UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mark in Portugal View Post
    Is that an accusation of some sort?

Everyone in the developed world is taken care of by their government to some extent. Isn't that what we pay taxes for?

Even in the US, people pay their social security and at some point receive government care in return.

Governments collect tax revenue and provide essential services (at least). Most citizens agree on some needs; police, fire, military, borders, roads, bridges.

Europe considers health care an essential need, and EU governments guarantee heath care to EU residents.

The system has it's flaws for sure. But the bottom line is that everyone has access to health care without the fear of bankruptcy.

And there is freedom of movement without having to worry about health cover and preexisting medical conditions.
    No accusation. Your making a decision that best fits you needs. Some play it safe and stay in thier comfort zone while other make decisions that can result in great rewards but can also result in great loss.

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mark in Portugal View Post
    Is that an accusation of some sort?

Everyone in the developed world is taken care of by their government to some extent. Isn't that what we pay taxes for?

Even in the US, people pay their social security and at some point receive government care in return.

Governments collect tax revenue and provide essential services (at least). Most citizens agree on some needs; police, fire, military, borders, roads, bridges.

Europe considers health care an essential need, and EU governments guarantee heath care to EU residents.

The system has it's flaws for sure. But the bottom line is that everyone has access to health care without the fear of bankruptcy.

And there is freedom of movement without having to worry about health cover and preexisting medical conditions.
    fear of bankruptcy vs fear of receiving inadequate care, one you can live after and recover, the other one - not quite, and in the latter case - average Joe with no connections is left on his own pretty much

I can't speak for the rest of the EU, but here you better have a decent envelope in hand when you significant other goes into labor, in my mind it is completely despicable behavior, but sadly it is the norm, because workers there are underpaid and constantly asking for raises, and most other areas of health care are similar, and you can't complain because it is free

if you don't care about how your taxes are spent - sure, less to worry about, but when you do look at how/where it is spent, you'd rather think that less tax and a bit more responsibility on yourself isn't exactly bad, but that requires educated and informed society, and I think we can all agree that the trend is pretty much the exact opposite in both cases

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Hillary never became president though. She was never subjected to similar.
    So now it's gone from trump being the most investigated human ever to the most investigated human PRESIDENT. It's pretty hard to follow your lack of logic. Once again, it seems like I'm talking to a 3rd grader.

4. Likes crazygoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    You ended up on the street.
    Sounds like you have never looked at google streetview do I'll fill you in. The google camera car drives down the street and takes 360 degree photos of everything around them, including our yard. You really should get out more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    more than half "genuine legitimate US voters" ....So who comprises the other half of the voters?
    Obviously your math skills are lacking so I'll try to educate you here. "More than half" and "half" equals more than one. To equal one it would need to be half and half, not more than half. No wonder you cult people have such a difficult time understanding elections. You'd rather just listen to lies from your dearest cult leader and then whine when you don't get your way. What a bunch of morons. Did you drop out of school in grade school too?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    So now it's gone from trump being the most investigated human ever to the most investigated human PRESIDENT. It's pretty hard to follow your lack of logic. Once again, it seems like I'm talking to a 3rd grader.
    “ Once again, it seems like I'm talking to a 3rd grader.” That is only the case if you are within ear shot of yourself when you complain.

8. Likes Pathogen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Big B....what's with the constant reference to 3rd graders? Do you hang out with 3rd graders?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like you have never looked at google streetview do I'll fill you in. The google camera car drives down the street and takes 360 degree photos of everything around them, including our yard. You really should get out more.
    I will try to get out more it all can wear me out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems that your priority is reside where most of your needs are taken care of by the state rather than
    rely on your own skillsets to succeed.
    If there is some skillset that allows a person with a family history of cancer to avoid getting it, I'd like to hear about it.

Same for age related diseases. You sound like a young person with little life experience and think you are invincible. Time has a way of changing minds on things like that.

12. Likes crazygoat, Tyrone Shoelaces liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread has been overtaken by the political zombies that reside here at PM.

If you read my opening statement, I was warning many of you to not be negative on the US economy, but instead it turns into a political storm.

I guess, this may be a good sign. The fewer people that think like me... is very good.

