What's new

Manufacturing Expansion

• Thread starter otrlt
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 3,604
O

otrlt

Manufacturing expansion in the United States is clearly underway. For my business, it became noticeable in 2014.

What I see today, is a complete saturation of manufacturing activity growth thru out North America and Canada.

I have never seen this level of expansion before.

for the record, I'm over 58 years old.

The larger the country the longer it takes to change things. A tanker needs more room to maneuver than a yacht. Took a while for almost all to recover from 2008.

It'd be nice if things continue to go well. Good luck.

The Manufacturing expansion that I referred to is unique, and it's characteristics have never been like this ever before.

What I see is the industrialization of parts of the country that have not been as active in this field before. As of now, manufacturing activity is rampant everywhere east of Denver. From the Canadian border to south Florida. From large corporations thru small family owned business (that are quite often located in rural areas), there is a noticeable surge in production.

As for the West, especially the South West, activity seams a-bit muted.

In closing, I will point out the strongest regions; Cleveland, Detroit, Minneapolis and of coarse my favorite; Wichita, Kansas.

1) lowering of taxes for individuals and businesses. like news saying refunds are down when in reality my tax rate percentage went down and total income taxes i paid went down a large amount. so my income to buy stuff went up like a lot of businesses
2) deregulation or reducing expensive regulations
3) raising tariffs of imported goods. sure exports go down but more stuff made in USA. the total is a gain more jobs than loose for jobs in the USA
got nothing to do with 2008 recovery so much as reducing taxes and regulations and increasing tariffs on imported items done by most countries especially China. you dont hear Chinese complaining about tariffs they pay more for items imported from USA, like never ever hear it, not once. price Chinese pay for Soybeans and other food grains imported into China going up in price. you think they would complain. you wont ever hear it.
my income cause of increased overtime last 2 years increased about $30,000 a year. more people buying houses are starting to find houses have increased in price 20 to 30% cause people got more money and are bidding on same houses driving prices up. not unusually for home seller to get more than $10,000 than they were asking. people with money are competing against one another for same houses. that will increase inflation. prices go up cause people got more money and can and are willing to pay more. just like in a old Gold rush town. price of everything goes up
factories being built take 2 to 4 years to start manufacturing at 100%. they are being built now in USA. sometimes its more a upgrade or modernization. still they are starting to manufacture from factories being built couple years ago. Tesla is one example. this is lowering unemployment too.

Our gauge here is M-97, With help wanted signs and busy at rush hours we know USA jobs are up.. Yes that is the way M-97 now. Yes mostly small shops here but they serve the bigger shops.
With job demand up wages will soon be up also,

I havent seen it this busy ever in 26 years in business. Every shop I speak to in New England is backed up 3-6 months. Everyone is hiring and they cant find enough people to fill positions. Swiss CNC shops have openings on all 3 shifts at every company that owns citizens,tsugami,star machines. I have customers bringing work back from China and are willing to spend significant capital to get production costs as low as possible for long runs.

Outside of machining, my friends who paint houses, do construction,own restaurants and other service businesses. They all have newer cars and most of them feel comfortable getting mortgages and they have new houses.

It seems like everyone is feeling way better about our financial future. I know driving old cars and eating bologna sandwiches gets old after a while. Those days seem to be over for a while. It definitely makes me sleep better at night.

Dan

It'd be nice if things continue to go well. Good luck.

To be quite honest, I am expecting a down turn, but I am also reasonably confident that it won't be nearly as severe as what happened in 2008.

Why am I so sure? In 2008, the US manufacturing sector plummeted to a significant low point, a decline that spanned more than 40 years stopped dead in it's tracks right there. Since then , it's been a steady climb, and now many are surprised that this engine is showing signs of acceleration.

US Manufacturing is prepared for a slowdown,

the question is, when will it come?

Back