The liimits or how tough can you speak. - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I'm not on this site every day and don't read every post on the forum so there's a good chance that I missed that. I was also banned for a month and a half so I wasn't really keeping up with what was going on.
    In all fairness, Gordon was warned just as you were.
    Right wrong or otherwise, there was a heads-up.

Deleting past history however isn't right, ( giving Spinit the benefit that it was a mistake that he cannot undo. )

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Apparently Thermite isn't coming back, his choice.
    I do and will miss both Thermite and Gordon as friends here but I find post #67 a bit out there.
    All fine as a vent but why the big wind up and swing at another member?
    I don't understand so help me get it.

Should a moderator never get involved in a discussion or make their own points? Is there some line that such can't walk or cross and still be a moderator?
    A moderator can't have opinions or views of his/her own? You ask the impossible.
    I did not see the memo you state in bold case. CC me.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You evidently don't read the drivel Dr. X Y Z writes...
    Exactly the beauty of self imposed ignorance.

GBC didn't do anything that warranted being banned ...
    Perhaps not, but - right, wrong or indiff. - he WAS asked to move on from a particular subject ( or tangent as it may )
    Getting banned for not doing so ... not enough reason in my opinion. Gettin' a foot up the butt for a week or so OTOH is OK.
    Ox did that in his sandbox once or thrice when the kids stopped listening, and the penalty box apparently has fixed all the hearing issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I do and will miss both Thermite and Gordon as friends here but I find post #67 a bit out there.
    Agreed, it was uncalled for and the sort of content-free insulting post that should be moderated out.

Should a moderator never get involved in a discussion or make their own points? Is there some line that such can't walk or cross and still be a moderator?
    A moderator can't have opinions or views of his/her own? You ask the impossible.
    Bob
    My take on it is this:

If the moderator wants to get involved in the arguments, fine. However using your mod power to delete posts you don't like, can't answer or simply contradict your world view is completely unacceptable IMO.

That's not moderation, it's censorship and retrospective, sneaky censorship at that.

From some of the posts I could well conclude spinit was threatening me with banning too. "PDW sail off into the sunset" has an interesting tone about it, in hindsight. Given what he did to Gordon.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    You can walk into the roughest bar in Detroit and say anything, call people names and talk as tough as you like.
    But can you walk out again still in 1 piece

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob
    A mod is just another member, albeit with some additional abilities. They should be able to join in the conversations and interact with other members. How else can you moderate without being in it?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A moderators sole duty is to prevent matter that is libellous ,slanderous,contrary to the various laws of the land or seditious from publication,or to remove such as soon as is reasonable to a court of law.In other words to protect the owner/publisher from any action or penalty of law.Not to protect the sensibilities of various persons who may read such .

9. Likes tdmidget, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Moderators have a difficult job but they are needed to keep the site on track. That is why PM is successful.

Gordon was getting hot and way off tooling subjects along with one or two others. I suspect the moderator has a plan.

Agree two or more others were engaged in a senseless argument when Gordon got busted.

He (Gordon) is an asset even for having some of his differences.. Along with being smart and often giving some very good input.
    But he likes Metrics..how dumb is that?

I know I felt very upset when I got banned. Three and perhaps some others stuck up for me and helped get me back on.
    Yes likely some here are tired of me yacking about grinding and so would have me banned again, but I am a grinder and that is what grinders like to do. Why would anyone have a lathe and mill with not having a Surface Grinder..that is just dumb. And some guys don't even have a bench grinder.. they should be sh.. ops.

ops ..who said that?
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 05-21-2019 at 10:13 AM.

11. Likes tdmidget, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmawson View Post
    But can you walk out again still in 1 piece
    With several new holes though....

13. Likes andrewmawson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think its more than fair to say Pre Spinit the Vacancy was well advertised and very few others wished to apply.

15. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Originally Posted by Michiganbuck
    You can walk into the roughest bar in Detroit and say anything, call people names and talk as tough as you like.
    *But you should know and respect the consequences.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    You must be blind...spinit had warned Gordo countless times to "move on".
    Spinit warned Gordon to "move on" because he had a personal beef and/or disagreed with him politically. Using his powers as mod to ban Gordon was overhanded, petty, and juvenile.

18. Likes Milland, tdmidget, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The liberal hypocrisy runs amok these days. Liberals want to silence conflicting opinions, even though 90% of the media and entertainment industry is liberal, they whine and cry about Fox News and want them put out of business.
    Now Gordon, someone who is extreme left got banned and they are ready to riot. Liberals only believe in freedom of speech if they agree with it.
    If there was a liberal moderator stamping out right wing views, they would not make a peep.

20. Likes Newman109 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    The liberal hypocrisy runs amok these days. Liberals want to silence conflicting opinions, even though 90% of the media and entertainment industry is liberal, they whine and cry about Fox News and want them put out of business.
    Now Gordon, someone who is extreme left got banned and they are ready to riot. Liberals only believe in freedom of speech if they agree with it.
    If there was a liberal moderator stamping out right wing views, they would not make a peep.
    Get off your "liberal media" rant. It has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

And to call Gordon extreme left is just ignorant.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Closing thread

23. Likes Ziggy2, Rob F., fusker, AARONT, jancollc and 3 others liked this post