What's new
What's new

Metric Bolt Sizes

jamestheo

Plastic
Metric bolt sizes of required magnitude and at adequate measure for all field connectors of metal to metal which are to be permanently bolted. Unless high-strength bolts or other particular cases of bolts and washers are determined, general bolts are provided. The additional 2% of each metric bolt size chart (diameter and length) is provided. Rivets of required magnitude and in adequate measure for all field links of metal to metal which are to be riveted field links. The additional 10% of each rivet size is provided. Shims presented as essential for make-up of lasting links of metal to metal. Back-up cakes or run-off pills that may be needed for ground welding.

Metric bolt sizes of required magnitude and at adequate measure for all field connectors of metal to metal which are to be permanently bolted. Unless high-strength bolts or other particular cases of bolts and washers are determined, general bolts are provided. The additional 2% of each metric bolt size chart (diameter and length) is provided. Rivets of required magnitude and in adequate measure for all field links of metal to metal which are to be riveted field links. The additional 10% of each rivet size is provided. Shims presented as essential for make-up of lasting links of metal to metal. Back-up cakes or run-off pills that may be needed for ground welding.

:).........................

kq4q5h7f-1498751693.jpg

If we were talking about metric nails I would say we have hit the nail on the head. I own multiple metric pliers and crescent wrenches. using non metric versions of those tools means death to metric nuts and bolts.
It is a good thing that Harbor Fright has a wide assortment of made in china tools to use on your metric fasteners. That way you know the tool was designed and made fully metric. I am sure the only possible reason people complain about HF tools is they try to use them on English size fasteners. No one outside of the USA, where metric is the standard, complains about HF quality.
Bill D.
PS: I remember wehn Sears sold a special conversion kit for crescent wrenches. It was a stick on ruler for the jaws.
Bill D

If we were talking about metric nails I would say we have hit the nail on the head. I own multiple metric pliers and crescent wrenches. using non metric versions of those tools means death to metric nuts and bolts.
It is a good thing that Harbor Fright has a wide assortment of made in china tools to use on your metric fasteners. That way you know the tool was designed and made fully metric. I am sure the only possible reason people complain about HF tools is they try to use them on English size fasteners. No one outside of the USA, where metric is the standard, complains about HF quality.
Bill D.
PS: I remember wehn Sears sold a special conversion kit for crescent wrenches. It was a stick on ruler for the jaws.
Bill D

Sure, but what do you do when all you have is an Imperial hammer and the nails are metric? Inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes5:

Sure, but what do you do when all you have is an Imperial hammer and the nails are metric? Inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes5:

I have never seen a metric hammer. All i have ever seen are labled in ounces. What measurement did Vulcan or Thor use to order their hammers? maybe cubits or carrats?
Bil lD

On edit. Thor's hammer weighed a "lot". I learned tioday that lot is a unit of weight in old german equal to 14.62 grams which does not seem like a lot to me.

Again different measurements are used. The Stein (stone) had variation of 18 pounds. In Königsberg it was 40 Pfund (pounds, lbs.) in Danzig 34 Pfund and for Schafswolle ( sheepwool) it was 22 Pfund.

1 Zentner = 110 Pfund 51.448 Kg

1 Stein = 22 to 40 Pfund

1 Pfund = 32 Lot 467.7 grams

1 Lot = 14.62 grams

Is all spam metric?
attachment.php

I thought the chart he referenced to was pretty good.I'v got some newbies that I'm going to give it to.
I don't know if he is a spammer or just lacks in composition?

Clipped head nails designed for nail guns do not meet code in the west or hurricane country. They will probably be banned in your state soon if they are not already banned. Metric or English makes no difference there.
Bil lD

What happens when you tighten a metric bolt with a ft/lbs wrench? Is that the same as dividing by zero?

Dunno, but judging by crescent wrenches US only uses bolts with left-hand thread.
Why else than left hand bolts you would reverse the adjustment screw on crescent wrench? :D

For metric right-hand fasteners you need Bahco or some other european made wrench. :crazy:

...I have a big B Hjorth &Co #87 (Bahco),and its LH adjuster,similar size Dowidat #72 ,also LH ......but all the others I have are RH ,and the Chinese also have RH adjuster......The big Dowidat#72 has the millwrights favourite bodge ,slot the adjuster ,and use a loose but quick adjust.....I really hate that .

Be careful when buying a nail gun or nails for them. The clipped head nails are not code approved in the west or in hurricane regions. Probably will be outlawed in the entire USA soon. Not because they could be metric but becasue there is no testing results on them and there pullout resistance varies depending on load direction compared to head placement. A regular round head nail can not be turned the wrong way relative to load. that kind of mistake is easy to spot with railroad spikes so they are allowed.
Bil lD

Back