Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fox News and all the others seem to be trying to load opinion so much it that it makes one wonder what to believe.
    You find one out of 100 and play his/her story and soon people are thinking is a true fact, or just playing one side of a thing... just repeating something often enough and many start chanting the same thing.

*How tough can you speak....Most people know when they are arguing, out of line or baiting the other person.
    I grew up on 8 Mile Road so know when you/I should lighten up or might get smacked, knifed or shot.

Now-a-days it seems many don't know when to just stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Fox News and all the others seem to be trying to load opinion so much it that it makes one wonder what to believe.
    You find one out of 100 and play his/her story and soon people are thinking is a true fact, or just playing one side of a thing... just repeating something often enough and many start chanting the same thing.

*How tough can you speak....Most people know when they are arguing, out of line or baiting the other person.
    I grew up on 8 Mile Road so know when you/I should lighten up or might get smacked, knifed or shot.

Now-a-days it seems many just don't know when to just stop.
    This is the problem with social media. When in a face to face communication event, we have the advantage of reading all of the tells that face to face communication allows. The tells are probably close to 75% of the total information in communicating face to face, without the tells, it is difficult to perceive the difference between real belief, irony and sarcasm.

Ultimately with face to face communication we also have the advantage of detente. If you or the fellow you are communicating with push the other guys buttons hard enough, there is the ultimate solution of the smack down. Since most people don't want to get hit we tread cautiously on how hard we push.

Since social media does not provide for any of this, we end up with uncivil behavior becoming common. It seems that most discourse on social media is nothing more than talking or shouting past each other and entrenchment of positions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When somebody can't be wrong no matter what the circumstances then there is a problem. When you tell,(and prove) that person where he is wrong and he just throws stupid insults then there is a bigger problem. When the same person is warned several times by the moderator and he ignores it then the problem is no more.
    Do I agree with banning? I don't know. If it is a person who has a perfectly good argument which you don't agree with then the pair of you need to get over it. If it is somebody who regularly (intentionally?) just argues to prove himself always right then que sera Sera.
    Do I have anybody on ignore? Certainly not and no intention to do so.
    Are there pain in the arses on this(and every other forum)? Definitely.
    Am I one of those? Who? Me?

4. Likes neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    Just what the hell is a liberal anyway?
    Considering where you live if you constantly vote with the masses in presidential elections you can find one by looking in the mirror.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Considering where you live if you constantly vote with the masses in presidential elections you can find one by looking in the mirror.
    When you left California did everybody say

"Goodbye, don't let the door hit you in the a**e!"

7. Likes Milland, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Banning is for spammers, not those that do do not match your view or say things that you do not like.
    No, Banning is for anyone that management sees who's actions get in the way of the objective. Its for sure for trolls and the excessively rude and anyone who serious detracts from creating a professional and courteous place that attracts normal people. THAT I'd bet would be more or less management's objective. This is not a university campus..

Spinit did what he saw as best for us. Good/bad call who is to say but he did what he did and how many of you wanted the job?
    He stepped up, you did not.
    100% agree. This sub forum was a train wreck and somebody stepped up. I disagree with him a lot but I think he's a conscious person, so this was no doubt a tough thing to do (both stepping up and banning someone) so be glad and thank the guy, way to go Spinit

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still think that banning GBC was a step too far. Thin skinned? Yes. Able to get under other people's skin? Yes.

So what. He had useful insights into metrology, life and business in Europe, and more. As always, people who didn't like dealing with him or reading his stuff can always skip it or put him on ignore.

The ban is an unhealthy decision.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't know the answer so you vomit forth some dumb-shit babble.

11. Likes Big B, Milland, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Somebody:
    X. Considering where you live if you constantly vote with the masses in presidential elections you can find one by looking in the mirror.
    X. You don't know the answer so you vomit forth some dumb-shit babble.

*Much the kind of baiting, arguing, name calling, out of line, other topic, smart mouth, needs a good slap answers that starts a wasted thread.

ops! ..This is from Anonymous not me.

13. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
    It's a handheld meat pie. They are delicious. Pasty - Wikipedia
    well, that's one kind of pasty ...

15. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As someone who never participates on this board I'm fairly neutral. I have opinions but could care less about getting into a pissing contest about someone's political leanings or point of view. For a thread to go south it takes two or more throwing slurs and vitriol back in fourth, everyone involved are guilty.
    Personally i don't really know Gordon but he generally conducted himself in a civil manner the few times i crossed paths with him. Was it possible he baited a bit? Maybe so but whoever bit was just as guilty. This thread is a prime example and he is not even involved with it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    well, that's one kind of pasty ...
    Aye...

(I don't normally post in this section but pasties ! ) [The Express News Paper , very reliable source ;-) ].

Why it’s a Welsh, not Cornish pasty | UK | News | Express.co.uk

^^^ The Welsh are now claiming they invented the Pasty 800 years ago ... (Welsh leeks included.).

