crimp, which, being contaminated by his fingers was then discarded. Whereas in Devon amongst the dairy herds the cow man could wipe his hands on damp grass, so a side crimp that doesn't support the weight of the pasty was acceptable.

In my childhood we used to buy hot pasties at the then embryonic company Ginsters straight from the kitchen serving hatch, and take them up Kit Hill, which as everyone knows is a monument put up by the Almighty in praise of the Cornish Pasty. Ginsters were at the base of Kit Hill)

Kit Hill - Wikipedia

Nice piece of lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back