What's new
What's new

Major US retailer (who sold US products) bites the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sears fiasco reminds me if Bridgeport.

Both were operating companies that had problems but were sabotaged by corporate owners

Sears was worth more dead than alive.

Indeed.

I guess I have reached "a certain age", as I legitimately remember the big shopping plazas with major "anchor stores" as being quite busy and vibrant in the area I grew up in (NY and NJ). Now many of them are long gone, or even turned into condos and the like.

I say this having just gotten an Amazon delivery not 20 minutes ago. It arrived with broken glass due to storage jars being packed without padding. :angry:

Ah, progress...

I think I read somewhere that the year Sears discontinued their catalog is the year Amazon launched. I guess my lifetime alignment is no longer valid. Shucks.

I remember when they were thick as fleas, you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a dozen of them.
"Sold US products?" Some were.

It only mattered when they had Michelin tires and really decent batteries. Then they got out-competed.... what? Easily forty years back?

So it is only Trump's fault because Lied-in-Buyed-in is a cluster-f**k?

Yes, back in the olde days we swung cats and had fleas.

Condolences to both. The cats. And their fleas.

Don't judge me...

Does "nobody actually gives a s**t aboucha" class as 'judgemental'?

Or simply tired of hearing "MS Milly-Malice say 'Orangeman = very-very bad-bad" ?'"

BFD

He's still rich. Those who plotted against him were caught on their own record at their mis-deeds, are sinking as if in quicksand.

Elected Democrats are hitting the silk if not also the wall. 28 so far, 30 to 36 before they lose the midterms badly enough to set a new all-time record for that.

And you are still TDS'ed crazed, silly-Milly.

What do they know that you won't EVER know?

Seek a career as an evil s**t.

Accomplish your goal to widespread recognition.

What did you THINK was going to happen when your evil was OUTTED?

Lie harder, Trump takes a pill, you vanish?

Do let us know how that works out.

This time, 2023. And again 2025.

Fool.

The Sears fiasco reminds me if Bridgeport.

Both were operating companies that had problems but were sabotaged by corporate owners

You are blaminmg the fire in a crematorium for prior death from ill-health, old age, bad lifestyle choices, disease, and drive-by shootings.

Morticians aren't murderers. Only the clean-up krew for what has already died.

"Owners" don't "sabotage". They make new choices.

That is not "ALL" bad.

If a(ny) business cannot hold its own against competition?

The bits DO get sold-off.. "recycled" in a way. Their business had already failed before wotzisname walked into the room.

"Recyclng" might be done by some other business that can make better use of the resources. Or not.

Not fair to the taxpayer to support failed firms as if on on "unemployment" dole or a handicapped stipend.

It was a bummer to see sears go belly up. The writing has been on the wall for many years though.

The last sears hardware store I was in sold mattresses and bedding; weedeaters and lawn mowers; hand tools, garden tools, kitchen utensils, paint and home appliances. They just never had anything that other vendors couldn't offer. Their business model stopped growing 30 years ago.

Anyone here ever been to a Menards store? That very easily could have been sears had they been focused on growth.

Menards has more options on the shelf than Home depot, Lowes and Sears combined. If there is an electrical, plumbing or hardware solution available...Menards has it. Everytime I go in there, I find new products that I didn't even know existed.

Menards has more options on the shelf than Home depot, Lowes and Sears combined. If there is an electrical, plumbing or hardware solution available...Menards has it. Everytime I go in there, I find new products that I didn't even know existed.

Menards is pretty much just around the Great Lakes, right? Hope they start opening some stores on the Eastern Seaboard.

Menards is pretty much just around the Great Lakes, right? Hope they start opening some stores on the Eastern Seaboard.

It looks like the majority of them are. From looking at their map, Illinois and Wisconsin must have one on every corner. I believe they started in Wisconsin. It shouldn't be long before they reach out further east.

https://www.menards.com/store-details/locator.html

I prefer Menards over the other 2 for most things, especially lumber.

It was a bummer to see sears go belly up. The writing has been on the wall for many years though.

The last sears hardware store I was in sold mattresses and bedding; weedeaters and lawn mowers; hand tools, garden tools, kitchen utensils, paint and home appliances. They just never had anything that other vendors couldn't offer. Their business model stopped growing 30 years ago.

Anyone here ever been to a Menards store? That very easily could have been sears had they been focused on growth.

They must be doing SOMETHING right. Menards has been showing up on searches for hard to find goods for many years, but no stores near Northern Virginia.

As to Bezos empire?

If Amazon has control of the ad space and returns 80% of all hius,FIRST?

I go and find another source. Or even a different product.

There's ONE f**ker who has enough money to be a danger to polite society, and already pushing it waaaaay too far as it is.

Ain't gittin' a DIME of my meagre spend.

They must be doing SOMETHING right. Menards has been showing up on searches for hard to find goods for many years, but no stores near Northern Virginia.

As to Bezos empire?

If Amazon has control of the ad space and returns 80% of all hius,FIRST?

I go and find another source. Or even a different product.

There's ONE f**ker who has enough money to be a danger to polite society, and already pushing it waaaaay too far as it is.

Ain't gittin' a DIME of my meagre spend.

I haven't stepped foot in a walmart in 3 years... but I'd be lying if I said I never buy from Amazon - I don't like it but it's just too damned convenient at times. My worst amazon blunder; last year I ordered a pair of Mitutoyo digimatic calipers and they delivered a box of disposable toilet bowl scrubber pads :rolleyes5:

Mcmaster isn't too far from me, I get next day shipping from them on most items AND they still carry a lot of US made products. I'm also not too far from Grainger, the Parker Hanifin store or fastenal so my necessity for amazon is fairly limited.

Probably because the U.S, Gov't needs Amazon web services....

"Back in the day.." first paper letter not carried by private dispatch courier, and first primitive telegraph, onward, National "PTT"s (Post, Telegraph, Telephone) carried water, each for their sovereign nation.

Then the "PTT's" were broken up, "privatized", went multi-national, (T-Mobile was a Deutsches Post "PTT" venture). Many got into sharing ownership and their blanket with foreign powers... ATT & China, and not-only.

And the technology changed ...

Even so, not as comforting a feeling when Russian-founded Google and Bezos animal AWS take on the role out of greed and leveraged opportunity that "Ma Bell" once performed with great discretion out of shared concern for America's well-being.

Disclosure: Cable & Wireless pensioner.

See "Zimmerman Telegram" and not-only.

GCHQ: The Secret Wireless War 1900-86 by Nigel West

Five Eyes - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back