14. Likes Gobo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If there is some skillset that allows a person with a family history of cancer to avoid getting it, I'd like to hear about it.

Same for age related diseases. You sound like a young person with little life experience and think you are invincible. Time has a way of changing minds on things like that.
    Having cancer sure changed my mind on my invincibility. It also reminded me, as an old man now, how wrong a lot of my thinking was when I was young and dumb. Now I appreciate every day when I wake up still breathing.

16. Likes Gobo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crazygoat View Post
    Having cancer sure changed my mind on my invincibility. It also reminded me, as an old man now, how wrong a lot of my thinking was when I was young and dumb. Now I appreciate every day when I wake up still breathing.
    So now your old and dumb and a Democrat. Sucks to be you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So now your old and dumb and a Democrat. Sucks to be you.
    Definitely old, a lot smarter then you. FWIW, I am an Independent. No it doesn't suck to be me, but it would suck to be you. You have so much to learn and by your attitude on here, maybe so little time to learn it. But, as I do with most people, I wish you well in your life endeavors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A good friend of mine brings the same thoughts to me every time I see him.
    Thank god for every day you have.

This thread could use more thanks for what we have.
    Time will put us and everything we know into the past.

Spending so much time in such deep division is a waste.

Country
    PORTUGAL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    This thread has been overtaken by the political zombies that reside here at PM.

If you read my opening statement, I was warning many of you to not be negative on the US economy, .

I agree, I think the US is going to soar in the coming years.

I'm an expat in the literal sense, I am not a US patriot; I care no more (or less) about that country than I care about others. I'm just looking at things from an economic point of view.

Interest rates are low, demand is about to explode, and there's a lot of work to be done on all sorts of things.

Americans are really good at that, reinventing, tooling up, investing in new ideas.

People are afraid of the new energy economy, but I think the US is going to ride that wave and thrive from it.

And we have a new medical economy too, an aging population and some amazing new medical technology coming along to meet the demands of those who are willing to pay for health.

As soon as you Americans pay for the research, we'll probably get it cheap here in Europe as usual.
    Thanks for that, really.

21. Likes otrlt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's hard to believe it took a magazine like 'Vanity Fair' to start exposing the truth. Where was Time & Newsweek? Where was the New York Times and the Washington Post?
    V.F. normally writes a bunch of rubbish, but not this. It is a really well done article. IMO it is a very in-depth, well researched, heavily sourced & credible article. If you've not read it, I recommend it

The Lab-Leak Theory: Inside the Fight to Uncover COVID-19’s Origins | Vanity Fair

23. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    Even the wealthiest and most respected business people are getting Bearish. Most are warning of inflation and the likelihood of certain doom.

When Warren Buffet tries to explain away his poor recent performance, and at the same time, calling for inflation, he's done.

This is an extremely bullish contrarian indicator.
    I think it's comical when a company's stock becomes a commodity, sees its stock price jump over 2000%, and the supposed experts can't figure out what's driving the price growth. That reminds me, I need to speak with my accountant as I don't think the tax man will honour the tax free portion of my tax free account.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    A good friend of mine brings the same thoughts to me every time I see him.
    Thank god for every day you have.

This thread could use more thanks for what we have.
    Time will put us and everything we know into the past.

Spending so much time in such deep division is a waste.
    True. Predictability is even found in something as silly as the discussions.

I know you can do well regardless of environment because you are trained to do that. I know also that you both buy and sell. Full press involvement risks and all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Around the globe, there are about 50 eatrh quakes over Magnitude 2.5 every day. And at present, there are around 45 active volcanoes spewing un-calculated volumes of "red hot magma" and various oxides (carbon dioxide..;-)

Doom? We are only spectators to the play of Gia.

I wouldn't mind seeing commiefornia fall into the ocean...;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As for some expecting doom and gloom, there are always cycles of optimism and pessimism. Those who go against the "herd" are known as contrarians and often do quite well when others are claiming the sky will fall.

IMO there is still much upside potential for the USA, albeit with some dips and downturns.

Trboatworks has it exactly right. Give thanks for what you've got. Things that appear huge at the time often seem minor in the long haul.

28. Likes Trueturning liked this post