My first degree was at Cardiff University / WALES … (being English that's a risk in itself , when you cross the Severn bridge where the GIANT friendly sign states in Welsh "celtic" * croeso i cymru** (Welcome to wales) and then they spray paint over that (in not very friendly letters. F*ck OFF ENGLISH ! ) as you travel over the border from England to Wales... They take the sign down move it closer to the border and still it gets spray painted within less than a week.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

BANNING ? On some forums they set a time limit … So a moderator can set a number of days limit. So a couple of weeks up to six months. For repeat offenses or just give someone enough time to cool down / break the anger / vitriol.

* Is Plaid Cymru Plaid Cymru - Wikipedia still burning down English holiday makers homes ?

** South Glamorgan was never Welsh speaking to begin with, but I applaud the (false) re-introduction of the language to the area though.

Did CarbideB really mean the Cornish flag... ? Was it meant to be Danish or Finnish ? Some German WWII tank battalions used the same flag also …

18. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    Aye...

(I don't normally post in this section but pasties ! ) [The Express News Paper , very reliable source ;-) ].

Why it’s a Welsh, not Cornish pasty | UK | News | Express.co.uk

^^^ The Welsh are now claiming they invented the Pasty 800 years ago ... (Welsh leeks included.).
    Given that a lot of cooking during the middle ages was done in a coffin, which was an inedible dough container, it doesn't seem much of a stretch that multiple places figured it out independently.

History of Pies, Pie History, Whats Cooking America

20. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
    Given that a lot of cooking during the middle ages was done in a coffin, which was an inedible dough container, it doesn't seem much of a stretch that multiple places figured it out independently.

History of Pies, Pie History, Whats Cooking America
    It's the special romance of having a pinched crust so you don't have to eat coal dust (down 'n pit) even though you are going to get silicosis...

Personally I think the empanada is far superior to the pastie (shhhhh !) . [Don't tell the Welsh ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Bob, one question is how to get inappropriately banned members reinstated. When a moderator has "gone rogue", who do you talk to? Don? Hate to bother him with stuff like this...
    I don't know and perhaps the best we can do is speak up and try to convince the moderator that we all do not want to see those we think differently from to "go away".
    That we banter to try to show our side of things.

There is not much bad you can say about me or my views that I have not heard. The more opposed the more I learn.
    Sometimes this goes into personal insults like have you lived here, or you a are a pucking dumbstrick.
    One can see hurt on both sides and sometimes this go on for pages but is it bad to let each vent?
    Is it "non-professional" or it the realizing that we all have some fight in us.
    What do you do when your employees get into such a fuss?

I have an opinion about about a pasty.
    Done right they are the food of the gods.
    Unfortunately this is hard to find and none in the UP in the last 20 years have been up to snuff.
    Part of my family went to to copper mines up there, some of them settled here.
    Grandma would take baskets of pasties to the sit-downers every day and there was a crowd at the window.

I am most certainly biased as these where the best ever as a child.
    An we all have a bias, yours will not be mine.
    You may not like pasties, you may think your food better. One could see arguments and just plain thinking the other side nuts.
    This could get into the point where it seems crazy and needs to be stopped..... or should it???

Many members here, each with his her own taste.
    Some will keep on posting forever when pushed to from the other side and each gets a little meaner although that may not be the intention.
    Ever cornered a coon or possum in the garage?
    This may get wild in this section. Is that bad or can we walk across 1-4 pages where a few do the ranting thing until they settle down?

The easy thing for Don would be not to have a open section like this. The fact that he does says something.

Perhaps a moderator could let things wind for a while and the step in and say "Okay, lets back off and agree to disagree".
    I don't fire people when they get in to arguments in meetings. At some point I do try to calm things down and sometimes this means being the loudest voice in the room.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    When you left California did everybody say

"Goodbye, don't let the door hit you in the a**e!"
    I just stated a simple fact. I suppose you are another liberal who lost their mind when Trump was elected, and spews extreme hate for anyone who does not share your views.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

''The limits or how tough can you speak. ''

How many more times ?

As machinists we have no limits, such things are for mere mortals.

25. Likes adama, Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You will never know how far you can go until you reach the edge.

27. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I still think that banning GBC was a step too far. Thin skinned? Yes. Able to get under other people's skin? Yes.

So what. He had useful insights into metrology, life and business in Europe, and more. As always, people who didn't like dealing with him or reading his stuff can always skip it or put him on ignore.

The ban is an unhealthy decision.
    Gordon was banned? At the risk of being banned myself, that was a weak ass move by a mod that quite simply isn't equipped for the job.

And before anyone goes off calling me a Gordon apologist, understand that I was never shy about telling Gordon to STFU and that he didn't need to comment on EVERY. SINGLE. POST. Heck, I even have PM's back and forth with him about it.

As far as Gordon's political views, he is from Denmark so naturally he is going to come across as a raging liberal to about half the members of this forum. In actuality, he was fairly moderate, and on his home turf would probably be considered conservative, but that is a discussion for another thread (which wouldn't be allowed on this forum anyway.)

Mods shouldn't allow personal beefs or political views to influence the decisions they make as moderators. If they can't do that, perhaps the job should be left to someone else.

29. Likes Milland, PDW, plastikdreams, JoeE., Mark Rand and 5 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see spinit hasn't been around lately, smart move on his part. I'm just not sure why everyone is saying he did something wrong. I will admit I don't always agree with his actions and comments in threads, but whatever we all do at some point with someone lol.